Two faced lying hypocrites

by Uzzah 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Uzzah if you are serious about actually writing a letter of concern then I suggest you not act hastily. Take some time and effort to draw ideas, opinions and in fact testimonials relating to this specific complaint from others here. Your letter may simply be ignored since the Bar has already made the award. I don't think they are going to want to eat crow over this but if you have any hope of getting somewhere you will need to think this through carefully. While I do not know for certain, I wonder if it is possible that the nomination or at least an endorsement may have actually come from the past president of the Canadain Bar who was retained on an agency basis by WT for this specific blood issue case? If that is the case, I also wonder if your complaint may find it's way straight into the waste bin (they may not want want to be embarrassed).

If it is of any help to you, I have in my possession legal transcripts from a disciplinary review (by the Law Society of Upper Canada) where some lawyers who work for WT in Georgetown gave testimony under oath as to how they were compensated. I think the first thing you may need to do though is comfirm whether or not being on the WT expense account (for everything) disqualifies the pro bono status where the Canadian Bar awards are concerned.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

THis is great! Maybe we could send letters to local Canadian newspapers too? Wouldn't the newspapers love to document the relationship between the nominating attorney and the guy who received the award. I really think people need to know that he won an award for helping teenagers essentially kill themselves.

Oh - and did I read correctly - they called the WT a "religioius CHARITY" Barf!

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Bubbamar I don't think the media would particularly be interested in the relationship between the nominee and the recipient unless of course it is part of a larger story. For example let's suppose, for argument's sake, that the "all expenses paid (by WT)" litigation happens to be the case. Let's further suppose, for argumant's sake, that this type of arrangement would technically disqualify the recipient (this point would have to be confirmed). Now, if someone in Watchtower Legal Dept. nominated the recipient and in doing so presented it as pro bono, when in fact they were aware of a compensation arrangement, then you may have something of interest. All very hypothetical and certainly requires some confirmation of the facts. If it is a case of someone outside of WT who is not aware of a compensation arrangement then I don't see a story (at least where the relationship is concerned).

• sf
    sf

Big Tex, that is some good footwork there on the quote. However, it does not apply to hypocrites don't you know.

What happened to The Watchtower Creed: "We Are No Part Of THIS WORLD, This System Of Things"...??

This type of blatant hypocrisy burns me up. Just when I get myself to calm down and "live and let live", I see this crap!

So uzzah, please share your rough draft when you have got it ready to send.

sKally

• sf
    sf

Just wanted to post a refresher course for some who may like to know about this story :

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/bethany2.htm

Irreconcilable beliefs shattered family

Parents’ clash over transfusions led to divorce

Daryl Slade

Calgary Herald, Page E4

Sunday, November 16, 2003

A bitter clash between religious beliefs and medical treatment led to the ultimate breakup and bankruptcy of a Calgary family, a judge has concluded in the parents’ divorce action.

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Rosemary Nation said in her 29-page decision the catalyst for the breakup between Lawrence and Arliss Hughes and their two daughters was differing opinions on whether their oldest daughter, Bethany, should receive blood transfusions,

All members of the family had been Jehovah’s Witnesses for nearly 20 years and were opposed to receiving blood products when Bethany was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in February 2002.

Bethany, then 16, was made a ward of the province and given chemotherapy and more than three dozen blood transfusions against her will.

She died at age 17 in September 2002 — about seven months later.

Lawrence Hughes changed his position after discussions with doctors and fought to have his daughter receive what he believed was the best medical care.

“There is no question that Bethany’s illness led Mr. Hughes to seriously question and ultimately reject the teaching of his and his family’s religion, and that he paid a high price for that moral and religious decision, including the shunning by the Jehovah Witness congregation and alienation from his wife and children,” Nation wrote in her 29-page decision.

Calgary lawyer Vaughn Marshall, who assisted Lawrence Hughes in the proceedings, said the case is important because it makes it clear the real cause of the family breakup was the opposing religious positions taken by the parents in a life-and-death decision regarding their daughter.

“You’d think their religious beliefs would provide comfort to a husband and wife whose child was stricken with a life-threatening illness and guide the family through the crisis,” said Marshall.

“But, in this case, it not only failed to do that, it destroyed the family. First, Lawrence Hughes lost his daughter, then he lost his family.”

However, Shane Brady, lawyer for Bethany Hughes in the child welfare matter and Arliss Hughes in the divorce proceedings, said the judgment recognizes it was Bethany who made the decision about blood transfusions. ‘Arliss was concerned about (the child welfare judge’s comments) about Arliss’s parenting abilities and that she may have influenced Bethany,” said Brady. “Justice Nation was the only one who heard live evidence from anyone and she repeated a number of times that it was Bethany who made the decision and that Arliss was simply supporting Bethany in her decision”.

“Arliss is pleased that has been clarified and cleaned up” he said.

Brady also said Nation did recognize in a couple of passages it was the maturity of Bethany that was really the factor in the medical treatment decisions.

“Her view all the way along and the evidence led in court was that the family had problems even before Bethany got sick, and this is just one tragic, tragic result of the family’s circum stances,” said Brady.

Lawrence Hughes testified during the trial he incurred more than $200,000 in legal fees and paid $20,000 of it out of his own pocket, pushing him into bankruptcy.

Brady represented Bethany in her court battle, which included applying for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada about the rights of a 16-year-old to determine her own treatment.

“I do recognize that the religious views of the Jehovah Witness faith, as they were presented in court by the father and not contradicted in court by the mother, would lead members of the faith (which would include Mrs. Hughes and two daughters) to disagree with the position of Mr. Hughes in relation to blood transfusions and reject him because of those views,” wrote Nation.

She added, however, she did not believe either parent defending their religious belief as it relates to a matter as fundamental as the medical treatment of their child, could be considered misconduct under the Divorce Act.

[email protected]

© Copyright 2003 Calgary Herald

Previous story:
    Bethany's battle rages a year after her death -Parents fight for custody of little sister Bethany made headlines in Canada after refusing to undergo blood transfusions and died of acute myeloid leukemia. Bethany's father claims the Watchtower Society and his wife played a major role in her death. He is now fighting for sole custody of his youngest daughter who lives with her mother and is also a Jehovah's Witness. (added 07/26/2003)

Judge orders teen continue transfusions Lawyers for a 16-year-old girl, and her mother requested a stay preventing doctors from administering transfusions against her will. But the judge ordered a transfusion. The girl's father is also a Jehovah's Witness, but after reviewing Scriptures now believes there's nothing wrong with blood transfusions and favours the treatments to keep his daughter alive (added 02/22/2002).
    Father shunned by family for defying faith to save child
    The father of this girl is shunned by the Jehovah's Witnesses he once embraced since defying his faith by agreeing to blood transfusions for his 16-year-old leukemia-stricken daughter.
    (added 03/11/2002)

Teen's transfusions must continue: Court
    The Alberta Court of Appeal ruled that a young Jehovah's Witness from Calgary will have to continue getting blood transfusions. The 16-year-old girl, who suffers from leukemia, is not mature enough to make a decision that's crucial to her treatment, the high court said in upholding earlier rulings by lower courts.
    (added 04/27/2002)

Dying teen leaves Canada for treatment
    The father of a teenaged leukemia patient who fought against blood transfusions for religious reasons is upset that his wife has taken their daughter out of the country to a secret location where she'll begin alternative treatments.
    (added 07/22/2002)

Jehovah's Witness teen happy to be 17 years old A Canadian girl is undergoing alternative chemotherapy treatment at an undisclosed location in North America. She made headlines earlier this year when she refused to receive blood transfusions. Her battle has torn her family apart. Her parents are now embroiled in divorce proceedings, split over Mia's refusal to undergo blood transfusions. (added 08/21/2002)

Dad of Alberta girl who fought transfusions lashes out at Jehovah's Witnesses The grieving father of a 17-year-old Jehovah's Witness girl who died of leukemia says he intends to sue the religious group, claiming it destroyed his family and caused his daughter to fight against blood transfusions. (updated 09/07/2002)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

You know that makes me sick. You are correct they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. Growing up we were always told to not apply ourselves toward a higher education and to put "kindum" interests first. As many of us experianced we fell for their BS dreams and put our education on hold, for what? Broken dreams and crap jobs. Seems like as long as your willing to go along with the company line and defend pedofiles it is alright. My 2 cents worth... Kiss my butt you WT Hypocrates.

Will

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The CBA failed to mention that his minor clent died after making those medical choices

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

To be fair, Bethany did receive some blood transfusions. But it did raise the question if it was simply too late for them to be of any help.

There was also the issue of the mother and Bethel lawyers covertly placing her in another medical facility without informing the father so she could receive alternative treatments. It was this action that is behind much of Lawrence's current lawsuit.

Intentionally depriving the daughter of the loving support of her father certainly would NOT contribute to a quickened recovery, imo.

Shaking my head as to how anyone could determine this girl was making an independant, uninfluenced decision regarding medical treatment.

Uzzah

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i think the wt makes enron corp. look like saints. the wt truely has the world tricked, only satan can do that. i would put the wt in the same class as hitler. john

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Watchtower's lead attorney google top pick. Who is Philip Brumley?

Who is Philip Brumley? produced using NETGUI's In A Flash 3.0, visit www.netgui. com for details. The Watchtower's Attorney Phillip Brumley on child abuse. ...
    www.dannyhaszard.com/brumley/brumley.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

http://www.sarbanes-oxley-act-compliance.com/whistleblower/ Watchtower Whistleblower now linked to above. Inch by inch it's a cinch no rest for the wicked Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit