gastric by pass surgery

by buffalosrfree 34 Replies latest jw friends

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

a very close family member. had her stomach done 11 months ago. and she's in her 60's. she has lose over 100 pounds. and looks great. i would say by next summer. she will reach her goal weight. i'm very happy for her. john

• Mary
    Mary
    Not sure I quite understand the relevance. Are you saying your ghrelin levels are abnormally high?

I don't know as I've never had mine tested, but all I know is that before my surgery I was hungry all the time. I know that I also ate when I was stressed, but also because I was physically hungry. The studies done so far show that at least for some people, the second you restrict your food intake, your ghrelin levels increase, sending stronger messages to your brain to eat. I especially found the article in the New England Journal of Medicine interesting, as it was done in controlled studies.

Since I did not have anything bypassed when I had my weight loss surgery, I still get hungry, but nothing compared to what I used to get, plus it (obviously) takes alot less to fill me up now. Now I eat about 1/5 of what I used to eat. That, combined with the 4-5 times per week that I exercise has helped me shed 31 lbs. in just over 2 months. This is slower than most people who have WLS, as most of them have the bypass, but I'm happy with what I got done.

• Mary
    Mary
    If so, then I must be misunderstanding the point of this surgery. Does it have any effect other than making it physically impossible to overeat?

That's the main effect, but there are certainly many benefits from this. WLS can cure high blood pressure, Type II diabetes, arthritis, sleep apnea, it can cut the risks of heart attacks, certain kinds of cancer and to a great degree: depression. Although you physically can't eat like you used to, psychologically, the desire for food can still be there and that can be very hard to overcome. You've lost your best friend (even though it was killing you) and you have to try and find something to replace it.

The surgery is a tool, and it's not the easy ride that many think.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The surgery is a tool, and it's not the easy ride that many think.

That's what I was thinking. If the desire to eat is as strong in some people as you say, then won't shrinking or bypassing the stomach leave them with the same cravings but no ability to satisfy them?

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn

xandria: that was such a magnificent post! as someone who has never had weight issues, but married a man who does, i know first-hand how most people don't realize the issues that face people who are obese and have very little, if any, control over that....despite popular belief

If the desire to eat is as strong in some people as you say, then won't shrinking or bypassing the stomach leave them with the same cravings but no ability to satisfy them?

derek: from the people that i have spoken to who have had the surgery, the one thing that doctor's warn them about most is anorexia...apparently most people have little or none of the food cravings that they once had...at least for things like sugar and flour....

however, you do bring up a valid point....if somebody has issues with food addiction, those need to be addessed before any type of surgery can be beneficial...and most doctor's who perform this surgery have their patients go through psychological exams before performing the surgery...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit