Do you and your significant other share religious beliefs?

by MelbaToast 35 Replies latest jw friends

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Sometimes, I think my husband is much more church oriented than I am. I still get upset when I attend church, but lately he has been putting the push on me for us to go back to his church where he grew up in. He would like to start taking our daughter so she has a somewhat structured religious belief. I am somewhat against going to church (duh) and stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will however take her for special occasions....but I am really at a loss of what to do. I don't want to push any type of belief on her.

Any experiences from the forum? What do you believe?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I grew up Dub. Mrs. O grew up Catholic. So ... do we share beliefs? Yep. Probably 80-90% or so, even though I haven't been a part of Dubdom or any other church for more than 20 years now. We certainly have our differences ... and we wrestle with those ... but I think it's moe productive for a couple to seek out some common ground than to argue about the differences.

• Valis
    Valis

only in the Church of Sexual Healing...

Sincerely,

Distrcit Overbeer

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Hubby really doesnt press the issue. He just thinks it would be nice if we go to chuch as a family sometimes...I can see his point too...but Im not sure if I want to go along with it yet. Every time we visit, there is a donation envelope in the pew and contribution box AND and offering plate.

There you go valis, being all Marvin again....you better be careful he got shot by his father! lol

BTW....are these what I think they are? Are those big kahonies are do I just need more therapy?

Melbatoast

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

My S.O. and I are as far apart as we could be on our beliefs. Myself, being an ex-dub, I am TOTALLY over God, Religion, or anything that even hints of it. My S.O. comes from a very religious family, and is so into Jesus, and the "Praise the Lord" philosophy, that at times it makes me want to. He gets so irate with me sometimes that I do not believe On the other hand, you should see how mad I get when I have Jesus thrown in my face We are at the point that we are finally learning not to discuss religion, (or the lack thereof), and it seems to allow us both to keep our sanity...

• Triple A
    Triple A

My wife and I share the same believes and it gives us common ground, even when we differ on things. Our faith is the most important thing in our lives.

I don't want to push any type of belief on her.

If you do not teach her, someone else will and it probably will be something you do not like. If you do not give her instructions, how do you expect her to make a Choice later in life?

Every time we visit, there is a donation envelope in the pew and contribution box AND and offering plate.

Seem that you view the envelope, contribution box, and offering plate as something evil or at least an unwanted obligation. Some churches do put pressure on their members to contribute. Let your husband know that you do not care for that part, if the church he is going to is pressuring you into putting money in the plate. Perhaps the both of you can find a church you are more comfortable in that does not put the pressure on.

One thing on giving. Some people put the pressure on themselves when the plate is passed. The Lord wants a cheerful giver, not someone that is forced. So make sure it is the not you putting undue pressure on yourself.

The church we attend passes a plate, but no record of what one gives is kept. Unless it is over $250.00 and a name is attached. That is because the IRS requires a reciept for any gifts totalling over $250.00 given in one day to an organization for it to be counted on an individuals tax return.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Do you and your significant other share religious beliefs?

We do now, but when we got married I was a JW trying to get reinstated and he was is Athiest. He was cool with me raising them as JWs though..

Now I am Agnostic so all's well.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Stinky where do you find all these hot mamas for your avatars? I liked Alicia Keyes, now who is this?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I just changed it like two seconds ago. My current is Eva from the show America's Top Model. My last one was R&B singer Ciara.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

well... i'm a skeptic and my better half is a hardcore beliefer... not the hyperactive JW, but really believing it all, you know. no chance to talk about anything faith related.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit