Sacred Feminine

by New Castles 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I think anything that makes a distinction in man ie..male/female is to invite conflict. Man exist as male and female that is how he came to being,, to treat one more special than the other is unclear thinking and vanity.

Huh? Are you kidding? Patriarchy has done this exact thing for millenia. JWs did it in saying women were in subjection to men and couldn't be teachers. Maybe you didn't see this part:

when they investigated cultures where it was a female deity, they found that it was peaceful and that it treated males and females as equals

When the Goddess was worshipped for thousands of years prior to biblical times women were celebrated as lifegivers. They were not worshipped as being better than a man, the society viewed them as equals.

To not make a distinction between male and female is to ignore reality. I think the difference should be celebrated. No one here has suggested that we raise or elevate women's spirituality over mens. Just that we recognize it. Our brains are wired differently, that's a scientific fact. It just follows that we worship differently too. Most religious services have not been geared to recognize/honor/respect that. These books and this thread are taking up a subject that has long been pushed away as not worthy of discussion or too "fluffy", and says, yes we SHOULD talk about it. Because when we are whole and complete within ourselves, when we celebrate our femaleness we can be better wives, mothers, sisters, partners, people.

Sherry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sherry:You make excellent points.

No one here has suggested that we raise or elevate women's spirituality over mens. Just that we recognize it. Our brains are wired differently, that's a scientific fact. It just follows that we worship differently too.

In all fairness, and I know this is only a generalisation, women tend to be more spiritually inclined.

IMHO men often tend to approach ritual with a logical "this goes next" kinda view, rather than totally entering into the spirit of it.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Not all ancient goddesses are peaceful and compassionate. In many civilisations there are violent and bloodthirsty female deities, such as Canaanite Anat (whose myths provides the best parallels for such Biblical expressions as "smashing the skulls of the enemy"), Hindu Kali or the Greek Erynies.

IMHO the equality of rights is rather something to create over -- and in spite of -- our cultural history, than to look for in some "primeval mythology". It will only be a "truth" if we make it such.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Even the Bible says that we both were created in his image, both female and male. If God is love, and God is perfect, then would it not follow that both are loving and perfect, making them equal in the eyes of God? I think everyone on Earth has an opposite side to their gender that should be explored, celebrated, and nurtured. Yes, even the Good Ole Boys! hehhehe. Why... even ole' Bushie gets teary-eyed sometimes!

Country Girl

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    IMHO men often tend to approach ritual with a logical "this goes next" kinda view, rather than totally entering into the spirit of it.

Exactly, LT.........and the point Sherry was making when she pointed out that there are differences between men and women...........but, that insteaad of using the differences as points of contention, harmonize and utilize both energies........... Terri

• New Castles
    New Castles

Awesome points, keep it coming!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sherry wrote:

To not make a distinction between male and female is to ignore reality. I think the difference should be celebrated.

Terri wrote:

...but, that insteaad of using the differences as points of contention, harmonize and utilize both energies...

I totally agree
    I bet you use that chatup line with all the guys

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Narkissos, good points, also about the non-peaceful goddesses.........the Celts had The Morrigan.......a bloodthirsty goddess who was represented by a large, black raven.......ravens loved battles..........all the blood and guts and gore to feast upon......all those juicy eyeballs to spear and gobble up like miniature onions.........ewwww!!

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

You may want to look at the books by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy: --------- Jesus and the Lost Goddess, as well as The Jesus Mysteries. The first of their two books are more in line with your investigation, but both are interesting.
  • Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I bet you use that chatup line with all the guys

Whatever works, Ross, whatever works!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit