Nourishment for the Spirit

by Maximus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Belmont
    Belmont

Intensive reading has certainly helped me. Ray Franz's books, of course, and also First World War poetry. The horror of that experience, and the elation of being free struck a chord with me.

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
    And I was filled with such delight
    As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
    Winging wildly across the white
    Orchards and dark-green fields; on-on-and out of sight......
    Siegfried Sassoon.

It's so great to be free, as he says, "the singing will never be done".

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Since the biggest issue I take up with WTS teachings is the "shunning" aspect, "Moments With The Savior" - Ken Gire, is one of my favorite reads. It captures moments different people had with Christ while on earth. This book helped me look at Jesus as a human with emotions, thoughts, a sense of humor - not some helper in heaven making check-marks next to my name in a big book. I really learned to appreciate God and Jesus as compassionate, loving, level-headed, judicious beings. It helped me turn my relationship with them around!

I have just picked up Ray Franz's CoC. Talk about enlightening! WOW! I had no idea...

Billygoat

• Maximus
    Maximus

For "troubled," with much compassion.

Max

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

So weekend guest have something substantial to consider.

Jerry

• sf
    sf

A tidbet re: J. Stuart RUSSELL:

< http://www.geocities.com/lord_visionary/the_russell_bloodline.htm

A portion:

J. Stuart Russell - Mason and newspaper editor and deputy chairman of the Fed. Reserve Bank in Chicago.20

Same guy?

RUSSELL family was quite "da fam".

sKally

• Maximus
    Maximus

Some terrific thoughts for new lurkers who are inquiring ...

Maximus

• joelbear
    joelbear

Wow, so many great books listed here. I need to make a list for myself.

I would add

Guns, Germs and Steel, The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Anything by Kurt Vonnegutt, but especially Galapagos, Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five.

Anything by Isaac Asimov, but especially the Foundation Series.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi Joelbear.

That's the second time in two days I've seen someone mention Asimovs' Foundation Trilogy. I think the other was on your "Get a Life" thread.

I'm a big fan of all Asimovs scifi stuff. Both Foundation Trilogies are great, as well as his Robot detective novels.

I'm also into Frank Herberts "Dune" stuff. Again a first and second trilogy, although I definitely prefer the first three.

Arthur C Clarke is another favourite.

On a humourous note I love Terry Pratchet and his Discworld series.

• Makena
    Makena

Maximus great topic. Larc thanks for bringing back to mind the Twain book that I have been wanting to read - Christian Science. Read a great review in the American Airlines mag many years ago, and then slipped my mind.

Twain is a favorite of mine. Here is a link to some of his famous pithy sayings on a wide variety of topics: http://www.twainquotes.com/

My wife and I live part of the year in Hawaii. I read Michener's Hawaii many years ago as JW - read it again as an ex and it enjoyed it even more. Exploitation, greed, narrow mindedness = organized religion. Wonderful story. Especially liked the speculation of one of the descendants of the original missionaries on how his forbears could have conceived children in the tiny confines of the ship the sailed on.

Mr. Moe - feel your pain about the exploitation of women. My wife gave me a fictional book to read that told part of the story of the "comfort women" of WWII. Told the story from the perspective of pre-and post WWII family in Hawaii. Sorry can't recall the title at the moment. The unspeakable horror that these women were subjected to made me numb for weeks. Some reparations are being made, but nothing will repay the suffering. Here is a link: http://csf.colorado.edu/bcas/sample/comfdoc.htm

Poisonwood Bible - by Barbara Kingsolver. Tells the story of a Baptist minister who takes his wife, four daughters to the Belgian Congo in 1959. The tragic events are told from the perspective of each of the family. Should be required reading if are thinking of attending Gilead.

Had some serious doubts about "the arrangement" locally, suffered some terrible personal tragedies, and THEN read Ray Franz's books. The candor and honesty just flowed, and helped me remove the rosey colored glasses I had been wearing for 42 years.

Also a science affliction addict. Love Sherry Tepper's books, Katherine Kurtz Deryni novels, and am currently reading the latest on, "King Kelson's Bride".

Makena - newbie, but glad to be here.

• Tina
    Tina

OMg farkel,you brought up L Saunders!1 I thought and still do that The Tommorrow File was ahead of it's time! One of my all time favs!

And MD-Your pkg is late because I started flipping thru P** Stories for the SOul and couldn't put it down heheheheheheheh-I must be old when I read of the Diggers,Kesey and the Pranksters and know who they are lol. luv to all,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit