"You'll still be handled as a disfellowshipped person."

by Fleur 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleur
    Fleur

That was the response that I got from a relative when I asked if they would shun me if I came to my grandmother's memorial service.

The same relative thinks that I should go, despite that because it's a public event but that if I did I should realize that I'd still be handled as a df'd person. Meaning, they would all shun me.

I have for days been trying to help this relative arrange my grandmother's burial with another relative who has refused to sign necessary papers. I even offered to pay for said burial out of my own pocket if money were an issue. But it's not going to happen because relative A won't deal with relative B, period. Nothing I can do, I have no legal leg to stand on.

So relative B is complaining about the rift with A to me, and complaining that not all the family may come to the memorial. When I told them that I wondered if I would go because I didn't know if I could handle being shunned while I am desperately grieving my grandmother, the above was the response. It was followed by "If I can assist you in helping to return you to the congregation let me know."

Why? So I can be loving and kind, like the wonderful christians who would stand there and ignore a close relative at a funeral?! When members of the family who know the religion full well and have lived lives that make me look like a saint (ha) but didn't make the mistake of getting in the pool when they were children can associate with the family at any time in any way no matter how much they use drugs, produce children out of wedlock, or go to jail? (none of which i've done).

No, thank you. I'd rather die an "apostate" than live a hypocrite.

Even my grandmother wouldn't want me to put myself through that. She had huge issues with the family treating me that way and told me so and she always, always loved me no matter what.

I had something of an odd occurrance yesterday when going through her things to get some keepsakes with my mom, something that indicated that I am supposed to go on a trip we're about to leave on. Something that couldn't have been coincidence. I think in her own way, wherever she is now, grandma was telling me that not only does she love me but that she wants me to go on, and be happy. That was all she wanted me to be since I was a child. My mother said "Jehovah is trying to tell you something" but that, I doubt. It was grandma.

I just cannot fathom how anyone could be so cold as they are at times like this. It's not like I showed up at a family celebration like a wedding. I've already missed more of those than I can count due to shunning.

I wrote the relative back and said that I didn't want to be handled, I just wanted to be part of my family even though I am not a JW. He left it by saying he wanted to see me alone when he is here for the funeral because he wants to clear up misunderstandings I have of the arrangement and he wants to clear that up.

I think not. I mean, I think that I thoroughly understand the concept, I was born into the JW's and was until mid 20's. Lets see, you guys think I have this right? the way that I understand the concept perfectly well, it's simple really.

If I'm a JW, then I am good enough to be a member of my own family. If I am no longer a JW, I am not.

Where is the misunderstanding in that?

At least he knows that I ended things by saying that my love for them is unconditional. That is all I can do. I told them my door is always open and all I can hope is that someday, they will see that I am a person separate from the religion.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Last year when my grandmother was battling cancer, I stayed up all night to make her a handmade blanket to keep her warm during treatments because she was so very thin. I Fed Ex-ed it to her where she was staying with these relatives. Someone saw the blanket and box and said to her, "You're still having contact with that apostate?" my grandmother was so upset that she cried and didn't come out of her room for more than a day until another relative finally talked her out. Her relationship with the person who said that was never the same.

Anyone who would use love of god and christ as the basis for making an old woman cry over a gift like that from someone who loved her is not someone that I ever, ever want to call my 'brother'.

My mother is still using the "if you want to please grandmother then grant her dearest wish and go back to the organization." I told her on the phone, mom, I can't be like them. I just can't.

How come this still hurts so bad :( You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

Thanks for listening.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

((((((((((((((((((((((((ESSIE)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

other than a hug and some prayers I guess all I can offer is ,well, just watch the door so you can cry in peace...................."Forgive them as they know not what they do" just dont cut it here, does it?

--------Jeff

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hugs fleur.. in my opinion if you feel the need to go to the funeral to say goodbye to your grandmother and show your respect then go. it will be painful but honey remember your not the one causing the pain. they are. as you told them, your door is open.

if you feel you cant go, thats ok too, your grandmother is at peace now. you showed love to her while she was ailing, making the blanket was a sweet loving gesture. you'd miss the fine witness given in the funeral talk ( sorry i cant call it a eulogy if its a jw funeral) , you'd miss family self righteously shunning you.... but ya know.. if you do go.. you remind them your human, your still alive, your doing ok, and there is life after being a jw and you really dont know who that might affect.. some may be secretly getting sick of the jw world too..

whatever you decide, remember your not an evil apostate.. your a grieving grandaughter, your a woman whos stood up for what she believes in.. hugs tight and hang in there.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The "truth" brings out the worst in peoples' personalities. It's sad to hear what you're going through.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Fleur, my heart so goes out to you..

((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    if you feel the need to go to the funeral to say goodbye to your grandmother and show your respect then go.

I agree. Having never been a JW, I know I'm coming from left field, but why don't you take a couple of "worldly" friends with you. Wouldn't they be lest likely to shun you in front of the "world" and bring shame upon the organization? It's very sad either way.... I'm so sorry for your pain.

• hubert
    hubert

Sorry to hear about your grandma, Fleur. She sounds like a loving grandma. Everyone should have one as loving as yours. And she still is loving you.

Do you have any friends outside of the org. that are from a different religion? If so, why not have your own memorial service, or mass, at their church, and don't bother going to the j.w. memorial service? This way, you can still pay your respects to your grandma, and to hell with the j.w.'s. and j.w. family, if you don't mind me saying that.

Just an idea..... Peace, my friend, and God bless.

Hubert

• Mulan
    Mulan
    He left it by saying he wanted to see me alone when he is here for the funeral because he wants to clear up misunderstandings I have of the arrangement and he wants to clear that up.

I would see him. Maybe he has something to talk about, that you aren't aware of. I would at least give him a chance.

As for the memorial services, if they don't have a problem with your being there, then go if you want to go. You won't be totally alone, as I am sure your husband will be by your side. You can always leave if things get too dicey.

You are in my thoughts, sweet one.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WHY DOES IT HURT SO BAD????????

Because their conduct towards you is abnormal.

You know that you have done nothing to them individually or as a group, that justifies their actions.

It is like being tried and convicted. Sent to jail for LIFE, for something you did not do.

You are dealing with people with an abnormal outlook, mentally and emotionally, on how to deal with some one strong enough to break the bonds of the cult.

If it were me, I would do what ever feels best FOR YOU in regards this funeral.

Then let time take its course and hope for the best down the road, months or years from now.

While living your life to the fullest.

Outoftheorg

• Fleur
    Fleur

I will see him if he actually makes the effort. He never has in the past even when my mother and grandmother both asked him to visit me to encourage me to come back.

As far as what he has to tell me, I know him well enough, he would tell me in advance if he had any new or major information, I think he wants to justify to me why he sees worldly relatives and not me. I know the answer: they never got baptized. It's tragic to me that a mistake I made as a twelve year old condemns me for the rest of my life, in the eyes of my JW relatives.

A word to those lurkers out there; don't let your kids get baptized until they're at least eighteen. They can't realize what they're getting themselves into, and if you want to keep your family intact, there's no way out.

I just can't imagine what he thinks I don't understand about the shunning arrangement. There is nothing to misunderstand, the WTS stand is clear.

I know I'm not the only person who has been through this, and I appreciate everyones support.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit