Poll-----Did The Internet Help You Get Out Of The Organization??

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, now I remember this! Was this an approved Watchtower Society book?

• Corvin
    Corvin

Yes, definitely. The internet played such a big part and opened my eyes wider than ever. I was just about to get reinstated, too. So glad I didn't.

• patio34
    patio34

The net wasn't the first thing. But after my initial break, it was very helpful.

It seems to me that information is the greatest enemy of the mind-control of the WT or and group. The internet makes that information available to everyone.

Plus, the WTS hates that doubters can find other people in support groups on the net, I'm sure. People aren't isolated from like-minded ones as they were in the past. After all, before the internet, how could you get together with other enlightened, free ones? Very difficult, compared to today.

Pat

• blondie
    blondie
    Was this an approved Watchtower Society book?

Yes, it was, min, and designed to study with childrren....hahaha. It was an extrapolation of the theme in the Millions booklet.

jv chap. 16 p. 245 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***

A book entitled The Way to Paradise, written by W. E. Van Amburgh, followed in 1924. It was adapted to "intermediate students of the Bible." For a time it was used at the meetings for younger ones.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Not entirely - It was late eighties.There was a book I can't recall the title of it for the life of me. IIRC it was written by a Catholic priest or Bishop. It was in the library of the RC highschool I went to. Gr. 9 and already I was getting some concrete info to confirm my gut feeling about the WT. I got exposure to 587, 1925, and 1914. That really wet my appetite and so I checked out the municipal library, which then only had the book "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses". Other books like "Apocalypse Delayed" some years later just reconfirmed things for me.

Though I already was mentally "out", I didn't yet have any real disgust for the Org. All the well researched websites helped me to learn about the Swaggart/Voluntary donations connection and I got word of CoC. When I read that it made me really sick. The Internet was also a huge site of support and personal inner growth to me, through its DBs. To all those who've worked through the Internet, thank you. Though I was already in a sense off the blasted hamster wheel, it helped me realize how stinky the cage really was.

• pc
    pc

I had already faded years ago. What it did do was help me rid myself of guilt.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Not really, I left in the early 80s and I didn't find these sites until about five years ago, this one even less.

Very encouraging, though, and healing too.

Sherry

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Absolutely! Thanks, Simon for your site! It helped me to see that I was not alone, as the dubs would have had me believe. This site helped me to gain a foothold in my new life of choice. I was able to make friends on the outside of the borg and carry on in a healthy way. I gained a self-esteem that I would not have found on my own.

I think of my poor mom who did not have any support when she left ... and fifteen years later she crawled back into the borg, humiliated.

Thanks, Simon and everyone else on this site who had a part in helping me get strong and healthy, spiritually!!! I'll choose to be like my dad, who was disfellowshipped. Years later, when the elders asked him if he wanted to come back, he said, "No, I'm doing okay without that religion in my life."

Love,

ESTEE

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I read Crisis of conscience by Mr. Franz then looked at the web, Freeminds and Watchtower Observer which really just confirmed my suspicions of the WT society.

Stiil out and all the better for it.

• minimus
    minimus

The internet is the nail in the coffin!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit