Honour Your Parents No Matter How Bad They Are..

by Englishman 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was 11 and the courts took my father's parental rights away I stopped referring to him as daddy and always used his first name. It is amazing how many times my mother (they were separated) would ask me "Who?"

If God and the JWs refuse to forgive those who are unrepentant then why on earth should the victims of an abusive parent?

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Honour and respect must be earned.

Very good comment kwint.

Earned by setting an example of honour and respect not one of violence and abuse.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Forget about honor and respect, it took me about 15 years just to forgive them.

Sherry

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    "I thank Jehovah God that [my mother] didn?t abort me or dump me in a garbage can as a baby

You don't know how many times I heard this from my mother when I was ordered to respect her. Hell, I may as well have been dumped into the garbage since that's how I was treated.

• kls
    kls

I would not respect " the parents " anymore then i would respect the JW cult. I respect the the fact that "the parents " are dead and would respect the Jw cult when it is dead.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I think you have a good point, Englishman. The Watchtower Society's entire focus is on authority (put simply, who gets to tell others what to do), and so anything that might enhance the authority of the Governing Body and its lower echelons will be touted as good.

On the other hand, the Society teaches people to dishonor anyone who dishonors it. Then all other authority, and calls to honor "God-given" authority structures such as parent-child relationships, are tossed out the window.

In other words, in the usual way of despots, the GB's goal is to enhance and propagate its own authority at all costs. And of course, their braindead cult followers are taught never to see the contradictions.

AlanF

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It's a progression;

Honor you mother and father NO MATTER WHAT

Jehovah is your heavenly father honor him NO MATTER WHAT

The WBTS is Jehovah's direct representitive here on earth honor them NO MATTER WHAT...

So simple once your outside...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Honour and respect must be earned.

That's a common point of view but it's not what the Bible says, as quoted by Eman.

No matter what they wish, the boys in Crooklyn can never take the place of natural parents. Oh, they may try and at times have some success superficially but not deep down.

A parent is a parent.

I guess the point that I was getting at is similar to others that had posted after me.

Is a parent who abuses (emotionally or physically) considered a parent? Is that why some hide the abuse, to honour their parents? I'm sure when the bible was written, there weren't as many disfunctional families as there are today. Had there been, there might be a few more chapters in it.

Kwin

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I'm sure when the bible was written, there weren't as many disfunctional families as there are today.

There was no need for dysfunctional families, everyone had a dysfunctional god.

• Fleur
    Fleur

oh god, that makes me totally nauseaus. Abusive parents deserve no respect. Period. Speaking as a parent, I can't imagine abusing my child. And anyone who did would have to deal with ME.

Utter rubbish, all of it. The whole lot of JW 'wisdom'...pure rubbish.

:(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit