WHAT DO YOU BASE YOUR PERSONAL OPINION ON?

by Terry 31 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Justuman :Upon facts and logic

That's what I need to eventually change my opinion ...

• Terry
    Terry

Funny how we always seem to rely on confidence in our opinion without questioning the failure ratio.

For example: How many times are we correct vs how many times we are wrong.

If there is not better than 50/50 success it should become evident our basic methodology is flawed.

Changing our methodology requires a complete overhaul in our basic suppositions and definitions.

How many of us are up to THAT task?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Terry,

I don't think most people are particularly introspective or care about making fully informed decisions. People don't care about having a rigorous methodology to define decisions or opinions. I think most people would rather think about sports, pop culture, what their eating for their next meal, and sex.

I personally look at facts, my experiences, what I've read or seen, my values and emotions where appropriate. I also question assumptions. That's as far as I go. After working at a mentally demanding job and then coming home to help the kiddo with homework, I'm too tired to do much more. But my failure ratio is very low, because I overhauled my definition of failure.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

What do you base your opinions on? Mostly on seat of my pants. Ya see......I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants woman. Most of the time, logic, reason and facts surprisingly back my opines up.

Do you expect people to respect your opinion? Yes, unless there are too many holes in my opinion. In which case, I'd just be showing my *ss and wouldn't deserve respect.

Who do you respect for their opinions? Everyone. Even *ssholes. They have a right to their opinions, too, dontcha think?

• luna2
    luna2

(((((((Frannie)))))))

Re topic:

a) What I read, discussing with friends, gut feeling

b) I expect them to respect me enough not to trash my opinions and not to be overly harsh or agrumentative in the presentation of their own viewpoints...at least initially. They don't have to think that anything and everything that I say is gold or something.

c) I try to show some respect for other people's opinions. It becomes hard with things I've personally rejected, though (like WTS misinformation). At the very least I try to follow b above...not to say I'm always successful, but that's the goal.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

My opinions are based on what suits me.

What suits me is what the little person inside tells me is the right thing to do.

• Forscher
    Forscher

As a former member of the company I think its rather obvious what most of my opinions were based on.
    I am now changing that. The person who stated "My opinons are mostly based on personal observation, personal experince, research both historical and in the present." pretty much sums it up as far as I am concerned. I like to follow the evidence though I am aware that one can't be right all the time, even when careful.
    As far as I am concerned the apellation "idiot" belongs not so much to those who ask there opinion be respected as those little minds who somehow think that name-calling and insult belongs in civilised discourse. I have no objection to one being asked to defend their opinion as long as it is done respectfully. I also have no problem with one having the flaws in one's opinion pointed out. That is how mature people grow.
    Forscher

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Probably like the majority here, I learned the hard way to " believe nothing you hear - and only about half of what you see!

I form my opinions on personal observation and personal experience:

- personal experience that has been largely learned at the University of Hard Knocks - after having first gained a Diploma in Idiocy at the Botchtower University's Damnfool Campus.

Jack.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Just a small and utterly pedantic observation. There is no need for the word 'personal' in personal observation, personal experience or personal opinion. Really, what other observations, experiences and opinions can an individual have.

God I'm a nit-picker sometimes!

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I can nit pick with the best (or the worst) of them when I get into s#it-stirring mode!

For most of the 28 years that I was under the spell of the borg, my opinions / observations / experiences were NOT my own - but those of 12 or so old farts in Brooklyn. Okay - I thought such opinions / observations / experiences were my own - but then, we all know what thought did, too!

Sorry, Nicolaou, I guess what I am trying to say is that for all too long, my "personal" opinion was not mine at all - but rather the one based on the observations and experiences of others.

(Maybe just as well we live in the 21st Century, where such differences are not settled by swords or pistols at daybreak?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit