WHAT DO YOU BASE YOUR PERSONAL OPINION ON?

by Terry 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Pole
    Pole

I base my personal opinion on transcendental meditation, yoga exercises and paranormal perception.

I strongly demand that the opinions and conclusions I arrive at by means of those techniques be highly respected.

I personally hate people who refuse to take into consideration my opinions or refute them without first paying proper lip service. Equally annoying are those who don't bother to use the proper tone of voice or facial expressions when they are saying they disagree.

I've even mastered a whole array of rhetorical tricks which allow me to intimidate such people. It makes me feel better when I'm being shown to be an idiot.

Pole of the remember-to-show-how-much-you-respect-my-opinions-when-you-disagree class

• justhuman
    justhuman

Upon facts and logic

• Undecided
    Undecided

I developed so many opinions as a JW that were wrong, so now I don't know if opinions are worth developing or can be trusted. I'm just sort of floating along now, wondering if there is any truth we can depend on.

Ken P.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake
    I developed so many opinions as a JW that were wrong, so now I don't know if opinions are worth developing or can be trusted. I'm just sort of floating along now, wondering if there is any truth we can depend on.

I feel the same way sometimes, Ken.

Everytime my opinion changes on new information that I've learned, then I get another piece of information that completely disproves that opinion. It makes you feel like it's almost not worth it to form opinions because it's too frustrating and confusing. I try to see both sides of everything, but I think that's what gets me into trouble.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

What I don't respect is someone who holds a strong opinion and can't defend it - if needed. The answer of "I don't know - I just do" doesn't seem quite enough. Even if I don't agree with the reason, if YOU have a reason that is good enough. Just be able to articulate it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I mainly base my opinion on my personal liking/acceptance, and sometimes on my previous experience with the subject matter.

I'm certainly open to hear other people's opinions; can't say that I'll respect it, though.

DY

• FairMind
    FairMind

Only other people have personal opinions. Everything I believe is a proven fact (at least that's my personal opinion) or it's what my wife says.

FM

• Princess
    Princess

purely on emotions

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

before to read your answers here's mine :

What do you base your opinions on?

Everything related on the subject that I know (and do remember) or feel about ...

Do you expect people to respect your opinion?

Not really ... (since I'm a kid nobody really cares ... So ...)

Who do you respect for their opinions?

It depends (not always the same people in fact ...) but in my constant to only name one : ALANF and ... and ... and ... and ... most of the time because of they're capacity do be objective on a subject and don't worry too much about being witty when I times talk straight ...

• Corvin
    Corvin

I feel the same way sometimes, Ken.

Everytime my opinion changes on new information that I've learned, then I get another piece of information that completely disproves that opinion. It makes you feel like it's almost not worth it to form opinions because it's too frustrating and confusing. I try to see both sides of everything, but I think that's what gets me into trouble.

I suppose I am beginning to base most of my opinions and facts, at least, more than before. For me, it is the only reliable basis on which to form perspective and keep touching some symblance of reality. It keeps me a little more grounded. Opinions based on fact, no matter who they come from, can and should be respected.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit