"Dad blames church for death of teen" (Calgary Herald)

by Quotes 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quotes
    Quotes

Dad blames church for death of teen

Jehovah's Witneses try to have lawsuit thrown out

Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald

A half-dozen protesters picketed in front of Court of Queen's Bench on Tuesday to support a Calgary man who has sued the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Canada and others for being responsible for his daughter's death. Inside the court, a hearing by the society, Edmonton's Cross Cancer Institute, two doctors and several Jehovah's Witnesses to have Lawrence Hughes' $1-million statement of claim quashed was eventually adjourned.
    Lawyers will be back in court today to set a new date for the hearing.

"I believe the evidence I have will prove there was a conspiracy that brought about the death of my daughter," Hughes said outside court.

"Bethany was given medical treatment for a disease she did not have. I believe evidence will prove criminal negligence."
    Bethany Hughes, 17, died Sept. 5, 2002, less than six months after she underwent a series of blood transfusions against her wishes after Alberta Children's Services took custody of her when she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

Hughes also accused the Watch Tower Society of protecting pedophiles in its fellowship; forcing its members to work in "slavery," without being paid, then turned onto the streets when old; and giving out bad medical advice to its members. In particular, Hughes, once a Jehovah's Witness who split from the religion and his family over the medical beliefs, cited the group refusing vaccinations, organ transplants and blood transfusions for members, that has resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of adults and children in the past 100 years.

Allan Ludkiewicz, the Winnipeg lawyer for the Watch Tower Society fighting Hughes' lawsuit, could not be reached Tuesday for comment. But after a similar protest last week at the society's Canadian headquarters for Jehovah's Witnesses in Georgetown, Ont., a spokesman denied Hughes' blanket claims.

Mark Ruge, director of public relations for the organization, said they had not yet been served with the lawsuit filed in August. He told reporters that Hughes "can say whatever he wants," but there was no truth to the claims. "We're not that kind of people," he added, calling the claims "outrageous." Hughes said he now has his daughter's medical records to prove his case. "I believe the Watch Tower Society was afraid because Bethany's health was improving and she may be forced to be given blood transfusions, so that's why they hid her away for the last two months," said the father. "It makes me sick to think Bethany could be alive today if they had given her proper medical treatment."

• kls
    kls

He told reporters that Hughes "can say whatever he wants," but there was no truth to the claims. "We're not that kind of people," he added, calling the claims "outrageous." Hughes said he now has his daughter's medical records to prove his case.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

right mr. hughes can say what ever he wants. and you can call him a liar. but when he comes into court with wt reprint.showing the wt forbid vaccations, transplants, etc who will be the liar.. these wt lawyers should know there wt history before they make fool of them selves in court. but i guess a zombie is a zombie. john

• willyloman
    willyloman

My sympathy for Mr. Hughes knows no bounds, but the news account contains some things that damage the "cause.":

accused the Watch Tower Society of ...forcing its members to work in "slavery," without being paid, then turned onto the streets when old; and ... refusing vaccinations, organ transplants and blood transfusions for members that has resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands ... in the past 100 years.

... a spokesman denied Hughes' blanket claims.

And they are "blanket" claims. While half of them are easily proved by presenting the WTS' own literature, how does he intend to "prove" "forcing its members to work in slavery...?" In fact, they are volunteers. "...turned out on the streets when old..." is a bit of a stretch without examples, and "deaths of tens of thousands..." is hyperbole unless you have a list of names.

Thus, when the JW spokesman denied "blanket claims" he appears (I said appears) to have the high moral ground. The courts deal in facts and demand proof. If you're going to fight this fight, you have to be on solid ground. If not, you lose, and a "loss" sets the "movement" back. Not only that, but dubs who read this stuff will point out the flaws and use that as an excuse to dismiss the rest.

I don't want to be critical, but this kind of overkill has to be moderated, at least when making public pronouncements, before the media and the masses will really listen.

• glitter
    glitter

Do Mr Hughes and his solicitors have actual hard-copies of the old WT/Awake/etc mags with all the old nonsense in about vaccinations, etc?

(Possibly a stupid question)

If so I'd love to hear how the WT lawyer explains away New Light to a judge.

• Quotes
    Quotes

====================
    If so I'd love to hear how the WT lawyer explains away New Light to a judge
    ======================

I saw the Judge at the Vickie Boer trial amazed, dazed, and confused, that (DF'd) Frank Motrill could not communicate with his own grown daughter. She just couldn't seem to get her head around the concept, at least at first.

~Quotes, of the "Barn Dance" class

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Hey Quotes!!

What do you expect? Sarah is still hoping that she will return to the good graces of the Watchtower legal dept!

She at one time was held in esteem until her father left the Borg and actually implicated the Borg in misdealings. Gawd forbid she support her own father.... GAG

Frank Mott-Trille and I never saw eye to eye but his stance on the Boer abuse issue impressed me.

There was a lot that the judge in the Boer trial just didn't get but I admire her for her efforts in trying to give Vicki every opportunity despite Vicki having such a lousy attorney (...who was recommended by Frank)

Uzzah

PS - looking forward to the beers and debauchery tomorrow

• Quotes
    Quotes

Hey Uzzah, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night too! We can start by studying our Watchtower, and then listen to Kingdom Melodies on cassette... or not! ;)

Hey, if you can bring those "Watchtower Talk Outlines" so I can make copies, that would be GREAT!

~Quotes, of the "debauched" class

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

There was a lot that the judge in the Boer trial just didn't get but I admire her for her efforts in trying to give Vicki every opportunity despite Vicki having such a lousy attorney (...who was recommended by Frank)
    I think the rational for Frank recommending Charles Mark is becuase Mark had experience at the Appeal court level which would have been important in this case since it would have been appealed had the WT losssed.

I have always been curious about this whole connection though because Sarah gave testimony (under oath) in front of a Legal Investigation that, in her opinion, her father saved Glen Howe and Watchtower Legal's ass (I am paraphrasing) with the Shelburne sex abuse scandal. I don't recall her elaborating on that point.

• mouthy
    mouthy

The funny thing in the court at Vickie's trail. I sat next to Frank... I was speaking to him....Then after a little while he asked "Are you DF" ? I said "Yes" He got up & left ..Wouldnt acknowledge me in the hall after???? I think HE is trying to get back in...ANYONE????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit