The Stem Cell experiment, good or bad?

by Brummie 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

What are stem cells?

Simply put, stem cells are primitive cells that give rise to other types of cells. Also called progenitor cells, there are several kinds of stem cells. Totipotent cells are considered the "master" cells of the body because they contain all the genetic information needed to create all the cells of the body plus the placenta, which nourishes the human embryo. Human cells have this capacity only during the first few divisions of a fertilized egg. After 3 - 4 divisions of totipotent cells, there follows a series of stages in which the cells become increasingly specialized. The next stage of division results in pluripotent cells, which are highly versatile and can give rise to any cell type except the cells of the placenta. At the next stage, cells become multipotent, meaning they can give rise to several other cell types, but those types are limited in number. An example of multipotent cells is hematopoietic cells?blood stem cells that can develop into several types of blood cells, but cannot develop into brain cells. At the end of the long chain of cell divisions that make up the embryo are "terminally differentiated" cells?cells that are considered to be permanently committed to a specific function.

Scientists have long held the opinion that differentiated cells cannot be altered or caused to behave in any way other than the way in which they have been naturally committed. New research, however, has even called that assumption into question. In recent stem cell experiments, scientists have been able to persuade blood stem cells to behave like neurons, or brain cells. Scientists now believe that stem cell research could reveal far more vital information about our bodies than was previously known.

What is the future of cell therapy?

Despite the many challenges before us, most scientists believe that cell therapy will revolutionize medicine. With the use of cell therapies, we may soon have dramatic cures for cancer, Parkinson's, diabetes, kidney disease, multiple sclerosis, macular degeneration and a host of other diseases. Cell therapies have also shown great promise in helping to repair catastrophic spinal injuries, and helping victims of paralysis regain movement. It is even possible that the human life span could be greatly extended due to the replenishment of tissues in aging organs. We may even have the ability one day to grow our own organs for transplantation from our own stem cells, eliminating the danger of organ rejection. While we will undoubtedly encounter the limits of cell therapy one day, there is every reason to hope that this revolutionary new approach will result in radically improved ways to treat disease.

I was recently at a genetics education meeting in Washington DC, the opinion there was that we are at the brink of some exciting new discoveries and that a jump in life expectancy for humans (in the 30 year range) was not far off.

Interestingly, you can donate the blood from your baby's umbelical cord to be used in embryonic stem cell research. I read that in a paper, recently, although I don't know how they do stem cell research with it, I know its being used.

Yes, it would be prudent, if abortions are done, to not throw away that life, but to use it for a purpose. But that is such a hot-button issue that people don't use their heads about it. But, there are other ways to get embryonic stem cells outside of abortion.

My only hesitation about all of this is wondering how many poor people will benefit? Health disparity is a huge issue, as much as more so as these diseases in their own right. Access to quality care, to the tests and the procedures, and the drugs needed to cure or live with chronic or dibilitating or terminal disease is very expensive. With no insurance it is likely that your options are limited or none.

I am not speaking to the politics of it here or what should or should not be done. But working at the Department of Health, I can tell you this issue is HUGE in this country.

Sherry
    (who is waiting now to get flamed)

• hybridous
    hybridous

Seems to me that once we can divorce the stem-cell issue from abortion, some real progress can be made. Then, the science can stand or fall on its own merits.

I guess someone better get crackin' on obtaining stem cells in a way that doesen't involve human embryos? I imagine once that happens, most objections would go away?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for the good discussion of the issue.

I thought the stem cells would be from frozen embryoes that would either stay frozen forever or be thrown out. That's what Kerry said in the debate that they would be from fertility clinics and wouldn't grow to humans anyway.

If they're going to be thrown out, why not use them? It doesn't seem to be "destroying life."

Pat

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I thought the stem cells would be from frozen embryoes that would either stay frozen forever or be thrown out. That's what Kerry said in the debate that they would be from fertility clinics and wouldn't grow to humans anyway.

Actually that results from the fact that Prez Bush restricted all stem cell research to be done on existing cells that we had on file at the time he passed the law. At the time I believe there were 60. Most of those became non-viable. At present, I think its down to 17. The amount of research that can be done on 17 is pitiable.

What Kerry was talking about was re-opening it to the cells from fertility clinics that go unused each year. There are thousands that are frozen and not used.

Sherry

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Also, in some countries where the research is legal, and where there is an abundance of stem cells, they have offered them to U.S. scientists to use! Even this is illegal (accepting them)!

• Carmel
    Carmel

It is not necessary to have abortions to access stem cells. It is only the most abundant supply. The stem cells actually have to differentiate into three types of cells, one that will eventually become endoderm cells, ones that become ecotoderm and the last group mesoderm. If you want to build nerve tissue you use endoderm, (if my memory serves me) skin tissue ectoderm and internal organs mesoderm. In any case, the potential is astounding as to the implications for restoring damaged tissue. Over simplfying the issue by fundamentalist politicians to pander to the Christian right is a sad day for conmmon sense and advancement of civilization.

carmel

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Brummie, I agree, and what about those awful women who eat life (sperm) just for their sick sexual thrills? *shudder* Every sperm is precious you know. And condoms! Don't get me started on people who don't at least bury their used, life filled condoms with at least a short ceremony and a date marker of some sort for a headstone. That's what's wrong with this world, people just don't respect life anymore, especially those damn whiny C4-C6 gimps!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Here's a good website for quick overview information on Stem Cells:

http://www.stemcellnetwork.ca/research/overview.php

• Dirt Rocker
    Dirt Rocker
    The identification of human pluripotent stem cells from embryonic and fetal tissue.

I am totally against stem cell experimentation!!! It is the same thing as abortion because they have to get the cells from fetuses and that kills the baby. And that is abortion.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I am totally against stem cell experimentation!!! It is the same thing as abortion because they have to get the cells from fetuses and that kills the baby. And that is abortion.

Actually it's not the same. The fetus has already been aborted before they get the stem cells. They do not kill the fetus to get the stem cells.. it's ALREADY dead.

This is the common misconception and why things will not progress like they should.

Also, just so it's more clear.. SOME stems cells can be gotten from adults, placentas and umbilical cords.. that's not abortion (or killing) either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit