intolerance

by teejay 78 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I have an idea Stinky, let's try reading the original couple of posts made by the thread author and see if what is being discussed pertains to it. You'll see that it does. Unless you don't wish to see it that way and that is okay too.

I have read all of the entries to this thread. I didn't get from it that Teejay wanted to discuss himself. He gave an analogy that involved him, but I tend to think the initial entry is the one the author wants to primarily focus on, and not himself.

So generally [not specifically] speaking, are ex-JWs as intolerant as JWs?

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Teej, don't drag dirty laundry from there over here.

Each board serves a distinct purpose and this ain't the place for it.

Over here, "don't go there".

Mike.

• bisous
    bisous

I'm with StinkyPantz. This thread got way personal, way fast. Kind of ironic to me since there are loads of people round these parts so very quick to chide us posters towards staying on topic. I've experienced it often enough myself.

I tried the zip my lip thingy earlier, but it just wasn't strong enough. I think I'll just try the cute little doggy instead. Get'em rover, get'em.

edited to add:

I think Tex has a fanfrickingtabulous point as well ... maybe we should all re-read it a couple hundred times till it sinks in.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    I have read all of the entries to this thread. I didn't get from it that Teejay wanted to discuss himself. He gave an analogy that involved him, but I tend to think the initial entry is the one the author wants to primarily focus on, and not himself.

Au contraire, Stinky. This is what he said in his 2nd post:

The reason I ask, for one

and then goes on to describe his personal reason for bringing up this topic and all the stuff about how those big, bad people on another board were mean to him because he decided that he wanted to come back and post here. Those mean, intolerant people !!!

then goes on to say:

Also here on JWD... there have been times when loyal JWs arrived and have not been treated kindly. Christians who show up don't appear to be held in high regard, either. Seems to me that, more than anyone, ex-JWs should understand and empathize with JWs. And if someone wants to believe, what difference does that make to the non-believer? Who is the Christian harming?

Why can't people just live and let live? As someone said recently,

It's amazing to me how you can leave a cult of judgemental people, be shunned and looked down upon and not learn a lesson from it.

That's something I will never, ever, EVER figure out.

He brought up his personal aspect as part of his reason for posting the question and then goes on to talk about how loyal JW's here have not been treated kindly and how Christians who show up don't appear to he held in high regard either.

He then goes on to pontificate about how this shouldn't be happening and that it's something he will never, ever, EVER figure out.

Well, the thing is- he's guilty of the very same thing he's preaching about and he's having a hard time "figuring out" why others are doing it?

Some crap went down here and he was booted from this board. Did he "live and let live"? No. Did he do what he's preaching here and empathize with anyone involved ? Did he try to understand the mindset of anyone with regard to any of that? Did he do any of those things before or after things went down? No- he ventured out to another board and publically treated those people in a manner much worse than any loyal JW has ever been treated here. He vehemently trashed people in a vile manner and he did it for a long time and his vitriolic arm had a long reach. And he's not apologized for any of it, and has stated that he has no reason to-yet he has the audacity to talk about intolerance? Sorry-it was personal.

And now he's preaching to others about how they "should" "live and let live"? And counseling others about being judgmental ? Sorry, but I'm not buying it and he should clean up his own backyard before telling others how they "should" behave and how they should treat others.

XW

• teejay
    teejay
    I have an idea, let's try posting about the thread topic and NOT the person who started the thread. -- StinkyPantz

Actually, B, albeit tediously, xw and bc *are* contributing to the discussion... in their own way and with their own inimical style. It's really somewhat fascinating... watching them, xw especially, but I digress...

With CZAR's comments in mind, what the dynamic duo are demonstrating is the idea that our tolerance level toward a person or thing is inextricably linked to our emotions ? how we feel about something. Or, in the case of those two, someONE.

I used to wonder why or how an ex-JWs could so severely attack loyal JWs who came here. JWs who came here never bothered *me* one bit. Or why the folks 'over there' reacted so intolerantly toward me when they discovered my intentions of coming back here. "Shouldn't both groups be more understanding?" I thought.

It's clear now?it should have been clear along, I guess?that when JWs (or Christians) post here, they evoke within some JWDers bad emotions that are left over from their JW experience. They aren't really attacking the person so much as they are attacking their former experience (or, specifically, responding to the feelings that experience engenders). As in the case of the two ladies, instead of a religion it's *me* that rekindles those strong negative feelings. With the folks on the other board ? their experience with JWD (or Simon).

We have achieved a breakthrough! The strength of the emotion reflects in inverse proportion the level of intolerance. The stronger the negative emotion, the weaker the ability to tolerate. As my long-time friend Dr. Spock of Star Trek fame would say with a curious nod: "Interesting."

Teej, don't drag dirty laundry from there over here. Each board serves a distinct purpose and this ain't the place for it. Over here, "don't go there".

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? No. I didn't think so.

• teejay
    teejay
    I'm with StinkyPantz. This thread got way personal, way fast. -- Bisous

Well, I'm not disturbed by it at all, Bisous (odd name, btw).

Really, the personal stuff lent itself well to the discussion, I thought, for obvious reasons. If you knew the somewhat circuitous history these two fine ladies and I share, their seemingly off-topic posts might make more sense to you. As it is, their posts only demonstrate the truth of my little epiphany ? that a person's level of intolerance is directly linked to their NEGATIVE emotions. Watching someone's apparently unpleasant reaction to, say, the arrival of a loyal JW (or a poster from another board ), tells you a lot about the person reacting.

Perhaps more than they realize.

• Tim Horton
    Tim Horton

Dictionary -Rogets II- The new thesaurus: INTOLERANCE; (see prejudice) noun -Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion : bigotry, intolerance. In case anyone wanted to know the official meaning of the word. At this time I can't answer the question because I'm not 100% sure of how I feel. It's a pretty strong word with pretty strong meaning. Probably something to think seriously about. I feel sad to see the negative remarks going back and forth on the forum. I hope that you guys can work through your differences. They seem pretty strong and deep setted. Regards and I hope the definition helps. Panther It would be nice to stick to the topic at hand and try not to insult one another. Don't ya think. it's sad to see that's all. We're supposed to be supporting one another. I thought anyway.

• minimus
    minimus

Are Teejay and Stinky Pantz one in the same???? Or are they just a tag team??

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Czar,

I think because we have been condition a great deal by steady indoctrination about how we should feel about certain things like the death of someone not in Jehovah's favor as well as many, many, other things like how we are to love our wife and how we are to love our children etc... that this type of indoctrination takes us out of touch with ourselves and we develope a borg type of personality designed and shaped by the WT writers. And so we become used to operating from the borg perspective and we feel guilt when we don't measure up to the collective mentality,,this has got to be numbing to our true feelings.

• teejay
    teejay

We're one in the same, mini. I thought everyone knew that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit