Cute but very disturbing... Send your kid a letter from Santa...

by Elsewhere 45 Replies latest jw friends

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

What about those poor elves? Can you say SWEATSHOP?

Compare:

alt

• shamus
    shamus

Did you know if you changed the words around in santa you can spell satan?

Ever hear that one at the kingdumb hall???

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Since we are talking about Santa, here's my comment: Belief in Santa doesn't equal "magical Christmas memories", so disbelief in Santa and still celebrating Christmas can still bring forth magical Christmases

I haven't seen anyone state that kids must believe in Santa or that disbelieving negates "magical Christmas memories" Also, no one said that not believing in Santa would harm a child in any way. Folks here (and in a couple of other threads on the same topic) are defending "belief" in Santa because there are others who have stated that it is harmful to children. I don't believe that anyone who has defending that practice/tradition has sent the argument in the other direction, saying that it is required.

Also- "belief in Santa" does equal "magical Christmas memories" for many.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Also- "belief in Santa" does equal "magical Christmas memories" for many.

Let me rephrase: belief in Santa isn't required for "magical Christmas memories" (not that anyone said it was, but I can say it nevertheless). So it's not a big deal to many of us not to include that particular aspect in our celebration.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I heard that one Shamus.

I used to celebrate christmas when I was a kid. The only thing that made me believe in a Santa Claus were the cartoons and films shown at that time. I knew where my presents were coming from and it wasn't some fictional person who represented whatever anyone wanted to project on their own good feelings and sentiments. I appreciated my parents love because THEY expressed it.

Of course, that is my own perspective. Maybe I missed out on something.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Hillbilly, I wasn't suggesting hat Santa and the GB are the same. Although I do think that Santa and God are the same!

-Oh no he didn't just compare God to Santa!

Some two-bit outfit that sends pretend letters supposedly from a supernatural being, now THAT'S worthy of the GB.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

SP----.back in the day, I knew a JW family who told their kids that "Santa just does'nt visit Witness kids....."

Now that, my dear, is a lie. That kind of spin is what hurts young minds.

~Hill (I saw mommy kissin' Santa Claus class"

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I've just gone throught the "Is Santa a real person" question with my little girl....

That question was the easy one - then I got hit with "Why did you tell me there is a Santa, if there isn't one really!

I thought for a minute and told her "It's a thing adults do to make Christmas feel more magical and exciting for little children, then, as they get older, we let them know the truth!"

She was happy with that - no psychological damage, no trauma!

Personally, I reckon kids would love to get a letter from Santa - it would heighten the whole christmas excitement.

Bull!

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Santa is the symbol of the "Spirit of Christmas" - so therefore he exists in our hearts if we "Believe".

My son was extremely distrustful from the get go - he knew by 4 that there was no such thing as a true Santa. He was always just to damn analytical about everything. I explained that santa was the symbol, and that believing in him as a "little person" was the first step towards understanding the true nature of Christmas as a "bigger person". This worked good enough for him. His heart wasn't broken - he learned to move on to the "bigger kid" learnings of Christmas....and he never once tried to disuade others from believing.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Having been raised JW, and told by my parents that non-JW parents "lie" to their children re: Santa, I was of two minds whether to perpetuate the Santa fantasy with my own babes. But hearing my never-JW hubby's memories of Christmas morning made up my mind for me. He and his sister used to have to wait upstairs in the bedroom Christmas morning while their parents went down and got coffee going, turned on the xmas music and the lights on the tree; and then their mom would ring the jingle bells and say, "Thank you, Santa! See you next year!" The kids knew then that it was time to go downstairs. Every xmas morning was the same; and they both have wonderful memories of this. In fact, the first year I celebrated Christmas, was when I was 18, and we did this then too, though we were all in our late teens. :) Of course we knew it wasn't real; but it was still a kick. So yes, Santa is welcome in our house. My son has a fantastic imagination; and since my explanation for Santa's seemingly-impossible feats (getting into our house when we have no fireplace and the doors are locked? flying through the sky?) is, "Santa is magic!", he will eventually realize that magic isn't real; and therefore neither is Santa. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit