Is there new light on disfellowshipping?

by Chasity 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Chasity
    Chasity

I am new here. I had no idea there were so many ex JW's. I have been out since 1998. Officially booted in Feb. 2001. I am not sure on what grounds though because I never went to my meeting. All I heard is that accusations had been made. I was so long gone I did not care if I was disfellowshipped.

My sister called and asked me if she and her elder husband could stay with me while she was in my city. I asked her if she was still a JW and she said yes and as strong as ever. When I was in back in 1998 you were not allowed to associate with DF'd ones. I live in a very touristy city. My brother thinks they are trying to save money on accodomations but he has been out longer than me. Has anything changed in the last few years?

• gdt
    gdt

maybe a new spirit which allows individuals to make up their own minds and actions, on this and other issues, and answer to Jehovah God. I trust you all get on well together and renew important family decencies. cheers, gdt.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Has anything changed in the last few years?

Based on the numerous reports on this board and others, I would conclude no change.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    My brother thinks they are trying to save money on accodomations

Bingo!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

No specific change that I know of. About a year ago, they actually tried to tighten up on this. But, as time goes on, more and more witnesses are becoming more and more liberal in their interpretation of "necessary family business".

You might be well served to extend your hospitality to your sister and her family on the condition that they acknowledge that for them to subsequently shun you, in any way, would be abusive and not tolerated.

• formerout
    formerout

Shit, I was hoping your question would be answered with someone saying that us shunned, chastised, spit on, useless specimens of society are beginning to be somewhat accepted. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. BUMMER!

I of course don't look at myself in such harsh terms but I was hoping that the WTBTS would lessen the the actions of their condemnation of us. Oh well. Back to me trusting in myself instead of God... at least any God I have been taught to respect.

Brad

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

more like old light that has finally sunk in. the change was in 1988. they said normal family affections could continue. it seems to be taking almost 15 years before people are doing so.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Chastity:First of all - Welcome!
    It would be interesting to know if they feel they could reciprocate.

XQs:

more like old light that has finally sunk in. the change was in 1988. they said normal family affections could continue. it seems to be taking almost 15 years before people are doing so.

That would be the party line on paper, but we all know the reality is nothing like that, and that the course of shunning remains the "loving" course of action. Shunning is reinforced at meetings and in private, regardless of the Theocratic War Strategy that has them print a softer line likely for the sake of "Human Rights" courts.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

XQ needs to go to more Service Meetings... (only in jest my friend)

I have including an entire Kingdom Ministry article from Aug 2002:

km 8/02 pp. 3-4 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped ***

Display

Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped

The bond between family members can be very strong. This brings a test upon a Christian when a marriage mate, a child, a parent, or another close relative is disfellowshipped or has disassociated himself from the congregation. (Matt. 10:37) How should loyal Christians treat such a relative? Does it make a difference if the person lives in your household? First, let us review what the Bible says on this subject, the principles of which apply equally to those who are disfellowshipped and to those who disassociate themselves.

How to Treat Expelled Ones: God?s Word commands Christians not to keep company or fellowship with a person who has been expelled from the congregation: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. . . . Remove the wicked man from among yourselves." (1 Cor. 5:11, 13) Jesus? words recorded at Matthew 18:17 also bear on the matter: "Let [the expelled one] be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector." Jesus? hearers well knew that the Jews of that day had no fraternization with Gentiles and that they shunned tax collectors as outcasts. Jesus was thus instructing his followers not to associate with expelled ones.?See The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 18-20.

This means that loyal Christians do not have spiritual fellowship with anyone who has been expelled from the congregation. But more is involved. God?s Word states that we should ?not even eat with such a man.? (1 Cor. 5:11) Hence, we also avoid social fellowship with an expelled person. This would rule out joining him in a picnic, party, ball game, or trip to the mall or theater or sitting down to a meal with him either in the home or at a restaurant.

What about speaking with a disfellowshipped person? While the Bible does not cover every possible situation, 2 John 10 helps us to get Jehovah?s view of matters: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him." Commenting on this, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, says: "A simple ?Hello? to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshiped person?"

Indeed, it is just as page 31 of the same issue of The Watchtower states: "The fact is that when a Christian gives himself over to sin and has to be disfellowshiped, he forfeits much: his approved standing with God; . . . sweet fellowship with the brothers, including much of the association he had with Christian relatives."

In the Immediate Household: Does this mean that Christians living in the same household with a disfellowshipped family member are to avoid talking to, eating with, and associating with that one as they go about their daily activities? The Watchtower of April 15, 1991, in the footnote on page 22, states: "If in a Christian?s household there is a disfellowshipped relative, that one would still be part of the normal, day-to-day household dealings and activities." Thus, it would be left up to members of the family to decide on the extent to which the disfellowshipped family member would be included when eating or engaging in other household activities. And yet, they would not want to give brothers with whom they associate the impression that everything is the same as it was before the disfellowshipping occurred.

However, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 28, points out regarding the disfellowshipped or disassociated person: "Former spiritual ties have been completely severed. This is true even with respect to his relatives, including those within his immediate family circle. . . . That will mean changes in the spiritual fellowship that may have existed in the home. For example, if the husband is disfellowshiped, his wife and children will not be comfortable with him conducting a family Bible study or leading in Bible reading and prayer. If he wants to say a prayer, such as at mealtime, he has a right to do so in his own home. But they can silently offer their own prayers to God. (Prov. 28:9; Ps. 119:145, 146) What if a disfellowshiped person in the home wants to be present when the family reads the Bible together or has a Bible study? The others might let him be present to listen if he will not try to teach them or share his religious ideas."

If a minor child living in the home is disfellowshipped, Christian parents are still responsible for his upbringing. The Watchtower of November 15, 1988, page 20, states: "Just as they will continue to provide him with food, clothing, and shelter, they need to instruct and discipline him in line with God?s Word. (Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17) Loving parents may thus arrange to have a home Bible study with him, even if he is disfellowshipped. Maybe he will derive the most corrective benefit from their studying with him alone. Or they may decide that he can continue to share in the family study arrangement."?See also The Watchtower of October 1, 2001, pages 16-17.

Relatives Not in the Household: "The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home," states The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, page 28. "It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum," in harmony with the divine injunction to "quit mixing in company with anyone" who is guilty of sinning unrepentantly. (1 Cor. 5:11) Loyal Christians should strive to avoid needless association with such a relative, even keeping business dealings to an absolute minimum.?See also The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 29-30.

The Watchtower addresses another situation that can arise: "What if a close relative, such as a son or a parent who does not live in the home, is disfellowshiped and subsequently wants to move back there? The family could decide what to do depending on the situation. For example, a disfellowshiped parent may be sick or no longer able to care for himself financially or physically. The Christian children have a Scriptural and moral obligation to assist. (1 Tim. 5:8) . . . What is done may depend on factors such as the parent?s true needs, his attitude and the regard the head of the household has for the spiritual welfare of the household."?The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 28-9.

As for a child, the same article continues: "Sometimes Christian parents have accepted back into the home for a time a disfellowshiped child who has become physically or emotionally ill. But in each case the parents can weigh the individual circumstances. Has a disfellowshiped son lived on his own, and is he now unable to do so? Or does he want to move back primarily because it would be an easier life? What about his morals and attitude? Will he bring ?leaven? into the home??Gal. 5:9."

Benefits of Being Loyal to Jehovah: Cooperating with the Scriptural arrangement to disfellowship and shun unrepentant wrongdoers is beneficial. It preserves the cleanness of the congregation and distinguishes us as upholders of the Bible?s high moral standards. (1 Pet. 1:14-16) It protects us from corrupting influences. (Gal. 5:7-9) It also affords the wrongdoer an opportunity to benefit fully from the discipline received, which can help him to produce "peaceable fruit, namely, righteousness."?Heb. 12:11.

After hearing a talk at a circuit assembly, a brother and his fleshly sister realized that they needed to make adjustments in the way they treated their mother, who lived elsewhere and who had been disfellowshipped for six years. Immediately after the assembly, the man called his mother, and after assuring her of their love, he explained that they could no longer talk to her unless there were important family matters requiring contact. Shortly thereafter, his mother began attending meetings and was eventually reinstated. Also, her unbelieving husband began studying and in time was baptized.

Loyally upholding the disfellowshipping arrangement outlined in the Scriptures demonstrates our love for Jehovah and provides an answer to the one that is taunting Him. (Prov. 27:11) In turn, we can be assured of Jehovah?s blessing. King David wrote regarding Jehovah: "As for his statutes, I shall not turn aside from them. With someone loyal you will act in loyalty."?2 Sam. 22:23, 26.
  • Mary
    Mary
    My brother thinks they are trying to save money on accodomations but he has been out longer than me.

Your brother hit the nail on the head. Witnesses are cheap as hell. Your sister may not bother with you the rest of the year, but if she thinks she can save a few bucks, she will certainly bend the rules to suit herself. If this was the only time my sister contacted me, I'd tell her to take a hike.......a friend of mine hasn't got to the meetings for years although she was never DF'd or DA'd. But her one holier-than-thou-elder-son refuses to have anything to do with her now and won't let her see her own grandchildren, although he never had a problem accepting the thousands of dollars she's given him over the last few year. Well, he's in for a big surprise one day. My friend and her husband are so angry and upset at the way they're treated by their own son that they've changed their Will so that their non-Witness son gets everything. While I normally think that an estate should be divided evenly amongst siblings, in this case I think they're doing the right thing. Why should someone who treats them so shabbily get anything??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit