jw takes blood over plasma in b.c.

by orbison11 42 Replies latest watchtower medical

• orbison11
    orbison11

this is an interesting read. recently, in my same small city, chiliwack, b.c. a court case was thrown out re a woman who died from complications during birth. some might remember the posting here regarding that issue. i am curious as to how this information, now being made public, will play with the other jw's

orbi

www.theprogress.com

• orbison11
    orbison11

i thought this was interesting enough to "bttt"

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

If I read the correct news article, this man got hepatitus from the transfusion, Unfortunatly this will be used by the jw's to bolster their claims about transfusions.

I am curious though, since at least here in the US all blood donated is tested for hepatitus and other ailments. If it shows up the blood is not used and the donor is notified.

The poor guy ended up worse for the wear.

Outoftheorg

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The surgery was done in 1994, so the blood was probably not being tested at that time.

This is a very interesting article. The key statement for JWs is not regarding the infection, but rather the one where the wife and daughter advocated plasma over blood. Both plasma and blood are specifically prohibited by JW doctrine, and here they are advocating plasma publicly.

They can wriggle out of it a couple of ways. They could claim the paper misquoted them. Or, the could claim that since the husband was a non-believer, he made his own choice. They could claim that they couselled him not to have any blood products, and that at his insistance they suggested a component, rather than whole.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Breast milk is commonly known as the best form of nutrition for neonates and infants. Somatic cells are pressent in it. Somatic cells are simply body cells present at low levels in normal colostrum milk. These include Leukocytes (white blood cells), and some cells from the secretory tissue (epithelial cells).

Accorting to the WT, Is the baby indulging in cannibalism? P-L-E-A-S-E!

Acta Paediatr Scand. 1981 Jan;70(1):87-90.
    Bactericidal activity of human milk leukocytes.

Bhaskaram P, Reddy V.

Breast milk samples obtained from 74 women, at different stages of lactation, were analysed for leukocyte (white blood cells) concentration and their bactericidal activity. The total leukocyte count in colostrum was 5 000/mm3 a concentration which is similar to that in circulation. As lactation became established, there was a drop in leukocyte concentration and the average count in mature milk was around 2 000/mm3 after the first 3 months. Polymorphs and mononuclear leukocytes together constituted 90--95% of the cells and the rest were lymphocytes (also white blood cells). Bactericidal activity of milk leukocytes was similar to that of circulating leukocytes, irrespective of the stage of lactation. These results indicate that breast milk is rich in living leukocytes and that these cells may have a protective role against infection in the infant. The total leukocyte concentration as well as their bactericidal capacity were similar in well nourished and undernourished women suggesting that the protective factors in milk are not influenced by nutritional status of the mother.

• willyloman
    willyloman

The news story ends with this:

"The government denied them assistance due to bureaucratic decision-making and a lack of compassion," he says.

Dude, you haven't SEEN lack of compassion yet!

• heathen
    heathen

So I guess the heppititus is going to be an excuse for the congregation to shun and humiliate the poor basturd . It was either die or take a chance in the first place , so now all the guy has to do is sue the dr. that gave him the bad blood and live his life the way he wants instead of tolerating a bunch of hypocrites . He's welcome on this board .......

• Gill
    Gill

The blood issue is still one that I find fascinating as with my last baby I lost, very suddenly nearly five pints of blood,(almost 3 litres) and as a JW at the time did not have blood but survived, be it in a high dependency unit. I know I would still be unhappy about having blood even though I see the life an death benefit. But I was in that life and death situation and am still here to tell the tale. So does blood save lives? Maybe and maybe not. As for the poor man with the hepatitis he has my greatest sympathy! I understand completely!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A sad story and interesting to "Watchtower watchers" like us. It reads as though the man is an 'unbelieving husband' who took what he understood to be best option at the time.

I guess the local dubs can congratulate themselves for advising against it. .. As for his wife advocating plasma? perhaps the Chilliwack Progress did not get it quite right..

• willyloman
    willyloman
    perhaps the Chilliwack Progress did not get it quite right..

And they often don't. Especially on such complex issues as JWs and their "stand" on blood. You'd think the WTS' public affairs office would monitor these press reports and work to educate the media. But I suspect it serves a purpose to keep the press ill-informed on this topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit