leaving Jehovah's Witnesses

by jayhawk1 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hello, my name is Jeremy. I have been reading this forum for some time. I think there are truly some great people here, and I hope to call many of you friends in due time. I thought I would share my story so you will know my thoughts regarding Jehovah's Witnesses.

I was sorta raised as a Jehovah's Witness. My mother was baptized when I was young. She pioneered for about 3 years and shortly there after, she became inactive. I was about to enter middle school when she stopped going to the Kingdom Hall. I didn't know why I believed what I believed, so when my peers picked on me, I had no way of defending my beliefs. I got a stomach ulcer from this experience. My dad although never baptized made me go to the Kingdom Hall. (He died last August when his truck went off the road, I suspect suicide, because he said that was how he would die if he committed suicide) Two people studied with me and at the age of 19, I got baptized. I didn't make any true friends in the Congregation. The only friend I had was a "worldly" friend. Today we are still very close.

I tried my hardest to fit in. But, I just couldn't. First, I hated going door to door. Secondly, I didn't understand the fear God tactic, I always thought of him as "Father" like Jesus taught. Thirdly, I never understood this mystical explination about the 144,000 being born along by holy spirit. How could they possably know they were chosen? Fourthly, this constant competition with the Catholic Church. I have several friends that think the Society is childish about the constant name calling and mud slinging.

But that is not why I got out. Five years ago, I asked a circuit overseer about growing a beard. He said it was very unusual for a man to grow a beard in the brotherhood. He said I would not be able to advance in the "truth" if I did. I explained that I had psoriasis and the red patches and white flakes made me feel ugly. If I could grow a beard, the patches and flakes would be less noticable. He said if I had a medical reason the Elder Body would understand then. I asked the Elders, they said that I could grow the beard, so I did. Late in September 1999, I was approached by two Elders, they said that they wanted to come over and give me a sheperding call. I agreed, so a couple of days later, they came over. They started to read about dress codes that was found in Watchtower publications. I was thinking to myself, I have never violated any dress code. I never wear advertising shirts, baggy jeans, my hair is short, I wear a tie and coat to the meetings. Then they read about being clean shaven. Aparently a new member of the Congregation complained. He was good friends with one of the two Elders. So with enough pressure that is why they were here. I reminded them that they allowed me to have the beard. After more fruitless debate, I asked them to leave. I went and told my mom and dad what happened. My mother swore she would never have anything to do with them again, and my dad started calling all of the Elders. He and the Elders continued to bicker about the whole situation. I wrote a letter to each of the Elders, and to the new Circuit Overseer.

When the Circuit Overseer came to the Congregation, he made the Elders told the Elders to accept me as is. They never did. The memorial in April was the last meeting I attended in full. I went to three other meetings, but left before it was over. My last meeting was 4 days after Dad's suicide. Dad and I argued about the Jehovah's Witness ever since the beard incident. He could no longer convince me it was the truth. I bought a computer in May 2000, and started reading about Jehovah's Witnesses. I never realized about the 1975 predictions. I was amazed! I was born January 14, 1976. If the society was right, Jehovah would have killed me before I was born!

I never had a chance to share my findings with my dad. I have shared what I have learned with my mom. I am happy to say she no longer suffers from depression. She was worried that Armageddon would come and Jehovah would kill her. She remarried a man that I like. I am still looking for a mate, but in no hurry to make a mistake. The only thing the Jehovah's Witness have right is, when you marry you should always stay married. I have a letter of dissassociation ready should the Elders ever stop by, but in the last year they have not. My neighbor is a Jehovah's Witness, so I do expect that someday soon they will stop by. I decided last month to rent out my extra bedroom, so next month, I will have a room mate. Because this room mate is a woman, I expect the spies will be out in full force. CULTS SUCK!

Please talk to me, and e-mail me. I look forward to your responce! However, Fredhall take a long walk off a short cliff. Just like Judas Iscariot, please.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jeremy,

Welcome to the board! Wow, you've been through a lot in 25 years. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you can stay awhile. There's a lot of good support out here amidst the occasional craziness.

I grew up as a JW too. It's so true, you are forced to be alienated from non-Witnesses, but it's so hard to fit into the "club" within JW's as well. That judgmentalism over your beard proves that it's not "right vs. wrong" that matters, but who you know in the organization! Someone with better connections than you can cause no end of trouble, and it has nothing to do with God or righteousness or anything but petty vindictiveness.

Welcome to freedom. And condolences about your dad.

GopherAlways do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• outnfree
    outnfree

So nice of you to finally join us, jeremy!

You may already know that others here left because of the ridiculousness of the beard issue -- JAVA and larc come immediately to mind, perhaps francoise, also?

How wonderful that your father was willing to go to bat for you on this issue before he died. And how sad that you feel he took his own life. It seems that you two were very close. I'm sure you miss him.
    I lost my father at 19, and I miss him a lot. I'm sorry for your loss.

Silly, isn't it, that one can have so many positive Christian qualities and yet the elders always seem to be occupied with 'straining the gnats!'

It is also nice to read that your sharing the truth about the Organization helped your mother get out of her fear-induced depression! What a relief that must be to you, and such a burden lifted off of her!

I DA'd myself this past March and have found this board to be quite the blessing as I struggle with leaving such a huge part of my life behind.

I especially liked these lines from your post:

Fourthly, this constant competition with the Catholic Church. I have several friends that think the Society is childish about the constant name calling and mud slinging.

The Witnesses seem to have this idea that Christendom is all out to persecute them, when really, people

a/ have NO IDEA why the JWs are on their doorstep for the most part;
    b/ think of JW's as insignificant, but tenacious pests, like
    a fly that won't quit buzzing around even though it's being
    swatted at!

I've read another post or two of yours already, and think you'll fit in just fine!

When the next door neighbor sics the elders on you, I'll be here for you.

Welcome to the Board!

outnfree

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Thanks for your replies, Gopher and outnfree. I feel much better letting my voice be heard. I do miss my father, because he tried to be a good man. My mother is reading the book Crisis of Conscience right now. I loaned it to her, and told her it is written in a spirit of mildness. She finally accepted the book last week and is already on Chapter 5. I will never know how she reads so fast, but she is doing much better than she ever has.

I like this board, and I think I will post frequently when there is an issue to talk about. I am not into the childish stuff, but I will always express my point of view with humor.

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to this board!

You sound like you have learned a lot in a short time, and I am always especially happy to hear of younger ones escaping before they have wasted their entire youths in the borg.

I am SO sorry about your Dad, I cannot even imagine how you have dealt with that. The fact that your Mom has escaped too, and is no longer in emotional or mental bondage to the cults teachings, is wondeful news! I hope she will always appreciate what a favor you did her.

I look forward to hearing more from you, my friend.

Tracy

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hi Tracy,
    I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words.
    Although time is relative, because I am young (25) I
    feel like I wasted 20% of my live. (5 years) But at
    least I got out before I had kids and subjected them
    to the same pain I grew up with. I also studied for 4
    years with them. But if you want to get technical, I
    was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Only last winter
    did I celebrate my birthday for the first time. I
    will continue to look for your posts, and thanks for
    considering my a friend.
    Your friend,
    Jeremy Black
    A recovering Jehovah's Witness. Yes I think it is
    similar to alcohol. Just ask Judge Rutherford! Hehe!

• jezebel influence
    jezebel influence

jayhawk1,
    Hello,thought I would also welcome you here!
    I am also of the 1976 birth class!
    And I know what you mean by recovering JW,great way to explain it!

Welcome welcome welcome
    Jez

• larc
    larc

Welcome JayHawk,

Well, you lost 5 years, but hey, look at it this way, many of us have lost a lot more time than that. Anyways, it is all not lost. We have unique knowledge that can help others and that is a good thing.

Humor time: You say you have lost 5 years. Hell, I have lost that much time looking for lost car keys, check books, socks, ball point pens, an tv remotes.

• peterstride
    peterstride

Welcome to the boards Jeremy!

I was born into the borg, and didn't wake up until I was 30. That was 5 years ago.

If you haven't had a chance to yet, you should pick up Raymond Franz's two books, "Crisis of Concience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom", both available (as far as I know) in the USA through Amazon.com. Those are the two books that I read that were real eye openers.

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi and welcome jayhawk1!

What I love about this DB is that we are able to share stories and experiences that many of us can relate to. I certainly related to many parts of your story, jayhawk1, because I grew up as a Witness too and always had many questions that weren't really answered by the Society.

I look forward to more of your insights!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit