To Blue Dot or Not to Blue Dot. That is the question ....

by Oubliette 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

So I've been noticing recently that some KHs in the area where I live (SoCal) are putting up the JW.ORG little blue dot, but others are not.

I would think this would be a mandatory directive from HQ.

Does anyone here have any intel on the matter?

• Magnum
    Magnum
    No intel. Seems to me, too, that it would be a mandatory directive. I've seen it on all the KHs in my area - some distance from you.
  • Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Here is a copy of the text of the letter sent out. While it isn't a directive, I think questions would be asked if no sign appeared. Incidently, it is quite funny that they are so exact about the colour of the sign when the tracts (including one released last summer) have it in black and white.

Christian Congregation
    of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    The Ridgeway, London, NW7 1RN Telephone: 020 8906 2211
    July 2, 2014
    TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS
    Re: Displaying the website logo on Assembly Halls and Kingdom Halls
    Dear Brothers:
    As shown on the attached photographs, the official logo for the jw.org website is now displayed
    prominently on our buildings in New York. You will be pleased to know that the Governing Body has
    approved displaying this logo on Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls. The signs should match the attached
    sample, which shows the official design, colour, and font. They should be displayed in an appropriate,
    dignified way. Please keep the following guidelines in mind:
    Quality. Be sure that the colour of the logo matches the colour that is now used in our publications.
    The colour has RGB values of R:74, G:109, and B:167. The hexadecimal colour is #4a6da7. The CMYK
    values are 85, 50, 5, and 5 per cent. The Pantone colour is 660. These colour specifications will result in a
    darker blue than is shown in the attached photographs. The text is MEPS Knoll Medium and displays as
    white knockout text.
    Complying with display regulations. Local authorities are responsible for the day-to-day operation
    of the advertisement control system. Some areas are under “special control,” where stricter requirements for
    the display of signs are enforced. Before installing a jw.org logo on a Kingdom Hall it is important to check
    with the local authority to see if an application for consent is required. Alternatively, a simple option may be
    to adjust the existing meeting times sign so that it includes a jw.org logo.
    Material. As shown on the attached images, large fabric banners, held taut by aluminium frames,
    have been installed on branch properties in the United States. Acrylic signs featuring the logo have been
    installed on one of the Britain branch properties. Smaller signs, which may be of a variety of materials
    depending on where they will be installed, may be more appropriate for Kingdom Hall use. Do not use lowquality
    materials, such as laminated card displayed in a window. Rather, a professionally produced image on
    materials designed specifically for commercial signage should be used.
    Additional Reminders. The logo is a registered trademark, although you should not include the
    “TM” trademark symbol when displaying the sign. Also, the logo should not be used indiscriminately on
    brothers’ personal items and no modifications should be made to the design.
    If a sign is to be installed at height, please ensure that safe working practices are followed and
    suitable access equipment is used by competent persons.
    The cost of purchasing and installing signs featuring the logo should be met from local congregation
    funds.
    If you have further queries about the design or installation of signs showing the official logo for the
    jw.org website, please contact the Regional Building Committee.
    We take this opportunity to express our warm Christian love and greetings.
    Your brothers,
    Attachments 2
    cc: Regional Building Committees

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    did they remember to tell jehovah about this ?
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So it IS trademarked now?

I thought they lost that right?? 

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    That old rugged dot!
  • St George of England
    St George of England

CLAIMING it's a registered TM and it actually BEING so is not the same thing.

But that would mean the WTS are telling porky pies......

I just had a look on the GOV site below and could not find it registered here in the UK.  So what's to stop anyone with £170 spare to register it and then prohibit the WTS from using it?

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-trademark

George

• millie210
    millie210
    This made me laugh so hard I have tears running down my face!

Wasanelder Once
    That old rugged dot!
  • blondie
    blondie

The WTS has always wanted uniformity when it comes to the signs: 

*** km 4/79 p. 4 Announcements ***

Is it appropriate to have a Kingdom Hall sign saying: “Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses”? So there will be uniformity, the Society encourages all to make their signs read: “Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses.” (See October 1978 Our Kingdom Service, page 3, paragraph 5.)

• cliff
    cliff

"... it is quite funny that they are so exact about the colour of the sign ... "

Actually, there is nothing unusual in that - quite normal in the world of printing / advertising.

For a real eye-opener, see the detailed specification of the coca-cola logo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit