Why did Jehovah act more in ancient times than he does now?

by truthseeker 30 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin
    Why did Jehovah act more in ancient times than he does now?

Basically because he is getting old.

When he was younger and full of pep,, in the OT,, he was always beating up other nation's gods,,he got so good at it his people felt he was the god of all gods,, so they made him their king. In the NT you can clearly see signs of aging,,he sends his son because he can't make it to earth. His son get killed and he's forgiving everybody(definately getting to be an old softy) not the same old vengeful Jehovah as in his younger days.

So my guess is He's really tired and just don't have the energy to do all those miracles anymore.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Frankie,

In the Canaanite pantheon the two main figures were: an old, distant, inactive supreme god (El / Elyôn) and a young, present, active one (Baal / Yhwh). The fusion of the two deities into the one God of monotheism gave prominence to the older character. And the longing for a "young god" might explain many things in the Jesus story (cf. Margaret Barker's The Great Angel, to which I was referring earlier on another thread).

• JT
    JT

Basically because he is getting old.

When he was younger and full of pep,, in the OT,, he was always beating up other nation's gods,,he got so good at it his people felt he was the god of all gods,, so they made him their king. In the NT you can clearly see signs of aging,,he sends his son because he can't make it to earth. His son get killed and he's forgiving everybody(definately getting to be an old softy) not the same old vengeful Jehovah as in his younger days.

So my guess is He's really tired and just don't have the energy to do all those miracles anymoreBasically because he is getting old.

So my guess is He's really tired and just don't have the energy to do all those miracles anymore

########

See you are a "FOOL"- smile

hey I love this post, hey man i will have to save this for my archive, haven't seen it put this well in a long time

I love it thanks again--smile

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Perhaps, since the information highway wasn't in existence in the days that "Jehovah" was acting in behalf of certain ppls, they had their heads further up their butts than we do now.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

This god thing with the isrealites has to be morphing all the time just like man's consiousness changes over time. Interesting idea you bring up,,I'm sure it is closer to truth than my little 1/2 true pun.

JT,

Thanks man,,

• Princess
    Princess
    But where did you get that idea of "God," or "Creator," in the first place?

I was raised a dub. I'm pretty sure that's where I learned about a God. It's also where I learned about the bible. Since leaving, I've determined that there is no proof that the bible really is the inspired word of God. I've yet to see proof that there is no God at all.

I'm very comfortable believing in a god but not in the bible. I think all religions worship god or gods but put a different spin on his name or gender and holy book(s).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I've determined that there is no proof that the bible really is the inspired word of God. I've yet to see proof that there is no God at all.

Princess,

Just notice you don't apply the same standards to the Bible and God.

1. You reject the Bible for the lack of positive proof for it.

2. But you accept God for the lack of negative proof against it (him, or her).

On standard 1, I would reject the belief in extra-terrestrial life. On standard 2 I would accept the very same belief.

But I don't mean to criticise your beliefs at all. We all believe what we choose to believe (at least I choose to believe we do )

• Princess
    Princess
    1. You reject the Bible for the lack of positive proof for it.

2. But you accept God for the lack of negative proof against it (him, or her).

But isn't that how we accept or reject ideas? I could just as easily say there is too much negative proof against the bible so therefore I reject that it is the inspired word of God.

Also, just seeing the world around me and the birth of my children gives me positive proof of God's existance.

Does that make sense to you? Because it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't feel like you are criticising my beliefs BTW. Just trying to figure it all out...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Princess,

I think Atheists or Buddhists (for instance) share the same amazement and appreciation for life, the world or their children.

Just they don't build this feeling into a "proof" about "God", because "God" is no part of their cultural and imaginary structure. Your cultural connection to the monotheistic inheritance (to which the Bible is historically central) makes the difference imo.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

there might have been a lot more activity in the solar system back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit