a quiet moment on the beach

by teejay 27 Replies latest social relationships

• teejay
    teejay

There was a commercial on TV tonight during a football game...

A couple with their backs to the camera were sitting on a beach facing a crystal blue sea. Soft, tropical breezes blew, seabirds called to one another, gentle waves crashed onto a pristine golden shore. The mood couldn't have been any more mellow. Life couldn?t be better.

Then... disaster strikes!

Arguably the most gorgeous woman you've ever laid eyes on?I mean she's simply fantabulous?with the most striking body?you know what I'm sayin'? ?in the cutest little bikini?I mean it's so, sooo perfect?walks right in front of the couple.

The man, realizing the predicament with his wife sitting right next to him, does everything humanly possible to keep from looking at the glorious vision, but hey!!... he *is* a man. He glimpsed at her ever so briefly. Without a word, wifey took the lime off the top of hubby's beer and squirted the side of his face with it. After letting it trickle down his face for a bit, he wiped the juice off his face. End of commercial.

Sans the bikini, this scenario plays out everyday in more places than just beaches -- the mall; the grocery store; at a restaurant. Lots of places. Question: is there any possible way for the man in such a scenario to come out of it unscathed? Is the woman (or, are women) destined to feel a threat? Does a negative reaction on her part signal anything about the quality of the relationship? Do women *REALLY* expect men not to look?

Me? In that situation I'd give the woman a respectable once over and just say, "Dayumm!!" and then look over at the wife and wink at her. I figure: wifey is gonna be mad anyway, might as well enjoy the view.

tj ~ who thinks life is waaay too short to sweat the small stuff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The only possible remedy is looking away quickly and stating "Ewww - they're not real, are they!!" followed by "I love you!".

It's a long shot, but it may just save your skin!
    You have a 1.2 second window of opportunity!

Edited to add: maybe only 0.8 seconds...

• teejay
    teejay
    It's a long shot...

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I've seen that commercial. Cute.

When I was married, that would've been known as a 'No-Win' situation.

Regards,

Jim TX

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

TJ:
    Actually you're right - I prefer your solution

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It depends on the kind of relationship. I mean, the wife KNOWS he's going to look - but the lime juice could just be a friendly reminder that "Hey, buddy" but in a teasing kind of way. It's a form of flirting with some couples.

Other women actually ARE threatened and react a little extremely.

Others stare just as lasciviously...

CZAR

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I've seen that commercial too and always laugh when I see it. I will say that it doesn't really bother me that much when Mozz looks at other women. I like that he can appreciate beauty in everyone. But I also look at other men and appreciate their beauty and it doesn't upset him either. We're pretty secure in our relationship. I've never been more confident in a love before...but it doesn't stop us from admiring the view in our journey together.

• freedom96
    freedom96

My experience is that women who are secure with themselves and/ or with their relationship will be fine, and realize it is human nature to look. Now, the guy need not drool, but to ignore the other gal completely is not realistic.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Heh heh.

No problemo for this boy!

I would - and do - simply comment to HL as if she was a fella in my best working class Brit accent:

"Cor blimey! She's a bit of all right! Look at the knockers on that! I wouldn't mind giving her one!"

She then usually responds: "Michael! Behave yourself!"

Englishman.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Question: is there any possible way for the man in such a scenario to come out of it unscathed? Is the woman (or, are women) destined to feel a threat? Does a negative reaction on her part signal anything about the quality of the relationship?

BEFORE that scenario comes up is the only way to deal with it. My wife knows without a doubt that I find her to be the tops. You have to tell her, prove it to her, convince her and of course she will doubt BUT they you drop the bomb. You tell her that you are way TOO SHALLOW to be with a woman who wasn't hot!

And if I got squirted with the juice I would say: "I agree she's a mutt compared to you!"

That is the only way to "win"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit