Honour Your Parents No Matter How Bad They Are..

by Englishman 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Englishman
    Englishman

..and by logical extension, IMHO, you'll always show a deep respect for your Brooklyn parent too.

Look at this from a Young People Ask article:

>>>>>Parents who are hot-tempered or immoral, who are drunkards, or who bicker with each other?are they really worthy of honor? Yes, for the Bible condemns holding any parent "in derision." (Proverbs 30:17) Proverbs 23:22 further reminds us that your parents have "caused your birth." This alone is reason to honor them. Gregory, who at one time was very disrespectful, now says: "I thank Jehovah God that [my mother] didn?t abort me or dump me in a garbage can as a baby. She is a single parent, and there were six of us. I know it was tough on her."<<<<<<

So Gregory should be grateful his Mum didn't put him out with the garbage? WoW!

Englishman.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I wonder how this applies to a df'd or da'd parent...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

"Ok kids, you must honour me because I can get it up and I have a high sperm count."

Yeah, right.

It takes no special skill to screw and have kids. I'm sure even I could do it. If a parent is to be honoured it should be for what happens AFTER the birth of the child, not before.

Maybe I should be happy that I was beaten with a tennis raquet instead of a ball peen hammer.

The same old vomit never stops spewing forth from the watchtower's mouth, eh?

Walter

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Honour and respect must be earned.

Kwin

• garybuss
    garybuss

To receive honor or respect, a parent needs to be honorable and needs to behave respectably. I don't see Witnesses making that page. If they are willing to change, I have no problem with that.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Honour and respect must be earned.

That's a common point of view but it's not what the Bible says, as quoted by Eman.

No matter what they wish, the boys in Crooklyn can never take the place of natural parents. Oh, they may try and at times have some success superficially but not deep down.

A parent is a parent.

• blondie
    blondie

Can you imagine that JWs said that I should honor my unrepentant, abusive father and mother? It'd be a different story if it were their child or grandchild that had been abused by them.

I kept this quote handy in my purse:

w97 12/1 p. 20 ?Continue Forgiving One Another Freely?

No Christian who has been a victim of extremely unjust, detestable, or heinous treatment should feel forced to forgive, or pardon, a wrongdoer who is not repentant.?Psalm 139:21, 22

Blondie (who does not honor her parents).

I wonder if the other Slack children honor their JW parents?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,639618,00.html

http://www.nospank.net/n-i65.htm

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Parents who are hot-tempered or immoral, who are drunkards, or who bicker with each other?are they really worthy of honor? Yes, for the Bible condemns holding any parent "in derision." (Proverbs 30:17)

What a crock of satanic propoganda!

JW parents who are hot-tempered, immoral, drunkards, abusive, cruel, manipulative, violent and hateful caused the attempted suicide of two of my beloved daughters. The elders told my kids to be more respectful and obedient to these kinds of honorable parents to what end? Damn those sob's.

The WTBTS is evil.

Corvin

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

I love my parents, but am much healthier having no relationship with them. Is that evil? Is that ungodly? Oh well, guess it doesn't matter since I don't believe in god!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

that was one of the biggest problems i had when growing up. because of domestic violence, i didn't talk to my father, not even greet him (sort of disfellowshipped him). when talking about him with others i'd only refer to him as "the idiot", not "my dad". hell, was that elder shocked, when he found out i haven't been talking to my father in 10 years... lol. you know what they wanted to do, to improve the relationship? offer me a biblestudy conducted by elder most-conservative AND MY FATHER! of course i never accepted.

after moving out i was able to think a bit more objective on the matter. and all my fathers agressions can be explained with the social circumstances we lived in and him having diabetes without knowing it. but you wont try to justify that when you are a kid and beaten up every now and then...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit