Kwithmath Twee, Oh Kwithmath Twee..

by Englishman 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Lets just spare a thought for the tiny tots and older kids who won't be enjoying any Christmas festivities this year.

No parties, no presents, no Santa, no fun, no carols no anything. It's a damned shame that kids miss out so much. What is even worse is that they feel compelled to put a on brave face in front of their school friends.

"Oh, we get presents all year round".

Really? Yeah, right! I'm still waiting for mine! Still, it's not too bad. There's always the special "Christmas day effort" out in the ministry. You remember those? Everyone looked at you as though you were out of your mind?

Denying kids a decent Christmas when everyone else is having a good time just has to be some kind of mental abuse IMHO.

Englishman.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

There's always the special "Christmas day effort" out in the ministry. You remember those? Everyone looked at you as though you were out of your mind?

Cheers Mate,for bringing back some horrible Memories!! lol

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    There's always the special "Christmas day effort" out in the ministry. You remember those? Everyone looked at you as though you were out of your mind?

Mike,

They're now passe. I guess the R&F displayed the "spirit of a sound mind", eh and boycotted the "special effort"!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Angharad
    Angharad

Good topic Mike - I feel so badly for the JW kids in schools now. Its not just the presents thing, there is also all the christmas crafts and practise for the christmas concert which is beginning now, and they cant join in with any of it when all their classmates are so excited

• groovycat.
    groovycat.

Yeah, I must admit, negotiating my way around the questions at Christmas time was a pain in the arse. It was the look of disbelief on everyones face when you told them. Then the logical follow up questions ... 'What about birthdays?' ... 'What about Easter?'.

Still not that big on Crimbo though, force of habit I suppose, but then, I don't see why I should stop believing in one religion and just default to celebrating parts of another. Having said that, it's not really about religion anymore for most people, is it (rhetorical).

Ah, what the hell ... where's my party hat? What do you mean I'm too early?

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

They're now passe. I guess the R&F displayed the "spirit of a sound mind", eh and boycotted the "special effort"!

I assure you they still do it in this Country.My 10 Year old Nephew was dragged out last Year .Or maybe that was the last time.Either way its bordering on cruelty,dragging Kids out on Ministry Xmas Day.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I hated having to go out to service every holiday that came up. But ever since my Dad got chewed out something nasty by someone just as few doors down from us, he never went out on Xmas again. Too bad I was already 17 by the time that happened.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

when i was a kid i loved christmas. every year i wished there was a santa who would just once leave me a present for christmas morning. one year (i think i was in fifth grade) my class had the usual christmas party (which i couldnt attend and had to sit in a room by myself til it was over) and my teacher gave everyone (except me) a padded vinyle pencil box. i felt so left out and begged and begged my teacher for one of those boxes. she wouldnt give me one cause i didnt celebrate chirstmas, but she finally relented and half-heartedly gave me one. i remember walking out to her car to get that box and i remember how she gave it to me. there was no joy in that giving, she gave it to me just to shut me up. but i got my box. i never told my parents how i got that box or they would have taken it away from me.

Mrs Jones

• Gill
    Gill

What the hell! In for a penny, in for a pound!

This year my youngest will be in the school nativity play!

All my children, including the older teenage obnoxious ones, will have presents on christmas morning and I"m having a bloody tree whether my husband likes it or not. He doesn't really mind, in fact he's wanted a christmas tree his whole life but would like to avoid any furthur shunning from his family. How can shunning get any worse?

He plans to decorate his garden shed inside and out though! How sad is that, love him.

We have now adopted this ancient festival as our own, well more or less, and whilst not doing the religious thing, except for the play of course, we're going to all try to make eachother happy for a day.

We'll get back to fighting with the kids on boxing day, isn't that what it means? Time to box the kids ears again.

Ooooh it's so exciting!!!!!!!

• Simon
    Simon
    "Oh, we get presents all year round".

Yeah, I remember that line

The funny thing is that the most zealot-like parents who insisted on total separation were ones who had converted. Parents who had themselves grown up in "the troof" were more inclined to be a bit milder.

Some on our congregation even had a "family present day" ... that happened to be near the end of December

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit