CHRISTMAS WOES

by emmamess22 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• emmamess22
    emmamess22

Most of you know I'm the one with all the religion woes..(ie....finding one...ha) Anyways, I did all this research on Christmas being that I was brought up not believing in it and found that it really does have pagan roots in a big way so I can't decide if it's ok to do it if I do it for Jesus' birthday even tho now I know that it wasn't started that way and all this bad air is around it and I get scared I am deliberately doing something against God and that's detestable to him.....ahhhhhh.

I know he wasn't born in Winter, I know we don't know when he was born....so is it ok for ME to get presents on a day that used to be used to worship some pagan sun god when they would hang pine boughs all over their house. Doesn't that make it bad?! UGH

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

you get presents on christmas!!

sign me up!!

Mrs Jones

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And exactly what do you have against pagan's or their gods?

• bebu
    bebu

I think of the words from the Christmas carol, O Holy Night:

"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
    Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth."

The shortest days of the year--and the longest nights--are in late December. I've always enjoyed the timing of celebrating the birth of Christ (whether truly born at this time or not) during the bleakest, darkest period of the year. To celebrate Jesus' birth in the middle of winter, when the world is coldest, darkest, and the most dreary to me is a really fitting time. (Yet I know lots of places are sunny all year, and of course the land down under is enjoying summer... I think if I lived there, I'd want to celebrate Christmas during the coldest time, if it were ever possible.) We have a lot of reason to be happy and cheerful--the weather just sharpens our appreciation of it.

Do you refuse to use wine (pagan god Bacchus promoted it) or wood (the stake/cross was made of wood and used by Romans) or whatever else the 'pagans' may have used, just because they used it and 'tainted' it? God created nature--the earth and the heavens, the trees and the stars. They are all good. They are all still His-- and imo even more so now as God redeemed everything out of all the types of ways creation may have been misused/misunderstood/worshiped thru the centuries. Stars are not worshiped at Christmas, but have an honorable role in pointing to Christ. Evergreen trees endure the awful coldness and make us smile with their green life and fragrance, and point us up toward the heavens (unless you have a Charlie Brown tree!).

There's a lot of beautiful symbolism that you can begin to see and appreciate. Winter time brings many of the understandings of Christ's birth to be more sharply seen and appreciated. That's why I have no problem with it at all. God redeemed people... but I think He also redeemed nature for us as well. It's okay to use it, or maybe you can see other symbolism available where you live that reflects what Christmas presents.

All imho.

bebu

Edited to add: Christmas presents are a great tradition! "It's better to give than receive"... so if someone is giving you a gift, they are doing something that God blesses. Why refuse them their opportunity? ...The wise men brought gifts on Christmas; did Mary and Joseph refuse gifts from "pagans"? Nope. ...Lastly, Christians celebrate the gift of God to humanity at Christmas time--God's giving us "worth", like that carol above goes. Whether other gifts are exchanged or not, it's fitting, imo, to gladly acknowledge that one Gift, if nothing else...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I've always enjoyed the timing of celebrating the birth of Christ (whether truly born at this time or not) during the bleakest, darkest period of the year.

Not here - it's longest, hottest, brightest time of year. 100 degree heat, and we still have roast Christmas dinner!

• bebu
    bebu

LOL steph!

I would want a barbeque!

bebu

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I would want a barbeque!

Admittedly, more sensible options like that are becoming popular - especially seafood on the barbie!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I like your reasononing, Bebu. Now the question is , do I like it because it has a ring of common sense and truth, or do I like it because it justifies things that I once taught were wrong? One thing that I have learned from "worldy" friends and workmates is that Christmas and birthdays are not just the excuse for a p.... up that the WT always said that it was,among the world. People do really care for their families and some even care sincerely for Jesus Christ . Is it wrong to remember Granny with a gift, even if the date of the gift co incided with an ancient celebration. Hell, I guess most dates have had a symbolism to somebody somewhere. Btw this Wednesday is a special day to those in the Sikh religion according to my diary so I guess you would not give a gift that day in case God thought you were honouring the ancient Guru.(No offence intended to any Sikhs) My point is that guilt and rule breaking were concepts instilled in us all as dubs. The time now is to break out of that way of thinking and, if one is still retaining a faith in scripture, accept the love of Christ for what it really is. The God and Christ that I know is not going to be offended by a respectful celebration of Christ's birth or an expression of love to one's family and friends.

• Golf
    Golf

Let your conscience guide you. Guest77

• squinks
    squinks

Christmas Woes? No, you are supposed to have a poinsetta. You silly wabbit!

But seriously dear, after some time has passed you will be able to let go of your fears. Once you have tried out your new life as a non-witness for a while and you realize nothing bad is going to happen to you the fun will begin.

I enjoy Christmas as a time to cook and buy gifts for the people I love. Also Mannheim Steamroller has some wonderful Christmas music, gets you in the mood. Relax, its okay Christmas is not bad. You don't have to analyze the livin daylights out of everything anymore. Christmas is good and so are you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit