144,000 taking their lead from elders?????

by Dansk 24 Replies latest jw friends

• shotgun
    shotgun

This guy is my heavenly Union rep, him and his brother! I had to choose a rep with a beard because the WT only depicts members of the 144000 with beards. Bearded ladies, why not.

You can see how during the time of the flood angels had Goatee's and then got older and developed white hair and beards...always men though...maybe God is Woman and has all those men serving her?

• gumby
  • shotgun
    shotgun

Gumby..is he your rep too?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

from "Jehovah's Witnesses" at about.com: (http://experts.about.com/q/1617/3052543.htm)

Well, for the Watchtower doctrine to be true, that would mean that, from the first century, up until the year 1935, the number of Christians throughout history could not exceed 144,000. This is an absurdity, given a number of Biblical facts....Though the Bible never tells us exactly how many Christians existed in the first century, we do have a glimpse.

We find by reading Acts chapter 2, that 3,000 members were added on the Day of Pentecost. Then, in following chapters, we find 5,000 more converts just a week later, making over 8,000. Then, we are told at least 4 times after this in Acts, that the church continued to multiply and increase rapidly. Yet, the JWs expect us to believe that, from the first century to the year 1935, only 144,000 Christians had ever existed? I find that absurd. Let's do the math....

The only concrete numbers that Acts give us are the 3,000 on the Day of Pentecost, and 5,000 more a week later, making 8,120 (there were 120 in the upper room). That would mean that, after that first week, for the next 1900 years, the church averaged gaining only about 72 converts a year! Yet, this is the exact opposite of what we read in Acts, where we are told at least 4 more times that the church continued to grow! (Acts 2:41, 4:4, 5:14, 6:7, 9:31, and 11:24).

Google added the highlighting, based on my search terms.

So 8,000 were added to the 120 in the first month. Looks like a pretty pitiful snowball if it can't accumulate another 136,000 in the next few decades. (Recall that the "apostasy" would have rendered 1900 years of nominal christians inelligible for anointing, save for folks like Charles 'It's all in the Pyramids' Russell...)

• heathen
    heathen

LMAO---- Yah the WTBTS wants people to condemn beards because of their belief that homosexuals and radicals like beards but in their publications it's always God ,Christ the early christians the 144k all with beards . What a bunch of retards . The apostle Paul had congregations all over the place I don't think it possible to come up with a number but IMO the 144k are made up of spirit adopted sons and can only be male . I still don't see any evidence that the scripture in revelation has anything to do with 1st century christians .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit