Comments You Will Not Hear at the 11-21-04 WT Study

by blondie 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    Truth is found from personal experience and exploration. Jesus said to search for truth like hidden treasure continually... he didn't say to stop. Yet it seems a lot of people in religions stop searching and just let their religion spoon feed them.

Welcome unfettered. Interesting thoughts. I was not raised a JW, but had always been a searching sort of person. I had many interesting and somewhat spiritual realizations before becoming a JW, but had to let any of those ideas and explorations go after I joined up with the Org. (In fear of the demons you know.) It is good to be free again to think and explore new thoughts and ideas out of the WT box.

Thanks Blondie, I think this whole subject of paradise is the big carrot that drew me into the JWs and kept me there for several years, even though many of the teachings went against my grain so to speak. If it wasn't for this teaching of paradise I don't think the religion would have gone very far--the JW religion is just too dull and uninteresting otherwise. I imagine this carrot will be dangled more and more as the JWs continue to slow down and get "discouraged" by their religion. I truly believe it is what keeps most people there and what attracts so many into the religion. It's sad to lure people with such a hope and then use it to control them into doing other things that they would not normally want to do.

cybs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have thought often of Mark Twain's quote,

We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after the Truth. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he has never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were (permanent) Seekers after the Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment- until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. That was the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather.
    - "What is Man?"

http://www.twainquotes.com/Truth.html

Mark Twain was a contemporary of Russel's, wasn't he?

http://www.online-literature.com/twain/

http://www.witnessinc.com/biography.html

• Unfettered
    Unfettered

Thanks for the welcome. I generally don't share unless asked, but just got the itch to comment.

• Unfettered
    Unfettered

I really like the Twain quote. Very appropriate. I think we go in phases. We search we believe we find so we get excited. Then, after we have digested what we thought was the truth... as we become more intimately aware of what we have actually found instead of what we wanted to find, we realize that perhaps we have acquired one or two more piece of the puzzle but the sought after whole picture is still lacking. So, we move on to becoming searchers again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit