Nourishment for the Spirit

by Maximus 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

Mark Twain. Yes! Skewered the arrogant windbag, punctured the pompous with wit. So you thought he just wrote Huckleberry Finn?

From "What Is Man?" -- On conscience and our duty to teach "truth"

"We are creatures of outside influences—we originate nothing within. Whenever we take a new line of thought and drift into a new line of belief and action, the impulse is ALWAYS suggested from the OUTSIDE. Remorse so preyed upon the Infidel that it dissolved his harshness toward the boy's religion and made him come to regard it with tolerance, next with kindness, for the boy's sake and the mother's. Finally he found himself examining it. From that moment his progress in his new trend was steady and rapid.

"He became a believing Christian. And now his remorse for having robbed the dying boy of his faith and his salvation was bitterer than ever. It gave him no rest, no peace. He MUST have rest and peace--it is the law of nature. There seemed but one way to get it; he must devote himself to saving imperiled souls. He became a missionary.

"He landed in a pagan country ill and helpless. A native widow took him into her humble home and nursed him back to convalescence. Then her young boy was taken hopelessly ill, and the grateful missionary helped her tend him. Here was his first opportunity to repair a part of the wrong done to the other boy by doing a precious service for this one by undermining his foolish faith in his false gods. He was successful. But the dying boy in his last moments reproached him and said: 'I believed, and was happy in it; you have taken my belief away, and my comfort. Now I have nothing left, and I die miserable; for the things you have told me do not take the place of that which I have lost.' And the mother, also, reproached the missionary, and said: 'My child is forever lost, and my heart is broken. How could you do this cruel thing? We had done you no harm, but only kindness; we made our house your home, you were welcome to all we had, and this is our reward.'

"The heart of the missionary was filled with remorse for what he had done, and he said: 'It was wrong--I see it now; but I was only trying to do him good. In my view he was in error; it seemed my duty to teach him the truth.' Then the mother said: 'I had taught him, all his little life, what I believed to be the truth, and in his believing faith both of us were happy. Now he is dead--and lost; and I am miserable. Our faith came down through centuries of believing ancestors; what right had you, or any one, to disturb it? Where was your honor, where was your shame?' The missionary's anguish of remorse and sense of treachery were as bitter and persecuting and unappeasable, now, as they had been in the former case.

"The story is finished. What is your comment? Y.M. The man's conscience is a fool! It was morbid. It didn't know right from wrong. O.M. I am not sorry to hear you say that. If you grant that ONE man's conscience doesn't know right from wrong, it is an admission that there are others like it. This single admission pulls down the whole doctrine of infallibility of judgment in consciences."

M

• larc
    larc

Maximus,

That is a powerful story. It seems to me that, that implys something for us. I don't think we should destroy a person's belief system unless we can help them recover from that loss. I think for some Witnesses, that ignorance is bliss and they should be left alone.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Exactly. Difficult for me to come to terms with, even painful ... That may sustain them when they eventually contemplate the ceiling tiles in the nursing home at the end of the road.

Some need other kinds of crutches. Should I kick them away because in my wisdom I see them as unnecessary?

Max

• Quester
    Quester

Thanks again for another great thread, Maximus.

I have Brown's Intro to NT, which is very good.
    Brown also has a little easy to read paperback called:
    "Responses to 101 Questions on the Bible"
    A great starter book for modern day Bible scholarship
    questions/issues.

BOOKS:

I have read a lot of really good books, but if I had to narrow
    it down to only 2 or 3, the ones that changed me the most are:

======================
    1. "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse", by
    David Johnson and Jeff VanVonderen
    ======================

I found that book when I was still in the jw religion and
    very unhappy and very confused about what was wrong.
    I did not leave the jw religion for doctrinal issues,
    I left because of behavioral reasons.

That was a "safe" book for me to read as a jw because
    I would not read anything written by an xjw.

For the first time someone put a name to what
    was happening to me--spiritual abuse.

===============================
    2. Books written by Marcus Borg, most significant:
    "Meeting Jesus For The First Time"
    "The God We Never Knew"
    =================================

I discovered Borg's books about 10 months ago
    and haven't been the same since.

This was the first time that I was introduced to
    modern day Bible scholarship and alternative
    views of Christianity and the Bible. This just
    opened up a whole new world for me.

It introduced me to several new things.
    A. The Historical Jesus Quest
    B. A nonliteral understanding of the Bible
    C. Other Christians who do not accept the
    traditional understanding of the trinity.
    D. Alternative ways to conceptualize God.
    Supernatural theism as just one way to image God.

Borg is a nontraditional Christian and his books
    are positive, easy reads.

Quester

• Quester
    Quester

Also, I wanted to say that was a very moving story you
    shared, Maximus.

larc wrote:
    "I don't think we should destroy a person's belief system
    unless we can help them recover from that loss. I think for
    some Witnesses, that ignorance is bliss and they should be
    left alone."

I add a hearty AMEN to that!

I think that if a jw is happy in that religion,
    they should be left alone.

It's been a tough, often lonely, road--exiting, recovering,
    tearing down beliefs, and trying to find new building materials
    to strengthen myself spiritually.

For those who are unhappy and feel trapped and want out,
    I would offer support and help if I could, though.

Quester

• Kent
    Kent

The Parousia - A study of the New Testament Doctrine of Our Lord's Second Coming, by J. Stuart Russell has been one of the great books. Originally written in 1887, it's one of the books that in a clear way shows it's readers there is more than one way to read the Bible.

I believe anyone that do read this book will never again fear Armageddon!

To quote my friend Norm: "Life before and after J. Stuart Russell".

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

First of course was CofC then ISCF by Ray Franz. Before I finished CofC I couldn't go back to any meetings. I'm so relieved now, of mental conflict that developed after every meeting life is just beginning to feel pleasant again.(wasn't always a drone)
    I just finnished "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer,It had some interesting applications to WT'dom, almost makes it seem as they know what their doing, as far as mind control tactics go.

HCM

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

Will post favs later.

There is a wonderful ezine called "Ship of Fools--the Magazine of Christian Unrest," which taught me that there are serious religious groups that don't take things seriously and can poke fun at themselves. Hilarious.

http://ship-of-fools.com/

Jerry
    URL corrected

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Maximus,

Thanks for this thread. It's good to see that many of our happy posters are well-read.

Mrs Ozzie and I have gone through literally scores of books since we started on our road to Christian freedom. Like most others we started with Ray Franz's two books, and followed with Jim Penton's scholarly tome.

We got through many books and publications that helped us be thoroughly convinced that the Borg is teaching error as truth.

Then we discovered the commentaries of Martyn Lloyd Jones. We needed to replace the 'negative' reading with the 'positive'. His collection of volumes commenting on the Bible book of Romans are brilliant.

Other books we are currently reading are:
    Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up by David W Bercot. Published by Scroll Publishing, Texas
    Eusebius-The Church History by Paul L Meier. Published by Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids
    The Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren. Published by Zondervan
    10 Answers to Life's Most Perplexing Problems Published by Multnomah Books, Oregon.

The book by Bercot is a real challenge. He shows that many of the teachings of churches today are not what the early church taught. I thought he might be going to endorse the JDubs but, no, he doesn't!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• AlanF
    AlanF

I've read many, many books that were helpful to my understanding. Far too many to try to list, but I'll try to remember a smattering.

The ones with the most impact for me were books on geology and biological evolution. They showed that simple observed facts show that many of the Bible stories are just that -- stories. Some of the books I read are not the best ones in their field, but they gave me enough information to go on to look into better books.

Beginning in the early 1950s, geologists made a number of discoveries, in the field and in theory, that resulted in the modern theory of plate tectonics. Continental drift is part of that. A particularly interesting book on the development of these ideas and the scientists who developed them is The Road to Jaramillo. The title refers to the location of the place where the final bits of information were found that allowed geologists to put absolute dates on rocks that indicated continental drift, and resulted in the wide acceptance of plate tectonics.

Beginning in the 1960s, geologists also developed much better understandings of the ice ages and their cyclical nature. The basic ideas of one Milutin Milankovich came to be accepted, which show that ice ages come and go with a basic cycle of about 100,000 years, which corresponds to a basic orbital cycle of the earth around the sun in which the point of closest approach to the sun in an orbit makes a complete cycle every 100,000 years. This means that the closest approach sometimes occurs when the northern hemisphere is in summer, and sometimes when it is in winter. There are other cycles corresponding roughly to about 43,000, 22,000 and 19,000 years. The book Ice Ages (not absolutely sure about the title) by Imbrie and Imbrie shows how geologists made many discoveries in ocean sediment cores, ice cores and other places that showed conclusively that climate changes indeed occurred with these periods, and further indicated that we've undergone some 30 such cycles over the last 3 million years.

One of my favorite books on the evolution/creation controversy is Scientists Confront Creationists by Laurie Godfrey. It shows how creationists ignore and misrepresent physical evidence so as to 'prove' their religious beliefs.

Several books showed me how the story of Noah's Flood is actually two stories melded into one. My first introduction to this notion was Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. When you put the two extracted stories side by side and read them together, it becomes obvious that each story stands on its own, and makes complete sense on its own, and that some of the information in each is not compatible with the information in the other. Clearly, some redactor combined two ancient myths.

A particularly interesting book for me was Cataclysms on the Columbia. It tells the personal story of how a determined geologist, J Harlan Bretz, discovered that massive ice age floods had shaped much of the topography of eastern Washington. A careful consideration of all of the geological features of this area, and how these massive floods fit in, completely disproves the notion of a global Noah's Flood.

The book The Historical Approach to the Bible by Howard Teeple shows how a careful, scholarly approach to understanding the Bible, as opposed to the blindly accepting approach used by Biblical Inerrantists, shows that the Bible is indeed the product of fallible humans. It shows how various New Testament writers pulled OT material out of context in order to 'prove' their beliefs about Jesus. Clearly, this grasping at straws such as the writer of Matthew displays, shows that the Bible is not inspired.

Sifting through large amounts of information like this is difficult but extremely rewarding. Somewhere along the line, as one matures and puts it all together into a reasonably coherent picture, one realizes that one does not need to have some other 'place' to go to in order to be comfortable with the fact that much of what one learned as a JW is nonsense. One realizes that simply by being in this intellectual journey, one is already 'there', and one does not need the emotional crutch of being told that one has absolute truth from an ancient book or from a modern organization. The journey itself is the goal. And a worthy one.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit