so, who here believes the Bible to be completely true?

by hmm...interesting 39 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

true isnt the word....

its a true work of historical writings..

do i believe the events in it happened? maybe..but the writings may not be true depictions of events. too much of it paralells (SP) old fables from before biblical times so i feel some stories are adapted by the authors to be used as biblical history.

example is the story of adam and eve.. if adam had written the story maybe i'd believe it.. but it was written hundreds if not thousands of years later so the story takes on fairy tale proportions. the same story is given in different forms by many other religions predating the jews.

i believe in a creator.. i believe in God but i feel the evidence of evolution is strong so maybe God created humans by a process of evolution and thats not touched on in the bible. if i was more intelligent i'd study other religions that arent "bible based" to see what is similar and what is different.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

It was planted by the aliens

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear Nancy Drake,

Now, why would the aliens do that?

michelle

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake
    Dear Nancy Drake,

Now, why would the aliens do that?

Oops...I forgot to add "LOL"

There is a guy at work that just told me the bible was written by aliens and planted here to add to their entertainment value. Oh yeah, and earth is just a giant alien experiment.

I think he watches too much South Park.

• Shirley UJest
    Shirley UJest

I believe that the bible is a story. It was wrote by men. It helps the masses to be controlled. It gives some people meaning in their lives, where they have none. It takes over for independant thought. With the bible, there is no real need for independant fhought, now is there. LOL For me, it is just like everything else. Read, take in, use what you can from the information. All of the religions are the same. Think about it. Read something that tells you how to live your life, (bible, koran, ect) by a prophet, (budda, mohammad, jesus, john smith) and you will have a reward at the end. (heaven, reincarnation, ect....) it is all the same.

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I believe that the bible is a story. It was wrote by men. It helps the masses to be controlled. It gives some people meaning in their lives, where they have none. It takes over for independant thought. With the bible, there is no real need for independant fhought, now is there. LOL For me, it is just like everything else. Read, take in, use what you can from the information. All of the religions are the same. Think about it. Read something that tells you how to live your life, (bible, koran, ect) by a prophet, (budda, mohammad, jesus, john smith) and you will have a reward at the end. (heaven, reincarnation, ect....) it is all the same. Amen to that

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Count me out!

One day I was watching Return of the Jedi with my JW sister and nephew.

Yoda: "When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?"

Nephew: "Nine hundred?!"

Sister: "It's only pretend! Noone could possibly live to be 900."

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

And then there's the question: What does it actually say? It would be just a kind of confusion to believe in the bible without knowing what it says wouldn't it?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

interpretation of the bible as a whole

aaah.... there IS no "bible as a whole". there never was. there always was a bunch of independent scrolls and they grew over time.

when there were too many, some guy thought it would be a good idea to throw a few of them out. he wrote a list of sacred books/letters, probably sacred books/letters and not so sacred books/letters. but just about everyone got him wrong...

some thought, the probably sacred books would not be sacred, some thought the completely heretic books would be inspired (revelation for example) and it was a big chaos, so every religious group by then decided to use their own selection of books again. later they called it canon.

in the 16th century the catholic church confirmed it's canon of 72 books. luther was with jerome and used 66 "inspired" books but also translated the other "deuterocanonical" books. the later protestant religions, jw's are one of them, use the luther tradition. there are MANY other canons.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I don't. Apart from the inconsistencies, innaccuracies, and suspect histories, there are some distasteful portrayals of God in the OT. Whole different streams of christian sects had their books banned as heretical. Funny thing is that some of those books do a better job of invoking my spirituality than the 66 book Bible. Then again maybe thats just confirmation than I'm of the Eeeeeevil Slave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit