World War 1 and 1914

by Schizm 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Schizm
    Schizm

How did it just so happen that a World War took place in the very year that Russell had attached so much importance to? I realize that he expected 1914 to see the end of the world's governments, and of course that didn't happen, but it still seems to be quite remarkable that this war happened that very year ... a war that would later be construed to be the fulfillment of Jesus' prediction in Matthew 24:7.

The explanation given on the e-watchman site is that Satan deliberately caused the war to happen so as to mislead Jehovah's Witnesses into thinking they had actually seen the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, in order to make them think that Jesus had returned invisably.

Any ideas?

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

..or maybe Satan deliberately caused it to give some credibility to a drunken womanizer in order to trick millions of people into joining a cult which would destroy their families, discourage them from higher education and expose the children to abuse and mental cruelty.

• Realist
    Realist

well if i remember this correctly, they predicted at least 5 times the end of the world inbetween 1880 and 1975. simple statistics tells you that they practically had to hit at least one major event that took place over this time period.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Even a broken clock is right once a day

• Schizm
    Schizm
    ..or maybe Satan deliberately caused it to give some credibility to a drunken womanizer in order to trick millions of people into joining a cult which would destroy their families, discourage them from higher education and expose the children to abuse and mental cruelty.

You mean just for the sake of hurting people? With no other goal in mind than THAT? If it really was caused by Satan, then surely he had something more up his sleeve than destroying families etc. What would Satan have to gain by doing that?

• Schizm
    Schizm
    well if i remember this correctly, they predicted at least 5 times the end of the world inbetween 1880 and 1975. simple statistics tells you that they practically had to hit at least one major event that took place over this time period.

But the end of the world never happened in spite of those several predictions. World War 1, happening in 1914, was significant enough to make them think that Matthew 24:7 was being fulfilled because "war" was part of the "sign". I think there is a difference with this and what you're talking about.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Even a broken clock is right once a day

It's also right 365 times a year, but it's not by coincidence that it is.

• Neo
    Neo

There were so many apocalyptic date-setting groups in America in late nineteen and early twentieth centuries that eventually one of them would have their predictions "quasi-fulfilled" in some year.

Neo

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Nostadamus got a couple things right too, what's you point?

If it really was caused by Satan, then surely he had something more up his sleeve than destroying families etc. What would Satan have to gain by doing that?

Sadist: someone who obtains pleasure from inflicting pain on others

• shotgun
    shotgun

Time and unforseen occurrance...not sure.

I have thought about what you say Schizm and history tells us that the events which set up WW1 were not sudden, certainly not caused by an angry Satan who is at War in Heaven with Jesus.

It had been building for some time and many attribute WW1 to three main things.

The rise of Nationalism, the building up of the Military and Aliances and finally the Assasination of Archduke Ferdinand.

http://members.fortunecity.se/mikaelxii/ww1/causes.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit