Is God a Flip-Flopper?

by Amazing1914 27 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Let's not forget the most important example of them all - me. Well, and you, too.

You see, God has sentenced us all to death because our great, great, great, great, grandfather and mother ate some fruit that was off limits.

Seems fair to me.

• ros
    ros

Ask me at the conference :-)

~Ros

• gumby
    gumby
    Ask me at the conference :-)

I doubt the conference will do any good to answer the questions Roz, bible scholars have been arguing over these texts for 100's of years, and still can't agree on anything for sure.

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

God is Flipper?

Is God a Flip-Flopper?

Oh. Never mind.

• gumby
    gumby

He ain't a fish....he's a bird!

More Flopper Photos...

Flopper checking out the bird
    houses on Thea's desk.
    Flopper inspects the latest batch of volunteer photos.
    Here's Flopper during his molt.
  • justhuman
    justhuman

That is a nice thought. In Numbers chapeter 30 God orders to kill ALL male and not virgins and keep the virgins for the Israel warriors. The God of Israel seems a very HARD and crew God

• toreador
    toreador

Excellent questions. I have pondered these several times and asked several people with no good answers.

• SAHS
    SAHS

2 Jehovah is my crag and my stronghold and the Provider of escape for me.

My God is my rock. I shall take refuge in him,

My shield and my horn of salvation, my secure height.

?Psalm 18:2

7 Jehovah is good, a stronghold in the day of distress.

?Nahum 1:7

It would appear from the above two verses that God is a rather kind-hearted refuge for people to turn to.

However, as an example of his specific dealings, take a look at this excerpt from the Mosaic Law:

5 "?Now in case YOU should sacrifice a communion sacrifice to Jehovah, YOU should sacrifice it to gain approval for yourselves. 6 On the day of YOUR sacrifice and directly the next day it should be eaten, but what is left over till the third day should be burned in the fire. 7 If, though, it should at all be eaten on the third day, it is a foul thing. It will not be accepted with approval. 8 And the one eating it will answer for his error, because he has profaned a holy thing of Jehovah; and that soul must be cut off from his people.

?Leviticus 19:5-8

My point: Jehovah supposedly speaks of himself as being rather benevolent and easy-going in many scriptures, especially the poetic ones in the Old Testament, yet in certain specific situations?such as the above excerpt from the Mosaic Law where he would actually have someone executed simply for eating his communion sacrifice on the third day?he seems more of what we would today call a tyrannical asshole.

Also, of course, when you compare the actions of the great Jewish warrior God Jehovah in the bloody OT to the way he is supposedly represented by the more reasonable teachings of Jesus Christ in the NT, you wonder if the God of the OT and NT is really the same divine character.

How do you make the two (OT/NT) fit? How do you reconcile a God who foments the bloodiest R-rated savagery towards any towns and villages that aren?t completely thrilled with the idea of being invaded and taken over by the Israelite armies?indeed, how to you reconcile that kind of God with the man Jesus Christ who balked at unreasonable adherence to Jewish law and proceeded to heal a man?s hand on the Sabbath? Hmmm. Will the real God please stand up.

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit