Cute but very disturbing... Send your kid a letter from Santa...

by Elsewhere 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Starfish, I really love that story. Thanks for sharing.

• wizedup
    wizedup

I remember my parents putting $.25 under my pillow for the tooth fairy. ( I believe teeth go for much more nowadays.) I also grew up believeing in Santa. However, when I caught my Mom with her hand under my pillow, I was really hurt and disappointed that my parents would lie to me. I didn't let her know I was awake. It hurt for a long time, then I put two and two together and figured there's no Santa either. I always wished they told me the truth. I felt foolish when kids at school knew before I did and all the time I defended my parents "word". "IT IS SO, THERE"S A SANTA, 'Cause MY MOM said so!!! " Maybe it's only a beginning of realizing parents can be "dishonest" at times, however there was a trust factor that always seemed to surface when I needed to know something. I can think of better ways to show kids our "human" side.

I never lied to my children about it for that very reason and they don't lie to their children either. They appreciated the honesty and passed it on. Fairy tales are still fun as long as everyone knows it's only fun.

P.S. WE were all Catholics at the time. No JW issues at all here.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have none PLENTY of adults that believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny and even the Loc ness monster as kids.

And they are all just fine, thank you. I don't think letting them have fun with the Santa fantasy is going to screw them up. I think maybe the kids that were lied to about more important things in life may be screwed up.

Don't blame it on Santa or the Easter Bunny.

• Princess
    Princess
    even the Loc ness monster as kids

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING??!!! Nessie is real dammit.

I was really hurt and disappointed that my parents would lie to me.

Well, that's a sad story. I'm sorry that was such a disappointing thing for you but I think you really are a minority on this one. You are the only person I have ever heard say that the Santa fantasy affected you negatively.

I found a letter on the hearth this morning. It's to Santa from Rhys. He asked Santa to write on the back of his letter which one of our ornaments he thinks is coolest. Rhys thinks the Star Wars Clone fighting guys (can't remember what they are really called) are the coolest then he signed it...your #1 fan Rhys. It's absolutely precious and I'm going to copy it before Santa can write the reply. It did take me off guard though because I really didn't think Rhys actually believed in Santa. I thought he was just playing along.

BTW, is it OK to have Star Wars fighting dudes on the tree? They have guns and everything, really quite cool actually. Steve and I were looking at them the other night and pondering whether or not a violent ornament is appropriate. Hell, they are from Hallmark and Grandma Mulan bought them so they must be OK, right?

• flower
    flower
    Personally, I think this was a bit rude:
    I was also very much against the idea of me working my ass off to get the money for something and a fat old white guy getting the credit for it.

Santa deserves more respect

lol...cute. i hope santa will forgive me and still bring me presents.

• teejay
    teejay
    My son was extremely distrustful from the get go - he knew by 4 that there was no such thing as a true Santa. He was always just to damn analytical about everything. ? pettygrudger

Four, huh? Man, that's funny!

... when I caught my Mom with her hand under my pillow, I was really hurt and disappointed that my parents would lie to me. It hurt for a long time, then I put two and two together and figured there's no Santa either. I always wished they told me the truth. I felt foolish when kids at school knew before I did and all the time I defended my parents "word". "IT IS SO, THERE"S A SANTA, 'Cause MY MOM said so!!! " ? wizedup

That's sad. Certainly one of the very real downsides to being taught/believing in Santa. How old where you when you found out, btw?

Still, most kids are unaffected by the realization that there is no Santa and never draw any connection to the fantasy and dishonest parents. I can't say for myself about that, though. My mother became a loyal Dub when I was five, so the realization that there is no Santa Claus was never something I had to deal with personally. I was never taught about him to begin w/.

I wouldn't mind my five-year-old experiencing the magic of Christmas like other kids, but my JW wife makes that impossible. Hopefully Baby Girl is the last generation of this particular branch of my family's tree to be so influenced by the Watchtower Society. I can only hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit