Were You Afraid Of The Elders?.Did Ya Love Em?...What Was Your View of Them

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I loved them. They were always kind to me and loved me very much. I talked to them about many things over the years. This past time, I still don't blame them, because despite all they knew, they had no choice but dole out the punishment because they had to follow orders. That reminds me of how Winston Smith felt when he receved a Bullet in the back of his Head from Big Brother.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I loved them. They were always kind to me and loved me very much. I talked to them about many things over the years. This past time, I still don't blame them, because despite all they knew, they had no choice but dole out the punishment because they had to follow orders.
    That reminds me of how Winston Smith felt when he receved a Bullet in the back of his Head from Big Brother. I was just about to say the same thing. 1984 by George Orwell Mandatory reading for ALL xjw?s

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

I always felt they were uneducated men who would never be leaders anywhere but the org. Being elders was the only way life made them feel important. I only had one elder I truley cared about and respected. Still do.

• kls
    kls

I was not brought up in the cult so it maybe different for a child to view the elders but i had always thought that they were Arrogant, self righteous and wanted to be viewed as Godly. Afraid of them no, i never looked up to them anymore then they looked up to me.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

There were a couple that i will never forget.

One of which gave one of his organs to his dying nonbelieving wife. He was very nice and understanding man, i hope he made it out somehow.

• Swan
    Swan

The ones who ask question after question are the worst.

But generally I got along with most of them and some I felt were even good friends. I miss a couple of them.

There were occasionally problems with some self-righteous ones who got real power crazed and ruled with a big stick. I detested them, although I couldn't say so at the time.

Two of worst of these kind of elders were arbitrary, unjust, and dogmatic. They ganged up on the other elders and pushed their ways through. The worst thing these a**holes did was when they reproved a MS who molested his granddaughter, bought into the excuse that it was because his wife was bedridden and couldn't satisfy his sexual needs, and then counseled the congregation about it. In our local needs talks the wives were told to be giving their marital due to their husbands so that the husband wouldn't seek sexual release outside of the marriage. We were also counseled that we should not treat this MS any differently once his punishment had been served (weekend jail time). We should speak to him and show him brotherly love.

Tammy

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

"i had always thought that they were Arrogant, self righteous and wanted to be viewed as Godly. Afraid of them no, i never looked up to them anymore then they looked up to me."

I found that I often looked down on them because of their arrogance, and sometimes, outright stupidity. They loved their own prominence in the congregation, and to some extent, it's understandable. They HAD to feel important in the congregations, because outside of it, they were nothing.

Walter

• Dawn
    Dawn

I used to be afraid of them - always had that guilty conscience thing going, even if I had NOTHING to be guilty about.

But - once my dad and brothers all became elders I realized they weren't anything special to be afraid of. Heck - if my family, being as screwed up hypocritical dysfunctional beings were appointed...well...you know.

Of course - I was only afraid of them so long as I gave them that power. They don't have any power over me now so I'm not afraid.

PS - I should add - there were a couple of elders that I felt (and still feel) were truly Christian. They really tried to help people and do the right thing. None of them were from MY family of course

• minimus
    minimus

My first years as an elder produced in me the belief that I was appointed by God to help the congrgation AND straighten things out. I realized as years went by that being harsh was not the NATURAL way for me to be but it was the Society's way they wanted you to be.

• stm345
    stm345

I served as an elder and had several good friends who are still elders. I work with an elder who has been a good friend to me through all my breakdown and falling away and still counts me as one of his best friends.(I know...hard to believe , but true) Another, whom ive known for 27 years asked me to go for a drink with him the other night and didnt want to talk about the "truth".

On the other hand when i became an elder a brother who Id always considered viewed it as a power trip came up and said..youve made it...you cant get "higher" than this...even the co's, the do's and the zone overseers are elders. I just couldnt believe where he was coming from, i mean i actually believed that we were all there to help the brothers and promote harmony with God and man (i know that sounds too noble, but i was naieve enough to believe thats what we were all trying to do). I noticed a definite "jobs for the boys" culture with many Circuit Overseers who pushed their favourites on to assembly programs etc.

What i noticed too is that the loving, kind, sensitive ones, in other words the best ones for the job, nearly always came off in the end, because they couldnt stand the tension at elders meetings and the way the same ones pushed themselves and their opinions to the front, So it was just the same as any other "worldly" org. with the most strident personalities ruling the roost, and who couldnt and wouldnt take counsel whatever thw WT said.

So i suppose my post is ...good and bad...and the good ones like Ray Franz said, sincerely believe they are doing right, they just havent seen the light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit