WT CD to be released annually

by ezekiel3 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hey, this is like a Price Is Right game! Since the WTS uses all volunteers, labor times cannot be calculated into the production of this stuff. Let's give them one cent for electricity. I'll try to guess the actual retail price, since nothing is taxed and there is no need for profit. Also, the raw materials are purchased in bulk which makes them even cheaper

a deluxe, gold-edged Bible can easily cost $20 or moreActual Retail Price: $2.54

a reference book may be $40 and up,
    Actual Retail Price: $1.27

a full-color wall calendar may sell for at least $5
    Actual Retail Price: $0.21

an encyclopedia on CD-ROM costs from $50 to $100 or higherActual Retail Price: $0.72

music compact discs commonly cost to $20,
    Actual Retail Price: $0.72

and some videos often sold for much more
    Actual Retail Price: $1.23

A failure to contribute enough to cover costs will ultimately restrict what the organization may otherwise be able to accomplish in furthering the worldwide work.

What I've quoted above most likely would cover the costs. Obviously, there is a huge profit to be made if publishers donate what the society suggests.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Good call, Neo, I was just about to post about that.

an encyclopedia on CD-ROM costs from $50 to $100 or higher

When I first read that and heard it from the platform, I think somewhere deep inside my brain I blew a couple circuits. That's just an out-and-out attempt to milk the flock. CDs cost $0.25 or less to duplicate in mass. Even at tiny volumes (I duped 250 a couple years ago), you can get them, with printed booklets, shrink-wrapped, for about $2 a piece.

Consider this: Commercial CD-ROMs cost $50 to $100 - but they're produced by analysts and programmers easily costing $50/hour or more, and even at that, software has 90% profit margins. If the Society can talk people into donating $50 for something that has almost no physical manufacturing costs, and which was written by a few volunteers, we're talking about some pretty incredible profit margins.

SNG

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Releasing CDs every year should make it easier for the society to sanitize their past by making edits in the material where needed. People will discard older copies in favor of the new ones, and probably start disposing of old literature and bound volumes. How convenient, as well as cost effective.

Walter

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Releasing CDs every year should make it easier for the society to sanitize their past by making edits in the material where needed. People will discard older copies in favor of the new ones, and probably start disposing of old literature and bound volumes. How convenient, as well as cost effective.

Exactly my thoughts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit