I Would Be So Chuffed To Own One Of These..

by Englishman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I think I remember riding a steam train in Wales. What a strange thing... I've forgotten it completely until now. Is it like, a regular thing? Wow, memories are flooding back. I know that in West Virginia (America's Wales country) they have steam lines that climb mountains and show off scenery.

CZAR

• TD
    TD

Eman

I used to subscribe to Live Steam years ago and share your enthusiasm completely.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about steam engines, (The sound? The smell?) but it does quicken the heart.

• Englishman
    Englishman

TD,

We are blessed with dozens of steam railways in the UK. They're run by enthusiasts who try to raise money to re-open old branch lines that were closed 40 years ago.

In the 70's, some folk started to pine for the old days of steam. As luck would have it, one of the scrap metal companies originally hired to dispose of the 1000's of engines had decicded to scrap the old carriages and wagons before starting on the locos. So there were still several hundred locomotives in various decrepit states lying around. It was these locos that were rebuilt and are running in steam today. http://ukhrail.uel.ac.uk/

Nice little train, Englishman.

The model train is a replica of "Mallard" which clocked up the record speed of 126mph in the 30's. No steam train has ever exceeded that speed.

Englishman.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

E-man, not only men are fascinated by steam engines - me too.

We had a small really working model of a steam engine back home. (now one of my brothers got it).

There is an open air kind museum with working steam trains and trams which with one line to a holiday resort appr. 10 km lenght. The repare units are open to the public (everybody involved are volunteers).

When you're a member, you are allowed to travel with them a one time a year for free, but everyone who wants can buy a ticket. They have some 40 trips a year and its allways crowded.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    What could be better than Live Steam in your own home, with the sights, the smells and the action of a real steam locomotive?

Well it's this line of the advert that bothers me! I've smelled these things before and while I think they are really cool, I don't know if I want that smell to permeate my house!

Cool train, eman.

Sherry

• Prefect
    Prefect

Anorak clad wielding zealots lovers of steam?

You ought to have see the smile on your face as you travelred behind the miniture steam railway in

Betws y Coed. It was wider than your young sons.

• Simon
    Simon

Oh no, the secret is out. The shame

LOL

I'd probably buy one of those ride-on miniature engines myself if I won the lottery

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well here's the Betwys y coed steam railway..possibly being driven by Simon himself:

alt

Looks more like the Chatanooga Choo Choo to me!

Englishman.

• Special K
    Special K

Englishman, you need one of those train engineers hats, if you don't already have one.

That could be your new avatar. A picture of you with a train engineer's hat on.

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit