Removed from being an elder for being over weight?

by frankiespeakin 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

Oh my gosh, I can't believe that. That is terrible. How humiliating for those people that he did that too. The mean bastard.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I remember some of the brothers talking about this guy - Caramelous - he had been our CO just before I got the 'truth' in about 1970 - in Indiana. Probably same guy.

Does anyone remember Gerald Grizzle C.O? He was here in the early 70's - I kinda liked him on a personal level - of course i was young and dumb!

Jeff

• Gill
    Gill

The presiding overseer of the congregation we used to go to once saw a certain new sister in town shopping. She was wearing cycle shorts despite being very overweight. He stopped his car, ran up to her and told her that she was not dressed as a christian should be and certainly not how an obese person should be dressed.

She immeadiately disassociated herself and said she NEVER wanted to hear of the witnesses again.

The elder was no 'slim jim' himself and neither was his wife which was the more shocking thing.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

So what if the servants or elders had a thyroid problem that made them overweight? Or were on some type of medication that made them gain weight? Or some other genetic issue the prevented them from being healthy?

God it really gets my goat to see people judge someone over something they know NOTHING about. Modern-day Pharisees! Bastards.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    So what if the servants or elders had a thyroid problem that made them overweight?

That was exactly my problem, and the elders were constantly on my ass for being overweight. I eventually got tired of explaining my medical reasons to them, as it is really none of their business. I finally told one that my stomach, large as it is, is still nowhere near as large as his mouth, and far less offensive.

I was punished by having my microphone privilege removed!

Their loss.

Walter

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Good for you Walter,

I eventually got tired of explaining my medical reasons to them, as it is really none of their business. I finally told one that my stomach, large as it is, is still nowhere near as large as his mouth, and far less offensive.

This type of jugdementalism is very offensive, I'm glad you got some satisfaction. I'm sure most here will agree. The WT can make us very insensative to our neighbors problems. I'm still working on mine.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I finally told one that my stomach, large as it is, is still nowhere near as large as his mouth, and far less offensive.

Good come back Walter,

It is amazing how often elders think they should stick their noses into some one elses life. Most of them have more than enough problems of their own.

As far as an elder being removed for being overweight it would never happen where I live. If they kicked out all the porky elders and those who liked tothey would have to dissolve several congregations.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I remember Caramalous. He was our co when I started College. That was back in 1969, and he demanded that my Dad step down as an elder because I was in College. My Dad refused, and challenged him to show him from the Bible that education was not allowed. Since he couldn't, my Dad told him that he could show from the Bible that Jesus was 30 years old before he began his full time ministry, and up until that time, he was learning a trade...getting an education. He said that since the son of God was getting an education until the age of 30, that he felt that it was more than reasonable for me to continue my education for a few years beyond high school. He further said that he knew a number of people that the society put through college in areas that would be of benefit to the society. My Dad said he would be happy to discuss the idea that education is ok for those the society chose, but unacceptable for everyone else.

My Dad remained in his position....Caramalous backed down. Bullies usually do when they meet their match. Smart man, my Dad.

I also remember Caramalous burping loudly from the platform...then asking "What color was that?" "Burple", he answered....

Coffee

• Makena1
    Makena1

Coffee - I know I would have liked your dad!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have copied in some words from the Insight book on Greed. I have never heard of this being used to punish anybody before, but "Stranger things have happened in 'The Lord's Organisation'"

"Greed can manifest itself in love of money, desire for power or gain, or voraciousness for food and drink, sex, or other material things. The Scriptures warn Christians against this degrading trait and command that they should avoid association with anyone calling himself a Christian "brother" who practices greediness. (1Co 5:9-11) Greedy persons are classed with fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, men kept for unnatural purposes, thieves, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners, and indeed, greedy persons generally practice some of these things. If an individual does not turn away from his greediness, he will not inherit the Kingdom of God.?1Co 6:9, 10."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit