Just had my first "cold call"

by onacruse 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    that scripture that goes something like, "I planted, I watered and I also kept making it grow." 1 Corinthians 3:6 of the " Spiritual fulfilment is found from within and not from Religions" translation.

Oh dear, Brad, it actually says the opposite!!! So spiritual fulfillment "from within" is not to be found in that text. Quite the opposite.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I even reminded him about the biblical proverb that 'it's foolishness for a man to say that the former days were better than now,' as evidence that such subjective perceptions are just that: foolishness.

I wish you'd referenced that verse, Craig! It took me forever to find it (it might have helped if you'd said Ecclesiastes, instead of "proverb", too )

Here it is:

NRS Ecclesiastes 7:10 Do not say,"Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.
  • shamus
    shamus

Talking to JW's are like talking to the living dead. They're goals are so warped, they're lives so lame and lost, that it doesn't take a disfellowshipping or disassosiation to remove yourself from they're garbage ideologies.

When I talk to people who are still in, I find they're lifestyle repugnant and ridiculous. I don't assosiate with them whatsoever now for those very reasons. Good riddance! I can't even talk to witnesses anymore, and I never thought that I would say that when I first started to fade.

• formerout
    formerout

Ozzie,

I am not quite sure what you meant but I will elaborate on my thoughts, in case they were misunderstood. I was poking fun at Paul's "I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow" opinion and was trying to convey that if we delusionally looking towards other peoples' theories on life without grasping a firm hold of our own importance in the world and our own ability to directly influence things for the betterment of society, well, we quite frankly deserve to be in groups like the Jehovah's Witness religion.

If I misunderstood your comment, please let me know.

Brad

• avengers
    avengers
    I see Katie let you out of the closet long enough to do some yard work.

I think the yard work is just an excuse to smoke a cigaret.

How's the moving going guys? Did you move yet? Just curious.

Andy

• nb-dfed
    nb-dfed

I love your story. Since so many dubs are miserable, it really bugs them that we are happy out in the world. They take misguided comfort in believing we will be destroyed in the "last days". I keep waiting for them to show up at my door, since we are in a different congs. territory. I hope to have such an interesting conversation with them!

• bebu
    bebu

Good for you, ona.

I'll bet your calm and articulate replies bugged him just as much as hearing that you were happy.

I hope that it bothers him a lot!

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit