Were You Afraid Of The Elders?.Did Ya Love Em?...What Was Your View of Them

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I've heard of brothers and sisters saying that they have "prayed for the elders because they love them for their hard work and sacrifice". I've also heard of how some in the congregation were petrified of the elders and of course, there were those that said they were either only men or that they were direct representatives of Jehovah God Himself.

• undercover
    undercover

Interesting question...one that should evoke all kinds of responses....

Myself....as a child during the early-mid 60s, I feared the elders. Elders were not so much shepards as they were Gestapo agents. They were there to make sure rules were obeyed. They were there to "take care of" disobedient ones, rebels and dissenters. Sometime in the mid to late 70s, there seemed to be a shift from the elders being disclipinarians to being more shepard like. They were to lead by example and in teaching but were firm when necessary. They seemed to become more affable and likeable.

Was this because I was growing up and seeing them in a different light or because the patterns changed? Looking back at the publications from the 50s and 60s compared to the mid 70s to the early 80s, I think the WTS started to encourage elders to be approachable and easy to deal with. Rigidness & hardheadedness - out, merciful & caring - in.

Comparing elders from my age group today to some of the old school still left around, I can see a definite change in style and personalities. Old school guys are still somewhat strict and rigid, not willing to compromise a position or be reasoned with. The young guns tend to be looser, easy going, not sweating the details or the little things. Of course these are generalities...I have seen examples of both types in both age groups. The young ones who are strict and rigid are usually worse than the old school guys. It's like they have to prove something or make up for something lacking in their life elsewhere.

• minimus
    minimus

If elders can just remain cold and heartless, they will be good Society men.

• Jez
    Jez

I loved them. They were always kind to me and loved me very much. I talked to them about many things over the years. This past time, I still don't blame them, because despite all they knew, they had no choice but dole out the punishment because they had to follow orders.

• JH
    JH

Brothers change when they become elders. I had good friends in the congregation, and when they became elders, they changed radiacally. Instead of remaining close friends, they distanced themselves from me, and made new friends amongst the productive ones.

• Purza
    Purza

I had one elder who I followed to another hall because he was a great comfort for me. My dad was upset that I followed him because I left the hall I was assigned to. The elder left the hall again a few years later and that is when I fell apart. I think I used this elder to hold me up and when he left I said "to hell with it". All the rest of the elders I knew were okay. . . but I truly did love this one (in a father/daughter relationship). If I saw him now -- I might have some anxiety and fear that he would be disappointed I didn't stick with the organization.

Purza

• blondie
    blondie

In spite of my lack of confidence in elders, I did meet a very few who were truly Christlike, willing to buck the company men. Needless to say, they were kicked around and thought of no account.

I always say there are 2 types of elders, those that beat the sheep and those who let them through fear of retribution to themselves and their families. Most of the ones I know who finally stood up and were counted were removed or stepped down. You know who that leaves.

There is no confidentiality, the true kind among elders. You can be sure if one elder knows, the whole body knows, and it only takes one elder who tells his Chatty Kathy wife, to get it inaccurately spread throughout the congregation (throughout the circuit in some cases).

I admire all the ex-elders who post here who finally came to their senses.

Love, Blondie

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I knew one elder who was not a 'company man'. He's an ex-jw now. The good ones usually find their way out of the cult.

I was usually pissed off at the elders.

Walter

• minimus
    minimus

Many of the elders that were good reasonable men are now gone. This newer generation has been trained by the COs to be Society men--not people persons.

• JH
    JH

For me, an elder is like a cop in the congregation. A person who has a book filled with laws, just like a cop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit