Any Ebay-ers Out There?

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Eman I've bought some tobacco pipes, a Italian folding bicycle that once saved me from a skunk, and some antique radio equipment from ebay. A problem is that sometimes people on ebay tend to overestimate the value of what they are bidding on. Like any auction, you just have to let those slide by. I've only been burned once, and that was for a purchase of less then $10.00 so I am not to worried about it.

• Simon
    Simon

I've bought and sold a few things but really it's overrated and I do not think Ebay are a great company becasue they are happy to take the money but don't really want to put much effort into policing things and there is a lot of fraud.

Beware of getting carried away with a 'bargain' (that you can buy from woollies cheaper) and remember to check the postage price - some people add a fair whack to boost the final price (way more than the real postage costs).

As long as you are careful, do not buy massive high-value goods and check the sellers history then you should be ok.

It's just like a car-boot sale by post really. Some people are traders, some are selling counterfeit or stollen gear and others have just had a clear out and selling their unwanted stuff and junk.

• DebraDoll
  • gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Debra,

Do you ever get any malas or rudraksha beads for sale? I'm looking to buy.

• Englishman
    Englishman

..and I want to buy pottery items that have "Wesuma, TW Lemon" on the base.

It was our local pottery (WEston SUper MAre) and much of their stuff was distributed throughout the world.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: Sniping software can help you win an auction at a lower price by putting a winning bid in *just* before it closes.

Also, it will explain how you end up losing the bid when you are the winning bidder with just 30 seconds to go.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    If you really want something, make sure you are on your computer a few minutes watching it before the auction ends.

Or - for a small percentage of the purchase price - list the coveted item on www.auctionsniper.com. It's a pay-as-you-go service, and the first three "snipes" are free. Save this service for wildly popular items, though, or things it would absolutely devastate you to miss. I wouldn't hesitate to pay a few extra bucks to "snipe" an item from popular sellers like holyclothing.com or rgelber, or popular items like Palm Pilots.

I buy nearly all my clothing on eBay. I'm a women's size 24 (American; don't know what that is in European) and I don't like to pay more than $30-50 for an outfit. Before I started buying on eBay, my wardrobe was always either skimpy or ugly, because of these limiting factors. On top of that, my tastes run toward hashish-elegance. Post-eBay, my wardrobe has actually gotten *too* large.

When buying clothing on eBay, you MUST:

• buy from a seller with a very high positive feeback rating.
    • only buy items that have been well and clearly photographed. If you're not sure of the color, cut or condition from the pictures, let it go.
    • only buy items whose most crucial measurements are listed. For me, that's the bust measurement. Manufacturers often size their items whimsically.

I haven't seriously tried selling on eBay yet, and would appreciate any advice from those who have.

gently feral

• Englishman
    Englishman

WooHoo!

I got it!

alt

A fine example of Wesuma pottery, about 1920. Best yet, the vendor lives less than a mile away, so I'm off to collect my jug this morning.

Englishman.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

That's a nice looking Jug Eman... (Good job there weren't two!! )

I've been buying and selling for a while now, and have only encountered 1 'problem' seller - glad to say I've never been let down yet by a buyer.

Just apply common sense to all your transactions - e.g. would you send someone you don't know a huge cheque for an item you haven't seen ?? I wouldn't !! There are some cheque holding services available - they acknowledge receipt of your payment and tell the seller to send the item. You tell them you've received it and all is ok - they release the payment. Protection for buyer and seller (at a price!)

Feedback is usually a good indicator of someones ebay 'character' - I was so pissed off the first time I got negative feedback !! (Not deserved)

Cheers,

Bull!

• squinks
    squinks

I went on Ebay for a looksee for the first time on Saturday. I looked at shoes and I began to notice a pattern. The women's shoes described as "sexy". Stilettos and the like-were usually in a very large size, 10 or 11 in US sizes. Huge shoes in styles used by say. . . cross dressers and shoe fetish types. Well all I'm saying is that the stuff on ebay, well um . . . you don't know where its been. Just a thought

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit