"Bless You!"

by kaykay_mp 26 Replies latest jw friends

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

...is something any decent person would say if you sneezed

But I was thinking, "surely some of the dubs would see something wrong with saying this." If you were at the hall, one of them would probably would cut in and say something asenine like, "You're not blessing him, Jehovah and his Holy Spirit is..."

Has anyone ever experienced this? Not just with "Bless You!", also with some other worldly expressions?

laters

kaykay_mp

• vitty
    vitty

Yeah I said flipping heck and got the biggest lecture from an elder on why I shouldnt say it.

So I apologized " sorry brother---------- I didnt f.....g realize I shouldnt say that"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

*** g99 10/22 p. 3 Superstitions?How Widespread Today? ***

IT HAPPENS everywhere?at work, at school, on public transportation, and on the street. You sneeze, and people you?ve never met, mere passersby, say: "God bless you" or simply "Bless you." There are similar expressions in many languages. In German the response is "Gesundheit." Arabs say "Yarhamak Allah," and some South Pacific Polynesians say "Tihei mauri ora."

Believing that it is simply common courtesy rooted in social etiquette, you may have given little thought to why people say this. Yet, the expression is rooted in superstition. Moira Smith, librarian at the Folklore Institute at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, U.S.A., says of the expression: "It comes from the idea that you are sneezing out your soul." To say "God bless" is, in effect, asking God to restore it.

Of course, most people would probably agree that to believe that the soul escapes your body during a sneeze is irrational. Not surprisingly, therefore, Webster?s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines superstition as "a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation."

Little wonder that a 17th-century physician called superstitions of his day the "vulgar errors" of the uneducated. Thus, as humans entered the 20th century with its scientific achievements, The Encyclopædia Britannica of 1910 optimistically foresaw the time when "civilization [would be] freed from the last ghost of superstition."
  • candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i got in trouble for writing " may jehovah bless your marriage" on a wedding card.

bless is a bad word

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yesterday, I sneezed and hubby said, "Bless you. Yay, I'm so happy I can go back to saying that to you again." I personally could care less either way.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Of course, most people would probably agree that to believe that the soul escapes your body during a sneeze is irrational.

yeah, but your heart stops when you sneeze, so I think it would only be right to say bless you.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Have you ever tried holding your eyes open and sneeze at the same time? Can't do it.

• VM44
    VM44
    " may jehovah bless your marriage"

why did you get in trouble for writing that? In fact, it sounds very proper to talk about Jehovah blessing a marriage, since Jehovah created marriage, and even married the first couple Adam and Eve.

So what was the reason?

--VM44

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Have you ever tried holding your eyes open and sneeze at the same time? Can't do it.

i beg to differ. it has been done. You sneeze at 200 miles per hour so it'll blow your eyes out of their sockets if you happened to keep your eyes open. luckily, closing your eyes is a reflex when you sneeze. Anyone remember that Guiness Book of World Records TV show on the FOX network. There was a lady who could make her eyes go out of their sockets all by herself. She said that she found out she could do it when she sneezed one day. Freaky, huh? laters kaykay_mp

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I'd like to see that lady pop her eyeballs . . .is she still around?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit