To Blue Dot or Not to Blue Dot. That is the question ....

by Oubliette 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Blondie: The WTS has always wanted uniformity when it comes to the signs

That could be shortened to just read: The WTS has always wanted uniformity.

There was some bit in the Walsh Trial transcript about that too.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

UNITY AT ALL COSTS

During the Scottish trial the directors of the Watchtower Society admitted ....

THE SCOTTISH TRIAL - 1954

The following testimony excerpts are from the Pursuer's Proof of Douglas Walsh vs The Right Honourable James Latham Clyde,MP, PC, as representing the Minister of Labour and National Service. Copies of the complete transcript or parts thereof may be obtained from the Scottish Records Office, H.M. General Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland. The numbers following the quotations show the transcript page on which the testimony is found.

HAYDEN C COVINGTON - Former Lawyer for the Watchtower Society

Q. Is it not vital to speak the truth on religious matters?
    A. It certainly is.

Q. You have promulgated - forgive the word - false prophecy?
    A. We have. I do not think we have promulgated false prophecy, there have been statements that were erroneous, that is the way I put it, and mistaken.

Q. It was promulgated as a matter which must be believed by all members of Jehovah's witnesses that the Lord's Second Coming took place in 1874?

(A short discussion of evidence given by Fred W Franz about 1874 takes place here.)

Q. That was the publication of false prophecy?
    A. That was the publication of a false prophecy, it was a false statement or an erroneous statement in fulfillment of a prophecy that was false or erroneous.

Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovah's Witnesses?
    A. Yes, because you must understand, we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.

Q. Back to the point now, a false prophecy was promulgated? A. I agree to that.

Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's witnesses?
    A. That is correct.

Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so, would he be disfellowshipped?
    A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erroneous, and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across, then there is a disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching ...... Our purpose is to have unity.

Q. Unity at all costs?
    A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation,the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.

Q. A unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?
    A. That is conceded to be true.

Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?
    A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?
    A. I think....

Q. Would you say yes or no?
    A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.

Q. Do you call that religion?
    A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you call that Christianity?
    A. I certainly do.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

They should be displayed in an appropriate, dignified way.

Um, yeah!

How 'bout like, "Not at all!"

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great point St George!

DO IT! I'll donate toward your costs if you "buy" or register it in England! Seriously!

then when you sue them for using "your" trademarked name, we can happily see you living your life in luxury!

Do it!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Damn! I just checked in Australia....it is taken (well, pending anyway)
  • bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

There used to be a time in JW history with a crisper view of commercial logos.

(. . . btw, the GB didn't endorse the logo with a scripture cited)

"Preparation" - 1933

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Cliff - it isn't the specification of the colour I find funny - I get it - they are establishing a brand. The funny thing is that they aren't using the colour on their own literature. The recent tracts, including one released last year (after this letter) have jw.org in white on a black background. Only exception was the tract advertising the web site.

I still find it hilarious that the trademark was rejected because it is owned by a janitorial company!

• brandnew
    brandnew

Blue calf, red calf , gold calf.

Blue square, ...............catch my drift?

• pontoon
    pontoon
    I pass a KH everyday very close to Watchtower Farms and the blue sign and JW.ORG is not displayed. On my old KH also close to Watchtower Farms it is displayed, in fact in two places, on the sign in front of the hall and also on the building itself
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I joked earlier about buying or applying for the trademark JW.ORG in any country where they witnesses don't already own it.

Seriously, what would the implications of doing this be??

I mean, if someone legitimately gained the rights over it, could they sue witnesses for using it??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit