GOT A LITTLE STORY TO TELL YA.

by outoftheorg 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

My wife and I live in a rather small town. Around 5500 residents and about another 2 to 3 thousand on the outskirts.

We have a very good hospital here, considering the size of the county and residents.

My wife is a nurse and now is the office mgr. of the home health dept.

It seems that there is no end to the several things the hospital is involved in that call for volunteers. Needless to say, that I am asked to do things, even if I didn't volunteer. smile

Well we went to the annual "festival of trees". This is where people will obtain a christmas tree and decorate it, give it to the festival and it is put up for auction.

They also have quilts and other items where you buy some tickets and may win one of these items.

People are invited and there are several different types of food and wine and they are free. Although most people will donate.

There are doctors, nurses, office staff, all segments of the population and lots of children there with their families.

The trees are bought at auction and go from 200 to 800 dollars each, as they are bought mostly by businesses or wealthy people and some not so wealthy. This is then donated to the hospital foundation that uses this money to purchase new machines etc. for the hospital.

There are always some who donate their time to entertain the participants. Small bands or comics etc.

The city donates the convention center for free. It is people working together to truly help others.

This is real charity with no pressures or looking down on those who have less to donate than others.

One example that always almost brings tears to my eyes is ( IVAN ). He has been severly mentally and physically challenged since birth. He puts around town on his three wheel bicycle.

His mother first, then his father have passed away. He always knows about any goings on in town that may have food. Several of them need tickets purchased to enter. He is never denied entry even though he never has the money.

He was with us tonight. Several people checked on his well being. The people of this little town have taken up the responsibility of looking after Ivan.

He can wander into the city offices and the mayors office and he is accepted and watched over. He can wander into the police/sheriffs office and he is welcome treated kindly and then told when he has to leave.

At times he needs chastizing and it is done. Just as one of us would do for our children.

Compare this life to that of jehovah's witnesses. Which one has true love and kindness. Which one really reaches out to the poor and helpless.

While this little town has its problems just like many others, there is at least an effort to help the orphans widows and poor.

While I do not agree with everything the town does, I am proud to be here. I never was proud of the wbts and their organization. I will choose these worldly people over the jw's every time.

Just my experience and I thought you may like to see a little town in operation.

Outoftheorg

• formerout
    formerout

Outoftheorg,

I know exactly what you mean. When I was younger I always felt that I was not being fair to others. I mean, we couldn't buy Girl Guides cookies for Pete's sake. The JW's perceive themselves to be all kind and loving while they are in the org., however if/when we leave we see the real picture.

Good for your town to take in this unfortunate person into your collective hearts and homes.

Brad

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

I bought girl scout cookies all the time....you cant beat their peanut butter cookies...they're great!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

There are Witnesses and there are Witnesses .......... As for our part, we have alwayg given to charity work, children in Africa, hospitals for the ones with heart problems or cancer, calendars, cookies, you name it. But in order to be accepted as a "real" Witness, you can't do that, and if you do, such as we do, one is looked upon as being suspicious - even if one is an elder, like I was. You're not in the inner social circles. But I wonder if not slowly this is becoming more and more common, that one donates etc. - at least in Europe. From many postings here it seems USA is far stricter than it is in Europe.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

el jarocho - welcome to the board!

Cool about the Girl Scouts cookies...you must have been a really fringe Witness. :-)

SNG

• dorothy
    dorothy

Wow! I want to move there! This place sounds great. I am also happy to hear that your town is being so nice to Ivan. Please give him a hug for me next time you see him. I have always had an extremely soft spot in my heart for mentally challenged people.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Yes, that is something we have in my hometown (same size) as well.

A handicapped man (down syndrom) who collected "old papers" he is welcome in every shop, with the celebrations at school "Easter", "Sinterklaas" and "Christmas" he is joining too.

The handicapped are part of the community - in a small town thats possible, in the big cities they are anonymous.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

A very heart-warming story. Thanks for sharing.

Kwin

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I truly see "worldly" people are NORMAL people... finally !!! Yeah!!! It's wonderful. I have found so many wonderful people, loving people once I broke free. Your story is very sweet.

About the girl scout cookies, I remember the ban against them... augh... forgot about that too. But I buy them now because they are too good not to.

• Redneckgurl
    Redneckgurl

I live in a small town, too. The love and kindness you speak of is something that was always a stumbling block to me being a really "good JW" I couldn't see what the JW's were doing that was so great to help people, even people who were in the congregation, like the worldly people I knew. I saw more judging and criticizing than anything. I have so much more love for people now, and appreciation for the good things in life. I also love volunteering and helping people, something I didn't feel I could do before, helping the "world". I still feel guilty about that, not being a better person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit