Any Ebay-ers Out There?

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I'm becoming intrigued with dabbling on Ebay. I've made a bid for some goods and I'm waiting to see if I've "won".

Any advice for a newbie Ebay-er?

Buying, selling, whatever?

Is it possible to earn much money?

Any info will be gratefully received.

Englishman.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Don't get too addicted or you'll go broke!

Take it from me, I never knew how many items I couldn't possibly live without until I found eBay.

If you really want something, make sure you are on your computer a few minutes watching it before the auction ends. Lots of people like to bid in the last few seconds to win it at the lowest possible price without the chance of the previous highest bidder outbidding them. Make sure you read the feedback of every seller you are bidding on. If they have negatives, look at the comments made about them. See how they respond to the negative feedback and see if they leave retalitory negative feedback to the buyers. Make sure you thoroughly read the desciptions of everything, and get a paypal account if you can.

I know several people who make a lot of money on eBay and have a lot of fun with it, but I haven't got into that yet.

Hey, did you know that you can buy lots of JW stuff on eBay? Just type in Jehovah's Witnesses in the search bar. Yearbooks galore!

• core
    core

UK Inland Revenue have recently obtained all the records of sellers on ebay so as to check that they are paying any tax due on sales!

No escape from death and taxes

• kat2u
    kat2u

I do alot of business on ebay..Its like the worlds biggest garage sale.

I find things on ebay that I have looked for and cannot find other places

and often even items I could buy locally are more reasonable on ebay.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Thanks everyone.

I've found an old Doulton stoneware jug at home. An identical one has just sold at a USA shop for $250.

I'm going up in the attic..

Englishman.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I'm a regular ebayer, buyer and seller, though I have only sold CDs so far I will be putting JW books such as the 7 studies and Rutherfords rainbow on there as soon as I have sorted them out.

I think Nancy pretty much summed up the good advice. Always bid a few minutes before closing time, and use paypal for a quicker transaction and delivery. I have never had trouble with Paypal.

Brummie

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    I've found an old Doulton stoneware jug at home. An identical one has just sold at a USA shop for $250.

Don't you love it when that happens?

Nancy D. gave the same advice I was going to. Let me just reiterate: be careful! It's very addictive. About half of my enormous credit card debt can be attributed to my former ebay addiction (clean for two years, thank you very much). I was a collector of nothing specific, everything unusual and ebay is the place to find everything and nothing.

Just a side note: I'm still looking for an I-don't-know-what-you-call-it, but you know the old swing bands from the 1940s like Benny Goodman? The shell thingies the musicians stood behind that would have the initials of the band leader or some other cool art deco design on them. I want one of those. Not sure why, I just do. That's the only thing I've never been able to find on ebay.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I had a friend who bought a Halloween costume for their 5-year old at a discount store for $15.00. The next year, they sold it on E-bay, just before Halloween, for $30.00. Go figure.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I do a lot on ebay, and have made some good money too, selling vintage WTS books and mags. It's a good place to sell books, tapes, CD's. Rachel sells the kid's clothes and does really well.

I've looked on the bottoms of old plates and teacups that have been in our family for over 100 years, to estimate value, and found pieces I just had to have, that match the ones I have. It can be addictive.

Three years ago, I searched for dishes that matched the set my family had when I was a small child. I had a few pieces of the set, and loved it. I found it and now have a service for over 25, plus lots of serving pieces and platters. Very nostalgic.

This is the pattern.................from early 1900's.

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is the jug:

alt

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit