Go Figure

by redskymedic 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• redskymedic
    redskymedic

So, after browsing through this website and then taking the search for the real 'Truth' about the WTS into my own hands, I decided to confront my JW mother. I stuck with the date-changing (1914, 1975, 2000) and asked what the explanation was since I have been gone for over 10 years now. She was quiet for a minute, then told me there was an explanation but she would have to look it up. Hmm. Ok. This is someone that in my head has always 'known' the bible inside and out. I asked her if the switching of dates and the generation that was not to have passed away now having died, didn't strike her as odd or make her have doubts. Her answer to me was this, "If 99% of what they tell me is true, then I am not going to worry about the other 1%". I almost asked her for the definition of TRUTH, but it was obviosly a fruitless discussion and I let it drop. She flat out admitted that they were wrong but wasn't phased in the least. Amazing what mind-control can make you overlook.

Just thought I'd share . . .wasn't sure if I should find it funny or just downright pitiful.

Red

• Mulan
    Mulan

I've had similar conversations with my mother. Now we have agreed to not discuss it.

One thing she agreed with me about is that truth is truth, and doesn't change. If something is true, it's always going to be true. But she would back down to the WTS views, when put in a corner.

In the past she would always say she will believe the Bible over historical reports any day. Even proven ones. That really seemed like a huge leap of faith to me. But she said if she didn't have her faith, she would be lost. At age 92, I'm not willing to mess with that.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

But that`s what the Bible is is a historical record written by men!!

Who we know are imperfect! So how much of the Bible is factual,

and far from what really happened??? All organized religions today

have manipulated the book to fit their own beliefs.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    "If 99% of what they tell me is true, then I am not going to worry about the other 1%".

Would your mother drink a glass of water if it contained 1% poison?

...man I love using their own illustrations against them

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

My mother and I finally agreed a few months ago not to talk about it any more.

When you think about it, ALL religions are WRONG about something. People just gotta pick and choose what they think is the worst thing to be wrong about.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

Reminds me of the time I talked to my mom about the literature issue. The society claimed that they had gone from selling it to takening donations for some spiritual reason or other. Truth was it was the result of a class action lawsuit they had lost, teaming up with Jimmy Swaggart no less. I told my mom about this and she asks "where did you read this?" I said "The New York Times" she replies "how are you going to beleive a wordly newspaper over the brothers?" I replied "why not, they quote the times often enough when it suits them. Obviously it must be somewhat valid." Thankfully she later faded out, though for entirely different reasons.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

With most of them, you just can't win.

When I've had conversations with some of them, ultimately they throw their famous trademark phrase: "Let it in the hands of Jehovah and he in time will straighten out all matters."

Just can't win!!!!!!

DY

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They honestly believe that it is all truth, don't they? I did for 30 years or so.

A few weeks back I got an email from my sis-in-law . She was pounding the info from the latest Circus assembly about how soon the end was,ect. Her basis for the statement? Because the 'slave' is issuing strong warnings about it now! Wow - that's news!

I told her I have had all the End-is-coming- the -sky- is- falling nonsense I wanted to ever hear. that I had gone thru the 1975 fiasco -and wasn't buying it anymore. This was apparently her first knowledge of our having drifted out entirely (I think till this we had just gotten 'weak' in her mind). For that one sentence she has gone on an all out duck-hunt with me in her sights - I think I may get disfellowshipped for Christmas this year!! if she has her way! My name is now proceeded with the Title - Apostate I think.... You know, like Brother Smith becomes Apostate Smith.

She won't even answer my emails now. Funny how they will spend thousands of hours trying to find a new witness - but one with a doubt is not worth the time it takes to save him or her? Of course I don't want 'saved' - but just the same. Funny priorities.

Jeff

• Fleur
    Fleur

aww, Red. I know how frustrating that is. I have personally given up trying to explain anything to my mother (and other members of the family who speak to me, which are very few). There's no point.

She doesn't hear it, anyway. She said that she is sticking with the organization no matter what. I know that she doesn't know how else to live or process what happens in life. It has to go through the "Jehovah is going to fix everything " filter or she just can't handle it.

I know, though, that on some subconcious level, she knows it's a lie. Because it's eating her alive. I'm watching her health deteriorate. She looks so much older than she is. She's so frail.

But she would rather die 'in the truth' than live with the knowledge that it wasn't true after all. So I respect her, and no matter how she baits me, I won't discuss it with her anymore. It just makes us both feel worse.

hugs

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit