"Friendship with the world"

by Schizm 108 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

THIS THREAD MAKES "ALMOST" AS MUCH SENSE AS READING A PUBLICATION FROM THE WBTS.

FILLED WITH NONSENSE, BASED ON BELIEVING A BOOK PUT TOGETHER BY ANCIENT SELF SERVING RELIGIOUS LEADERS, AT THE DEMANDS OF A POLITICALY CONSCIOUS DICTATOR, NAMED CONSTANTINE.

HIS AGENDA WAS TO CREAT COHESION BETWEEN THE MANY FEUDING GROUPS OF PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

THIS BOOK "THE BIBLE" PROVED TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE, IN CONTROLING THE MASSES AND DELIVERED WHAT THE DICTATOR AND THE SELF SERVING AND POWER HUNGRY RELIGIOUS LEADERS WANTED.

IT IS OBVIOUSLY STILL EFFECTIVE TODAY.

Outoftheorg

• gumby
    gumby

Once again, people trying to disect some words and coming up with several different meanings to the authors intentions.

Why not look for the words the author used to determine what he meant by being ..."a friend of the world".

come from your cravings that are at war within you? You want something and do not have it; so you commit murder. And you covet something and cannot obtain it; so you engage in disputes and conflicts. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, in order to spend what you get on your pleasures. Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, "God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? But he gives all the more grace; therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

Everything in bold type....represented the world and it's actions such as,

Wrongful cravings, envying to the point of taking wrongful action, asking god for things that are forbidden by him such as wealth and pleasures instead of godly things. Being proud instead of being humble.

All these things he mentioned were things the world outside of christianity/judism practiced I guess. James...like the dubs, forgot to mention that their were "worldly" people who DIDN'T practice these things. If you believe the bible......then you must believe all non-believers are gods enemies......just like the dubs believe about the organisation.

The problem with this is......everyone who did these things became an enemy of god, yet every christian back then had these traits and were guilty themselves.

I guess god let those who tried the hardest not to be that way slide by eh?

Gumby

• Schizm
    Schizm

Neon,

Would you be so kind as to inform me about your current feelings towards the Bible and God? I would like to know where you are coming from in the things you say. Do you still believe in God, and that the Bible is His word? Thanks ahead of time for answering those two questions.

A much simpler explanation (remember Ockham's Razor?) is that they [the WTS] are just plain wrong about their interpretation of Revelation 13.

But even if you are right about the "wild beast" being the political governments....

Assuming that you still DO believe that the Bible is God's word, aren't you being unreasonable by your refusing to allow Revelation 13 to weigh in on the matter being discussed here? Your statements imply that you aren't so sure yourself about the meaning of Revelation 13, yet you express certainty when it comes to Romans 13. I've already shown that Romans 13, by itself, can easily be understood to mean something other than what you think it does ... which seems to have slipped by you. I didn't bring up Revelation 13 for the purpose of saying that it itself was necessary for getting a proper understanding of Romans 13. I merely pointed to it as further evidence that mine and FairMinds interpretation is correct. So you are mistaken to suggest that my interpretation of Romans 13 hinges on Revelation 13.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Do you still believe in God, and that the Bible is His word?

Yes and yes.

aren't you being unreasonable by your refusing to allow Revelation 13 to weigh in on the matter being discussed here?

No, I don't think so. Revelation 13 is a symbolic prophecy that can (and has!) been interpreted in any number of different ways. The common interpretation among Christians is that the "beast" is representative of a world leader (or perhaps a world power) that will dominate immediately prior to the return of Christ. Others have applied the meaning to a religious power, such as the papacy. The only group I know of that interprets the beast as meaning all human governments is Jehovah's Witnesses. One reason that their interpretation is not more widely accepted is likely that it flies in the face of so many other scriptures which demonstrate that human authority comes from God, not Satan - Romans 13 being a prime example of that.

Your statements imply that you aren't so sure yourself about the meaning of Revelation 13, yet you express certainty when it comes to Romans 13.

And with good reason. As I said, Revelation 13 is a prophecy of future events, couched in symbolism. It is subject to all kinds of different interpretations that can be advanced within the language contained in the chapter. Romans 13, however, is a straightforward exposition of doctrine. There's nothing difficult to understand in it. That's why I said we ought to be interpreting Revelation 13 in the light of Romans 13, and not the other way around. And such an interpretation would rule out the understanding that the "beast" could be all political governments, since one thing we know about the beast is that it receives its power from Satan, and what we know about earthly governments from Romans 13 is that they receive their authority from God. Altering the clear intent of the plain words at Romans 13 to allow for a highly speculative interpretation of Revelation 13 is nothing more than twisting the scripture - something Jehovah's Witnesses are very good at.

I've already shown that Romans 13, by itself, can easily be understood to mean something other than what you think it does ...

No, I don't believe that you have. What you did say was:

The fact that the text at Romans 13 states that "there is no authority except by God" explains how it can be said that the authorities stand "placed" in their positions by God. In other words, were it not for God's allowing such governments the power that they possess they wouldn't exist.

But you are the one who is inserting the concept of allowing into the text. There is nothing in the context of Romans 13 that carries the idea of allowing. To say that "there is no authority except by God" does not imply that he allows authority, but that He establishes it. That this is true is further confirmed by the statement that these powers are placed in their positions by God. After the above assertions, you went right back to your interpretation of Revelation 13 for further support.

I'm glad we are having this discussion, because I had never pieced together in my mind before the fact that Romans 13 (and other texts, like Daniel 4) actually refute the Watchtower's interpretation of Revelation 13 - clearly, the same powers cannot receive their authority both from God and from Satan. Since we must interpret vague and symbolic statements in light of plainer ones (and that is a commonly accepted rule of Biblical interpretation), Romans 13 would have to rule in the sense of actually meaning what it says - governments of men receive their authority from God. Therefore, these same governments could not possibly also comprise the "beast," which is explicitly said to receive its authority from Satan.

• onacruse
    onacruse

NeonM:

I'm glad we are having this discussion, because I had never pieced together in my mind before the fact that Romans 13 (and other texts, like Daniel 4) actually refute the Watchtower's interpretation of Revelation 13 - clearly, the same powers cannot receive their authority both from God and from Satan. Since we must interpret vague and symbolic statements in light of plainer ones (and that is a commonly accepted rule of Biblical interpretation), Romans 13 would have to rule in the sense of actually meaning what it says - governments of men receive their authority from God. Therefore, these same governments could not possibly also comprise the "beast," which is explicitly said to receive its authority from Satan.

Yes, an interesting conundrum: Either God is in charge of the world, or It isn't. If the powers that be are by It's will, then who's to argue about the legitimacy of such powers? otoh, if the powers that be are not by It's will, then who's to say that those powers are to be ignored? Is Satan so powerful that he can over-ride the will of It?

Or, perhaps, the Bible is nothing less than a way of trying to control people by bending our minds and imposing hypothetical penalties for non-compliance.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I've already shown that Romans 13, by itself, can easily be understood to mean something other than what you think it does ...--Schizm.

No, I don't believe that you have. What you did say was:
    The fact that the text at Romans 13 states that "there is no authority except by God" explains how it can be said that the authorities stand "placed" in their positions by God. In other words, were it not for God's allowing such governments the power that they possess they wouldn't exist.--Schizm.

It STILL seems like a perfectly legitimate & reasonable understanding of the text of Romans 13 to me, but you don't agree of course. I personally have no difficulty in seeing that the world's governments rule solely by God's permission, and THAT is how they stand "placed" in their positions by God. Another thought: For you or anyone else to claim otherwise is to make God Himself responsible for any and all deeds that governments perform, whether they be good or wicked. If, like you say, God puts the govenments into place in the sense that He establishes such governments then would He not have to take full blame for what rulers such as Hitler have done? I would think so! So far you've offered no explanation for this particular problem that arises due to interpreting Romans 13 the way that you and others do.

The only group I know of that interprets the beast as meaning all human governments is Jehovah's Witnesses. One reason that their interpretation is not more widely accepted is likely that it flies in the face of so many other scriptures which demonstrate that human authority comes from God, not Satan - Romans 13 being a prime example of that.

Of course that's YOUR opinion that "it flies in the face of other scriptures". In MY opinion, though, the scriptures are consistant with my take on the matter.

I'm glad we are having this discussion, because I had never pieced together in my mind before the fact that Romans 13 (and other texts, like Daniel 4) actually refute the Watchtower's interpretation of Revelation 13 - clearly, the same powers cannot receive their authority both from God and from Satan.

The "fact" is that texts like Romans 13 and Daniel 4 do NOT refute such an interpretation of the wild beast. Perhaps you would like to explain the reason why you think Daniel 4 disproves my take on Revelation 13. Too, I wonder how it's possible for anyone who is acquainted with the 7th chapter of Daniel to fail to associate the 4 beasts there with the beast of Revelation 13. The connection is undeniable, and that the wild beast of Revelation 13 is a political entity can't be disproved.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As none of the NT writers was in a position to change anything to the Roman empire politics, they came out with a worldview in which governments are "above us", in some unaccessible height. Either from God (Romans 13; 1 Peter 2:13ff) or from Satan (Luke 4:6; Revelation). In either case, as many Christian observers are aware, the NT views on politics are totally irrelevant to a democratic setting where, like it or not, we are responsible for governments which are supposed to represent nobody but us. This obvious difference the WT and many others failed to see.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Schizm:

I personally have no difficulty in seeing that the world's governments rule solely by God's permission, and THAT is how they stand "placed" in their positions by God.

And so I have a pit-bull, and it gets out of my yard and mauls an innocent child. Who's to blame? The dog? The child? Or...ME?

If God allows the world to be as it is (as, ostensibly, God has), then God is responsible for the way the world is, and he can't get off that hook.

• Schizm
    Schizm

onacruse,

And so I have a pit-bull, and it gets out of my yard and mauls an innocent child. Who's to blame? The dog? The child? Or...ME?

If God allows the world to be as it is (as, ostensibly, God has), then God is responsible for the way the world is, and he can't get off that hook.

So what you're saying is that God is responsible for YOUR carelessness? You're saying that since He allowed you to be careless to the point of not controlling your dog that He has to take the blame for the damage your dog did because He allowed you that freedom? Do you really think your reasoning is sound? I don't, of course.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Schizm:

So what you're saying is that God is responsible for YOUR carelessness?

No. I'm responsible for my carelessness, and willingly so, and paying for it even as I post.

Is God willing to step up to that same plate?

No. It says this and that, and done with it, and burn any of you that don't agree.

Oh, and It gave me the freedom to be careless, and yet subsequently expects me to answer for my carelessness, in front of the judgement seat of the Logos? Then why isn't God called up to the same evaluation (perhaps, a self-evaluation)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit