gastric by pass surgery

by buffalosrfree 34 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

My aunty had this surgery done and it went very well.

Her first consiltation did not go well though.She had to loose some weight first, and quit smoking as they worried about her not waking up with the sleeping gas.Imagine how strange that sounded when she was told, loose wieght to have a weight loss surgery...

She is now down 125lbs and is ready now for a tummy tuck as there is alot of skin hanging and no excerises will ever get rid of it.Also, that is a seperate operation and here in Canada, it is not covered as part of the first operation or under her insurance so she has to come with the money herself for it to be done.

Good Luck...

• Mary
    Mary
    Also, that is a seperate operation and here in Canada, it is not covered as part of the first operation or under her insurance so she has to come with the money herself for it to be done.

Actually, if the loose skin is causing her health problems (like a rash if it's rubbing against other skin), OHIP will in fact, pay for her to have a tummy tuck, but it's got to be a "medical" reason, not just because it's "loose skin". She may want to talk to her doctor or a plastic surgeon to see about meeting the criteria for OHIP to pay for it. My girlfriend's mother had a tummy tuck done about 4 years ago after having WLS, and because it was causing a rash, OHIP paid for it.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Princess,

Do you still talk to LB? I really miss that guy. If you do see him, will you tell him I said hello? Maybe he'll PM me sometime?

Andi

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I saw a documentary where a doctor was assessing a 380 lb. woman's suitability for this kind of surgery, and he asked her if she was willing to risk her life to lose weight. Tearfully, she replied that she was. I found this incredible considering she wasn't willing to get off the couch to lose weight.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

now now derek dont be judgemental. i've known a lot of overweight people who have spent many hours of excersising, dieting, working harder than most will ever work trying to get their weight under control. its not a will power issue..its genetics.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    now now derek dont be judgemental. i've known a lot of overweight people who have spent many hours of excersising, dieting, working harder than most will ever work trying to get their weight under control. its not a will power issue..its genetics.

I'm not being judgmental at all. I genuinely don't understand the mentality of somebody who would prefer to have most of their stomach removed rather than learning to eat less and exercise more. Genetics can certainly explain a tendency to retain more weight, but any such tendency is limited by the laws of physics. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Doing this may require more will power for some people than others but blaming genetics is just a cop-out.

• Mary
    Mary
    I genuinely don't understand the mentality of somebody who would prefer to have most of their stomach removed rather than learning to eat less and exercise more.

Well obviously you've never had a weight problem or you wouldn't make a statement like that. What if I said: I don't understand why anyone would smoke when they know they're killing themselves, when it's a simple matter of just putting the cigarettes down; or I don't understand why anyone would be an alcoholic when they could just learn to put the bottle down after one drink; or I don't understand the mentality of someone who would have a drug problem rather than learn to live without them. We recognize all these things as an addicition, but not food.

Our brains get addicted to various things: cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and yes food. I ate when I was stressed but also because I was genuinely hungry all the time. Our entire society is geared to us being not very physically active as most of us have jobs that require brain power, not physical power. So we're not burning off the calories like we did a hundred years ago and you're mentally exhausted at the end of the day and therefore you don't get much physical work. Plus most foods we eat have far more calories in them than what our body needs. Plus the second you start to diet, your metabolism slows right down as your body desperately tries to re-set it's "set point". Our metabolism also slows down as we age as well. When you're really overweight, you more than likely have higher insulin levels, even if you're not diabetic. This lovely insulin stubbornly holds onto the fat even when we diet and exercise----it doesn't want to let it go, PLUS it can make you ravously hungry. There's also another hormone they've discovered called "ghrelin" which sends signals to the brain telling you to eat, eat, eat. And guess what? When you try to diet, the body produces MORE of the ghrelin, sending stronger messages to the brain. When you combine powerful messages like this, coupled with the metobolic slow-down when you try to lose weight, and then throw all the advertisements for fast foods that we see on TV, the grocery store and everywhere else under the sun, it gives a better idea as to why so many of us have a weight problem, and why we'll resort to something like weightloss surgery in order to lose weight.

After I came back to work after my weight loss surgery, one of the girls in the office next to me came upstairs with a great big piece of chocolate cake (it was someone's birthday in the office). I felt an overwhelming urge for a piece of the cake, just like a person addicted to cocaine would feel, if they saw someone snorting some powder. I closed my office door and cried and thought "oh my god, what have I done? I really want a piece of cake!" About 10 minutes later, she came over to me moaning "oooooh, I shouldn't have eaten that!" I felt much better and I thought "this is exactly why I had the surgery done. I had to put myself in a situation where I physically could not eat stuff like that anymore."

The head of Eating Disorders at Harvard University made a really good point in the National Geographic a few months ago on the subject. She said "trying to treat an obese person in our society is like trying to treat an alcoholic in a town where there's a bar every 10 feet. Unhealthy food is cheap, heavily promoted and is easy to get. Nutritious food is expensive, not promoted and difficult to get."

Believe me, being obese also puts a huge negative emotional impact on you as well. You have self-disgust, you're angry with yourself because you can't seem to lose weight and you're in such bad shape at first that exercise isn't even an option. If weight loss surgery forces you to eat less and if that's the only way you can do it, I say go for it. It's certainly helped me and I'm very glad I had it done.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I'm not being judgmental at all. I genuinely don't understand the mentality of somebody who would prefer to have most of their stomach removed rather than learning to eat less and exercise more. Genetics can certainly explain a tendency to retain more weight, but any such tendency is limited by the laws of physics. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Doing this may require more will power for some people than others but blaming genetics is just a cop-out.

Derek, have you ever had an eating disorder? Not to be obtuse, but it's really not that simple. For some of us, everyday eating can be difficult...eating disorders explain that, but unless you've experienced it, it's hard to understand. Just try to be a little compassionate about it. It's very painful for those who suffer from it.

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn
    I genuinely don't understand the mentality of somebody who would prefer to have most of their stomach removed rather than learning to eat less and exercise more. Genetics can certainly explain a tendency to retain more weight, but any such tendency is limited by the laws of physics. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Doing this may require more will power for some people than others but blaming genetics is just a cop-out.

it's not a matter of just getting up and exercising....my husband is hoping to have the gastric bypass surgery next year...he has been heavy his entire life, as are his parents...he has been on every diet and exercise program known to mankind, and manages to lose a bit of weight, but then he stops losing and actually starts gaining, regardless of how much exercise he does, or cutting sugar and flour (two of the most addictive substances around) out of his diet....for some people, the gastric bypass procedure is the only way they have left to get a jump start on losing weight...it is definately NOT a solution, merely a tool to help those that need it....

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Doing this may require more will power for some people than others but blaming genetics is just a cop-out.

I dont think blaming genetics is a cop out. The women on my side of the family are thin.. Well my cousins because of their dad ended up a bit on the heavy side. It didnt matter how much they exercised or what diet they were on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit