Is Jesus Christ and Michael the ArchAngel one and the same person?

by booker-t 251 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    My point? The word translated as worship can also mean homage, or to bow down, just as the New Jerusalem Bible uses it and therefore I do not believe in any way whatsoever that the Apostle Paul was saying the angels worshipped Jesus in the same way they worship God but rather they paid homage to Jesus.

Exoudus 34:14 NWT " for you must not prostrate yourself to another god, Jehovah whose name is jealous, he is a jealous God.

"Reasoning from the scriptures" page 215, 2nd paragraph:

The Greek word rendered "worship" is pro-sky-ne'o, which A greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature says was also "used to designate the custom of prostrating oneself before a person and kissing his feet, the hem of his garment."

By the NWT you cannot prostrate yourself before Jesus or any other little "g" god.

Btw what is strongs # for "prostrate" ?

See also John 5:18

• heathen
    heathen

Happyguy:)-- I was only trying to state my opinion that jesus main purpose was to die for the the sin of adam and therefor was urgently seeking his father and hoping that he had not displeased the almighty himself in some way, at the end his last statement was ," father into your hands I entrust my spirit". It doesn't sound like fear of death to me and couldn't be further from the truth involving the final moments of jesus human existance . I think so far your argument lacks substance , you can call mine shanty town or whatever else you feel can be "justified" but to me you have proven nothing and sound like the wolf who thinks he can blow down a brick building built on a rock solid foundation. I say , not by the hair of my chinny chin chin ..................................

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

you can call mine shanty town

First of all Heathen do not misquote me please. I referred to the argument as being a shack or shanty i.e it is smaller than a house. Never did I refer to it as Shanty town.

My point was simply that the Jesus = Michael argument is a very narrow one and not built on substance in my opinion. The comment was not meant to disparage anyone. By you attempting to rewrite what I said in order to make it look more disparaging does not help.

to me you have proven nothing and sound like the wolf who thinks he can blow down a brick building built on a rock solid foundation.

As far as that comment goes. I am not trying to prove anything. Rather I have been questioning other people's claims and questioning the logic or validity of this Michael = Jesus claim. Clearly I have upset a few here and once again I apologize for that.

I believe Leolaia has done a very good job of arguing against the Michael = Jesus assumption. I think I will leave it to her to continue and you can tell her how rock solid your foundation is.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Sabrina,

In Rev. 19:9, 10 one angel refuses "homage" but in another Heb. 1:6 all the angels are commanded by God to do "homage" to an archangel and he can accept it. How do you reconcile the two?

See also Heb. 2:5

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Leolaia,

Sabrina....The problem is that your interpretation of Revelation 12 is not grounded in actually attested motifs and allusions but in stipulative suppositions ("this may be"..."at Christ's crucifixion possibly"..."could very well be"...etc.), just the same manner as the Society interprets Revelation arbitrarily in the Revelation Climax book.

I was merely trying to show that Revelation 12 did not disallow the possibility that Jesus is Michael as you asserted. The "stipulative suppositions" as you call them were an attempt to allow for the beliefs or thoughts of others who also believe that Jesus is Michael. The only purpose of the post was to refute your assertion with regard to Revelation 12 not to necessarily express my own beliefs on every scripture. On this board a Christian is at times between a rock and hard place. If s/he expresses definite and finite thought on a scripture they risk being called dogmatic. If they speak in more open minded terms with "stipulative suppositions" they can then be regarded as hedging their bets or worse Watchtower-like.

A more faithful interpretation would be one that considers what the tropes and motifs meant at the time by their attestation and use in prophetic and apocalyptic literature; thus, the allusion to the "male child who is to rule the nations with an iron sceptre" is a very specific reference to the Messiah, as it was widely attested with this meaning.

You say "a more faithful interpretation....." yet, I did say the child was Jesus. I may not have expressed it as you would but then we are approaching this from different viewpoints. We do agree on the child being the Messiah.

You are correct about the "woman" signifying either Israel or spiritual Israel, as this is also a commonplace of OT and apocalyptic literature (as well as the twelve stars being an allusion to the twelve tribes, as the same motif has this application in a dream vision in Genesis), and the persecution of the woman recalls the persecution of the Jews or Christians in the respective eras.

I agree with you, though for me the need to look outside the Bible for spiritual interpretation of the scriptures is not necessary. I believe the Bible sufficiently explains itself.

The problem that I was pointing out, which is being overlooked, is that Michael and the Messiah child are being distinguished because in the same scene one is defending the other against the dragon. The logic of the scene does not work by conflating one with the other.

Okay! Now we get to the heart of the problem!

Revelation 12:5-7

"She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne. Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days. And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven an longer."

May I ask, where does it say in those scriptures that Michael is defending the Child? It does not say that at all. What it says is that after the child was caught up to God and his throne, war broke out. When the Messiah was resurrected to heaven was he really a small child in need of defending? By no means. So the idea that Michael was defending the Child is neither supported by the scripture nor by the reality of the situation.

One must also not insist that Michael is conceived as being Jesus because only Jesus can fight and defeat the dragon and his angels; in Daniel, Michael defeats the kingdoms ruled by the other angelic princes, in 1 Enoch, Michael binds the leading rebel angel under the rocks of the earth until Judgment Day, and finally in the War Scroll Michael has just this role of fighting against the forces of darkness. Rather, Michael fights on the behalf of the Messiah, protecting him and his people (the woman) at a time when they are most vulnerable.

The prophecies and teachings of the Bible are and must be supported and explained by the Bible itself. To use other religious books as keys to unlock the secrets of the Bible is not supported by the Bible.

And while Revelation 12 is somewhat ambiguous because of the language of the apoacyptic genre, there is no equivocation in Hebrews 1 which is specifically designed to deny any angel christology for Jesus.

I have attempted to partially answer this question in my post to Kenneson on this thread. You said Hebrews 1 was"...specifically designed to deny any angel christology for Jesus." I would like to quote verse 4 of that chapter from a few translations: First though....

Verse 3 - He is the reflection of God's glory and bears the impress of God's own being, sustaining all thing by his powerful command; and now that he has purged sins away, he has taken his seat at the right hand of the divine Majesty on high.

Verse 4 in various Bibles

NJB - "So he is now as far above the angels as the title which he has inherited is higher than their own name."

NKJV - "having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they"

NRSV - "having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs"

NASB - "having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they."

##############

Paul was obviously trying to make the point that Jesus' ransom sacrifice had made his name and position in the heavens rise even higher than it had been.

The Firstborn Son of God always had a special and holy position, he was the Word. Through him the angels themselves were created. But is it really so hard to believe that if the Son of God, the Word, can come to earth and be born between the legs of a woman, regard himself a friend and be called teacher by some lowly men and women who did not always know their right from their left, that he could not also be called Chief Angel by the very angels he had lived with, worked with and fought side by side with?

Jesus was certainly above the angels, that does not preclude him from being called the Archangel and Hebrews 1 does not preclude that either.

Sabrina

• heathen
    heathen

sabrina ---

If s/he expresses definite and finite thought on a scripture they risk being called dogmatic. If they speak in more open minded terms with "stipulative suppositions" they can then be regarded as hedging their bets or worse Watchtower-like.

I agree . It looks like to even say the WTBTS made a point somewhere is to say you are a j-dub . I don't like the religion or what the people did to me but one thing they did do was inspire me to discern for myself . The last thing I want to do is feel like I'm forcing a belief on anybody through peer pressure or any other means . I think jesus himself showed the authority he had over the spirit realm even in human existence by casting out demons and his name being used to cast out demons then at one point he stated he could call all the angels from heaven to defend him whenever peter attacked the slave that was taking jesus into custody , all the evidence proves that jesus was something extraordinary . As opposed to the trinity doctrine this all makes so much more sense to me.

Happy Guy:) --- Leolaia does not impress me . Those obscure writings she always quotes mean nothing to me .

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I agree that Jesus could have been called "the archangel" along the line of Philo's use of the term to mean the unique status of the logos and "firstborn son" (De Confusione Linguarum 146, quoted on p. 1 of this thread; if Leolaia could edit the Greek text I would be very grateful, unfortunately I can't afford TLG now). However, he could not have been called "the archangel Michael", which clearly belongs to the Jewish tradition of the seven archangels (as Leolaia's quotes show).

If the books which (by chance or Providence as you like) happened to be included in your Bible canon explicitly quote or refer to other books which happened not to be included in this canon, does that mean you have to ignore to the original meaning of the quotation in its original context and start blind guessing with only canonical reference? That sounds like militant obscurantism. Even the most conservative or fundamentalist exegetes would not recommend that.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Sabrina writes: "Jesus was certainly above the angels, but that does not preclude him from being called the Archangel and Heb. 1 does not preclude that either."

What you do not show is how the Archangel (albeit a creature in the angel genus) can be the one through whom other angels are created (as well as everything else there is). Col. 1:16-17 How can a creature be the instrument of creation? How can the one in Col. 1:16-17 and John 1:3 be other than Creator?

That Jesus is higher than the angels, thus excluding him from the ranks of angels (the Archangel), there is no doubt. "...that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God. the Father." Phil. 2:10-11 And this can not mean mere "homage." Compare to Rom. 14:11 and Isa. 45:23

See also 1 Pet. 3:22

• heathen
    heathen

Narkisos--- I have already called into question the authenticity of the writings outside those of the bible . I mean even the catholic church tried to add it's own scripture in the bible , that does not give it credibility . The writings that are in the bible were determined to be compositions of ancient kings and prophets .

Kenneson--- The bible is clear that jesus was co- creator much like he is co- ruler of heaven and earth . revelation 11:15 shows a somewhat symbiotic nature of the relationship .

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I don't have access to my resources at the moment, here is Yonge's translation of the text in English:

And even if there be not as yet any one who is worthy to be called a son of God, nevertheless let him labour earnestly to be adorned according to his first-born Word, the eldest of his angels, as the great archangel of many names; for he is called, the authority, and the name of God, and the Word, and man according to God's image, and he who sees Israel (De Confusione Linguarum 146).

And "archangel" is a title that Philo applies to God:

"But the dream also represented the archangel, namely the Lord himself, firmly planted on the ladder; for we must imagine that the living God stands above all things, like the charioteer of a chariot, or the pilot of a ship; that is, above bodies, and above souls, and above all creatures, and above the earth, and above the air, and above the heaven, and above all the powers of the outward senses, and above the invisible natures, in short, above all things whether visible or invisible; for having made the whole to depend upon himself, he governs it and all the vastness of nature" (On Dreams, 25).

Philo's usage in Confusion of the Tongues is quite idiosyncratic and derivative of his Logos typology, the other text is reminiscent of Justin Martyr's application of "Angel" as a title for the Lord God. The legend about "Michael the archangel" in Jude and the eschatological context of Paul's allusion to the "shout like an archangel" in the NT do not draw on Philo's conception and belong to the apocalyptic tradition represented by 1 Enoch and the pseudepigraphical testaments (cf. the role of Michael in caring for the soul and/or body of the deceased patriarch in the Testament of Abraham, the Testament of Isaac, and so forth).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit