anyone read monday, september 27 "examining the scriptures daily"?

by evergreen 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• evergreen
    evergreen

I decided to have a look at the scripture for that day as it was sitting next to me whilst watching my daughters favorite programme the tweenies and noticed what the society had to say concerning false stories via E-mails etc.

mmmm rather interesting i thought .Any one else read it?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I never saw it. Can you post what it said?

• evergreen
    evergreen

"They received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind,carefully examining the scriptures daily as to whether these things were so" Acts 17:11

Like the first century Beroens, we should examine closely and then act on what we learn, turning down false stories and clinging to the truth.Among the false stories that we need to be on guard against are a great many sensational tales, often circulated by means of E mail.It is wise to be cautious about such tales, especially if we do not know the original source of the information.Even if an experience or story was sent by a reputable christian, that individual may not have first hand knowledge of the facts. That is why it is important to be cautious about repeating or forwarding unverified accounts.We surely would not want to repeat such ungodly myths," or "false stories which violate what is holy"---1 Tim 4:7; New international version. w 9?15/02 12,13a

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

what kind of false stories? you mean my man cant get 3 more inches? and i cant lose 99 pounds before november?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Even if an experience or story was sent by a reputable christian, that individual may not have first hand knowledge of the facts.

HA! HA! HA! That's real good. The horse is calling the kettle black.... or something.

Since when has the WTS been an authority on THE FACTS? Their literature is full of bullshit. When someone writes to them pointing out a mistake in their literature or their doctrine, they respond by telling them to shut the fvvV up.

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Ha ha ha. LOL @ Candid. Good one. But I've heard you can spy into other people's email .....maybe an ungodly rumor?

~Snap

• Quotes
    Quotes

The funny thing is: If at a Judical Committee charged with Apostacy and you mention you have been following the example of the Bereans and examing the Watchtower's words's against the bible and you have found very many inconsistencies, that pretty much nails you as an apostate.

~Quotes, of the "carefully examining [my pants]" class

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Never did keep up with the Day Text, even when I was an elder-dub. Partly because the comments were often unrelated to the scripture and slanted to something that they wanted to say, rather than really "Examine the scriptures" as did the Beroerans. this is a typical example. Why slate e mails and the net?

Of course they themselves love relating experiences and stories, without crediting the source. Will this practise now cease?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I hated the Daily Text book (daily indoctration). It didn't give me a good mindset for the day. What I was really thinking was "Shut the @#$% up mom, I hear this crap all the time at the meetings"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Funny that they relate this text to this topic if they really target "apostate" stuff. Because they are calling people to check if it is true, whereas actually it is the last thing they expect them to do.

Of course "check for yourselves" often means "you don't need to check, we have done it for you".

About the disconnection between text and commentary, I remember in the French Bethel (in the 80's) the only rule was, ask a question and them make your 1 minute comment. But the question and subsequent answer could be completely disconnected from the initial text, and some made quite a game of playing dumb with it. For instance, a friend of mine once asked "What was Beth-Sarim?" and told the whole Rutherford story to a puzzled audience, while alluding to the present use of Bethel facilities. Don't ask me what text he managed to connect that to...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit