The Stem Cell experiment, good or bad?

by Brummie 70 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Until someone can create a miracle by placing God over your ailement, we have to use

our brains to figure these things out. Obviously, you should not abort babies on purpose

(like purposely killing someone to harvest organs) to do this research. But, as many

know... when you get invitro fertilization, they harvest up to 8 or 10 eggs to fertilize.

If you get pregnant on the first try, you still have 7 or 8 fert. eggs left. They are probably

going to be frozen forever until they die anyway from time degeneration. Lets use those

and whatever happens happens! We need smart scientists!

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg
    Abortion I mean and when a fetus is considered living or not. Wouldn't you say it is living if it has a heartbeat?

Do, dirt...how do you feel about in-vitro fertilization? For a person to be moraly consistant about misuse of fertilized eggs, one would by definition have to be against in-vitro because a) you are playing god by the mere fact of fertilizing an egg in a dish and b) you get alot of wasted fertilized eggs that are simply destroyed because they are not required. Should all of those be brought to full gestation too? I heard a scientist today talking about population regulation. In 1968, there were a little over 3 billion people on this globe. Today, a mere 35 or so years later...there is more than double that ammount. If you want all these new babies...maybe you can offer some suggestions as to where they are all going to live and how you are going to feed all of them... Just food for thought. Ern

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    Yes, but so are bacteria. You're right, but that piece of data isn't neccesarilly an argument either way. It's like saying chlorophyll is green

It wasn't an argument for or against stem cell research. For the third time now, I've been saying I'm for it all along.

Some in earlier posts said that zygotes weren't actually alive or "life". That got me riled up becauseit simply wasn't true. One guess as to what in my past brough that knee-jerk reaction on ;).........so I posted what I did.

My other point was that since its living and there are still many people who ascribe a lot of value to life: Why not have it so that researches make use of all the viable embryos and zygotes available each year first, then go on to make fresh batches? Why be wasteful with these resources? Just to make a point about the amorality of nature?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I have a question for anyone AGAINST stem cell research: Hypothetically: it is realized in the near future that the usage of stem cells can "cure" (for lack of a better word) heart disease and/or Alzheimer's. If you develop heart disease and stem cells could save your life, would you use them? Or, even further.. your child develops a disease that stem cells can reverse.. in fact, it would save their life.. would you then use them?

• Valis
    Valis
    You are welcome to have those beliefs, but not to compel others to follow them.

I totally agree here and Dirt Rocker also offers no evidence of her supposed "6 years of study" on the subject. What a load! And this one wonders why people continually rip her a new one...

All that crap about heart beats and so forth is just an attempt at emotional blackmail. Stem cells are taken from embyos less than a week old...not living children meant to be born. I guess you only get to be young and ignorant once...sheesh..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Brummie
    Brummie
    You are welcome to have those beliefs, but not to compel others to follow them.

I agree with this too.

Playing devils advocate: Once the sperm has fertilised the egg that is the beginning of the human life cycle. Surely destroying the progress of that new life cycle is going to be an ethical and moral issue for some? Call it abortion or research, who are we to decide that natural life cycle is to be destroyed? Hand on heart, I would have great discomfort knowing I ended the life cycle of what is to become a new human being. I dont think I have the authority to do that, does anyone really?

I agree with abaddon but the following quote does raise a scientific issue, there is no cure for some kinds of tumor that could be caused by implanting Stem Cells:

Transplanting incompletely differentiated cells runs the serious risk of introducing cells with abnormal properties into patients. This is of particular concern in light of the enormous tumor–forming potential of embryonic stem cells.

While I remain unresolved so far, I can see that there are good reasons for people to argue against Stem Cells, just because they disagree with it doesnt make them religious bigots or of the " ignorant swine " class :) I can also see that those for it have valid reasons too.

Brummie (devils advocate class)

• heathen
    heathen

Well I don't want to play devils advocate on this issue . I think Brummie did some up the way I feel about it with the comment that , how are we to know which one would go full term if nature took it's course ? That's what I mean by playing God . I know full well that women already take birth control so as to kill off the cell before it forms an embryo .

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and everybody is entitled to disagree I'm not saying that what I say goes around here but am saying it's a decision for the nation to make and not just some politician who will only vote in the direction of the payoff .

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    it's a decision for the nation to make and not just some politician who will only vote in the direction of the payoff .

In this case, the end justifies the means. I don't care WHY he'd want to further stem cell research, as long as it gets done.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    who are we to decide that natural life cycle is to be destroyed? Hand on heart, I would have great discomfort knowing I ended the life cycle of what is to become a new human being. I dont think I have the authority to do that, does anyone really?

I don't know. But what is sure, is that there are unwanted embryos that are slated to be destroyed anyway. That's not going to change. So make use of these cells. You can forego any unsettling feelings you may have about whipping up new batches of zygotes.

• heathen
    heathen

Stinky Pantz--- It's your choice which politicians to elect in florida . Some are for and some are against , what I am more against is federal funding for the project in the guise of some sort of health care . Personally I don't even know who my representative are from texas but can assure that I won't be voting for them .LOL I don't really care who goes to washington as long as they are willing to listen to the voice of the people over their personal opinion .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit