Just had my first "cold call"

by onacruse 26 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

In the course of the last 3 years, I've had just one visit from JWs: A visit from from an old Bethel roomate and another elder, just to check up on me, and see if I might want to rejoin the fold. You might well be able to imagine my responses.

Then, last weekend, a nice young fellow (Mitch) and his young (teenage) daughter, stopped by, while I was working in the yard. Offered me the Keep On The Watch brochure. Oddly enough, as I was disposing of recycle materials at the apartment, I found one of those brochures in the trash (rather like going to Goodwill LOL). So I told Mitch that I already had that brochure , and we proceeded to talk about the "signs," e.g., earthquakes (I mentioned the USGS site and had in mind Carl Jonson's works), pestilences (I mentioned the Black Plague), and he rapidly retreated to "it's the perception that matters." I invited him to take a Star Trek time-warp back through history, and re-visited a couple of things (like the American wild-west, and the French revolution), and how that every generation has its "regrets" about how things used to be. I even reminded him about the biblical proverb that 'it's foolishness for a man to say that the former days were better than now,' as evidence that such subjective perceptions are just that: foolishness.

At the close of the conversation, when I said I was happier now, after having been a baptized JW for 40 years (more years than this young fellow has even lived), he said, and I quote: "I'm sorry to hear that."

I also very explicitly told him that I had no problem with JWs as people, but that my problem was with the WTS as an intellectually dishonest organization. I invited him back, and also intimated that he might to make a mark on the territory card of my address as a "do not call." He said he wouldn't do that. We'll see.

My "effectiveness" in conversing with Mitch became almost irrelevant. When he and his daughter walked away, and I walked back to my yardwork, (to repeat) the primary thought that ran through me head was "He came to my home, offering me happiness; I said I am happy, and he said he was sorry to hear that."

Perhaps, as in my case, just another example of "when you're ready to really face the truth, you're ready."

Craig

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I said I am happy, and he said he was sorry to hear that

Craig,

i've found that nothing annoys a dub more than to use the word "happy". They just can't conceive of such an emotion, especially apart from the Witch Tower.

I guess you simply couldn't be happy because....................well, I don't know, and I don't think they do either, eh?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

i've found that nothing annoys a dub more than to use the word "happy"

Very perseptive.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes, Guy, you must really get up their noses!!!!

• lawrence
    lawrence

Craig-

You must remember, HOW CAN YOU be "HAPPY" if you aren't back in the fold? Then again... who are the evil doers?

Pr 4:14 (YLT) Into the path of the wicked enter not, And be not happy in a way of evil doers.

Excellent "cold call"!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    "He came to my home, offering me happiness; I said I am happy, and he said he was sorry to hear that."

Perhaps, as in my case, just another example of "when you're ready to really face the truth, you're ready."

The words from that Tom Cruse movie comes to mind; "You can't handle the truth" LOL Besides we can't forget they have the truth? they don't have to look for it.

I was rather surprised they didn't put us down on the do not call list because they had come by a couple of weeks before and I told them I didn't want anything to do with them........I was busy and they caught me off guard. There will be a next time, this territory gets worked often, he,hee and we'll be ready for them!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Excellent job Craig, I've talked with you on the phone before so I know a little of your demeanor, so I'm sure you were very calm and rational in your conversation with them.

My adrenaline goes off the scale every time I see JW's, so I don't think I could ever engage them in this way. Too bad.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I said I am happy, and he said he was sorry to hear that."

I think the difference is he was told that he was happy, where as you found your happiness.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    In the course of the last 3 years, I've had just one visit from JWs: A visit from from an old Bethel roomate and another elder, just to check up on me, and see if I might want to rejoin the fold. You might well be able to imagine my responses..

Let me guess... they ended up asking you if you would allow them to publish your story in the Awake magazine as one of those "upbuilding, overcoming adversity" stories.

• wasasister
    wasasister

I once used the same line on a JW who came to "encourage" me. "I'm very happy now," I said.

She responded, "Perhaps you only think you're happy."

"What's the difference between thinking one is happy and actually being happy?"

No answer....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit