intolerance

by teejay 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    While we might despise the particulars of what they believe, wouldn't/shouldn't we at least understand their mindset... even empathize with them, understanding perhaps better than most why the JW believes, speaks, and acts as they do?

That's what we're speaking of here. Not so much what or where something is said, but an understanding and, more importantly, an ACCEPTANCE of why it's said.

I agree. Knowledge is power, but what we do with that knowledge says something about us, doesn't it? If we can empathize, can we also respect different beliefs especially if we don't agree with those beliefs?

Chris

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

teejay, teejay, teejay..........

Hmmm. xenawarrior and bickerchic speaking with one mind. Wow. Don't believe I've ever seen *that* before!!

Yeah like you're anyone to know anything about mine and xw's relationship. When might I ask have you ever seen us be disagreeable on this board or any other board? I see it's teejay doing what teejay does best, blowing smoke!

That said, while I accept your position that y'all feel it's sometimes acceptable to be intolerant, it appears that you two ladies (entirely, woefully, pitifully) missed the essential point of what we're talking about.

I feel very strongly that it is acceptable to be intolerant, get that straight right now! I do not for instance tolerate evil of any kind, nor do I accept the behavior of those who wish to spread evil. Now I ask teejay in view of your comparisons to the two boards just where do you fit into THAT picture?

The point of this discussion is to illustrate that, by and large, a group that I once found camaraderie with have taken upon themselves to denounce me for exercising a ~~~~~~~ to post at a place they once posted but now despise. Can you not see how that is analogous to ex-JWs denouncing people (loyal JWs) who in many ways resemble the person they themselves once were?

teejay! Buy a clue! My perception of you is that you have always played both ends against the middle. At some point even those who are just like you get tired of it. If you don't stand for something you stand for nothing, both ends get weighed down and the middle eventually caves in. Which is what I see is happening there to you teejay.

It's not about ex-JW's verses JW's. People grow and people change, if you don't you simply aren't maturing and are staying stuck in a rut of your own making.

You question me:

but weren't you bikerchic once like me ? a loyal JW? How hypocritical, not to mention judgmental and intolerant, it would be if you or I now ridiculed a loyal JW who happened upon JWD. Don't you think so?

Once like you, I would have to say no, never......loyal to the JW's hook line and sinker, NO that was not me at all. I simply went through the motions it wasn't in my heart. Judgmental, no that is not me at all I never felt like many JW's who would make the comment at the door of the householder who said they didn't want anything to do with us or our message...."Old goat, they'll be destroyed at Armageddon." I didn't like judging people so harshly, I felt it was God's choice not mine.

On a personal note I will judge those individuals who have directly harmed me or my family/friends. IMHO people cannot act badly and not reap what they sow at least from me. Now as far as intolerant, I've always as I've said earlier been intolerant of evil, bad and those people who behave in such ways. I quit a long time ago believing what people said they are but watched how they behaved, actions do speak louder than words. Which is why I found it so easy when it finally got through my thick skull (years of believing the Elders were right no matter what) to walk away from the entire JW religion, I saw first hand the hypocrisy of the Elders.

Now as far as me ridiculing a loyal JW who would post here, I probably have ridiculed their beliefs not the individual at least I hope not.

While we might despise the particulars of what they believe, wouldn't/shouldn't we at least understand their mindset... even empathize with them, understanding perhaps better than most why the JW believes, speaks, and acts as they do?

While I understand that argument and find no fault with it what I don't understand is your flip-flopping on the topic. You are comparing apples to oranges IMHO.

That's what we're speaking of here. Not so much what or where something is said, but an understanding and, more importantly, an ACCEPTANCE of why it's said.
    Well make up your mind teejay which is it? Like I said you play both ends........and so it goes.
  • minimus
    minimus

This thread will turn out to be Teejay personalizing differences of opinion and then being rebuked as he was by Bikerchic and XW and then trying to get them into a personal feud with him and then cry that he's being treated unfairly for some reason.....Like I said before, a leopard can't change his spots nor hide them.

• setfree
    setfree

I'll bet the people in "noahs" day reasoned the same way you do today. However only a few souls were saved. Can you feel the raindrops yet??

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, Noah and his kin were pretty intolerant....so I agree with you..

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Like I said before, a leopard can't change his spots nor hide them.

Sure they can. I was as hard-core a JW as there was.

Self-realization comes in many forms.

• minimus
    minimus

tex, you're more of a fox than you are a leopard.

• Valis
    Valis

actually mini he's like a reall smart basset hound. One of a kind by all accounts.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have a beagle. She's not smart. She's a little paranoid and is scared of the dark. She also gets nightmares. I think she was traumatized at the shelter... wait, what were we talking about??? okay...

I think that believers around here have to defend their positions more actively than others - the cynicism and the hurt from dubland is real. When a believer's position is defensible, you wind up with respected people like mouthy and littletoe. When a believer's position is indefensible, you wind up with You "Clay Pigeon" Know and E "Lyndon LaRouche's Catamite" Watchman type figures who provide hours of fun for the whole family.

Tolerance doesn't enter into it - some people are born to be made fun of...

CZAR

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    tex, you're more of a fox than you are a leopard.

So speaks the squirrel.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit