Is God a Flip-Flopper?

by Amazing1914 27 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

Amazing there you are ! I just wanted to pop in here and say" HI "and hope you are staying well.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    How can we hold Big "J" responsible for the way men have shamefully altered the Bible

Gee, isn't the almighty of the universe capable of protecting his own words from alteration? I thought that's why the monks painstakingly counted every letter - to make sure no changes crept in.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Is there not a passage in the bible about stoning disobedient children to death?

How do people today view this?

How about men serving in the temple could not have sex for a certain amount of days before serving? Should not elders follow this principle?

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen the WTS try to explain Exodus 34:7 and Ezekiel 18:20. Attributing Exodus as applying to Israel as a nation and Ezekiel as individual Israelites, but I can't find one for that pairing.

As I understand it, Deuteronomy actually means "second law," a repeating of what was in Exodus. But this seems to be a big contradtion.

Also, in view of Deuteronomy, I wondered why the first son of David and Bathsheba was allowed to die but their second son, Solomon, was given the kingship.

Rbi8 2 Samuel 12:15-18 ***

And Jehovah proceeded to deal a blow to the child that the wife of U·ri´ah had borne to David so that it took sick. 16 And David began to seek the [true] God in behalf of the boy, and David went on a strict fast and came in and spent the night and lay down on the earth. 17 So the older men of his house stood up over him to raise him up from the earth, but he did not consent and did not take bread in company with them. 18 And it came about on the seventh day that the child gradually died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child had died; for they said: "Look! While the child continued alive we did speak to him, and he did not listen to our voice; so how can we say to him, ?The child has died?? Then he will certainly do something bad."

Hmmm

Blondie

• bebu
    bebu
    Also, in view of Deuteronomy, I wondered why the first son of David and Bathsheba was allowed to die but their second son, Solomon, was given the kingship.

'Hmmm' is right, Blondie. But these are more intriguing puzzles, aren't they? (I like chewing on them, anyway!

Gumbbbbby,

Repreatttt yourselfff. Itt''s yourr privileggee.

bebu

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    I wondered why the first son of David and Bathsheba was allowed to die but their second son, Solomon, was given the kingship.

Well, you see, the first son was conceived as a result of fornication, whereas by the time the second son was conceived, Dave & Bathy had received a scriptural divorce from the elders and been reinstated.

• blondie
    blondie

But you see that first son died for the sins of his father, David. Actually, David should have died for his own sins of murder and adultery.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Gumby and Runningman,

Actually, Amazing, I side most with what Frankiespeaken said:

more likely just a different group of persons who wrote with a different point of view that they attribute to God.

Jst2laws

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

You see if david sinned then why was HE NOT PUNISHED. By having the child die, the child and his wife were punished!

what a piece of crock!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Even if you add 2 Kings 14:6 (direct quotation) to the right column of Gumby's chart, there are dozens of texts that could be added to the left column (including the slaughter of whole populations just because they were on the wrong side). IOW the "individual responsibility" view (Deuteronomy 24:16) which is so obvious to us in Christian or post-Christian culture was definitely a minority view in the OT. The centralization of worship in the temple of Jerusalem which is the real core of Deuteronomy had far more influence on the OT texts than this one. One could wonder how Deuteronomistic it really is, since it did not influence Deuteronomistic history: the fall of Jerusalem occurs because of Manasseh's sins (2Kings 23:26; 24:23f), despite the Deuteronomistic reform of Josiah...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit